Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between Peter and Judas ? More specifically, what is the difference between Peter falling away and Judas falling away ? And finally, why did Peter and not Judas repent and persevere ?

No debating in thread.

Post opinions, preferably with specific explicit scripture references with respect to the OP questions.

icamewithasword

Mine enemy is the Enemy [and Lib Christian Theo]
Mar 17, 2009
Benton, AR
✟15,778.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between Peter and Judas ? More specifically, what is the difference between Peter falling away and Judas falling away ? And finally, why did Peter and not Judas repent and persevere ?

No debating in thread.

Post opinions, preferably with specific explicit scripture references with respect to the OP questions.

Brother PB,

Did Judas EVER believe Jesus as Christ? I think Judas was chosen in the twelve to be exactly who he was so that he could do what he did (if that makes sense). Repentance and faith being two sides of the same coin; and Judas being without faith; repentance was not possible for Judas.
Jesus had plans for Peter.
Peter; though at times 'unfaithful', had faith in Jesus as Christ....therefore he could repent and persevere.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

No debating in thread.

I believe Judas was looking for the Jesus who wields a sword, a political leader who would lead a rebellion against Rome. Peter, on the other hand, was open to the redeemer Jesus, a Jesus that Peter felt needed his protection. It was Peter who wielded a sword cutting off a servant of the high priest's ear when Jesus was being led away for trial. There are other examples as well.

Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said, "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." [Lk. 22:31-32/NASB]

Jesus prayed for Peter. He did not pray thusly for Judas. Peter was restored and forgiven. Judas was not. Sovereign grace in action.

Upvote 0

Phileoeklogos

Alten Schule Baptist
Mar 8, 2006
OHIO
✟8,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Joh 6:45It is written in the Prophets, 'And they will all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me--

Mat 16:15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
Mat 16:16 Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

Rom 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
Rom 8:30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Judas was a theif, plain and simple:

"This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein." -Jn. 12:6 (KJV)

Judas was not "saved" to begin with. He did not believe in what Jesus taught, and, we see no visible works which prove Judas was a believer.

While scriptures state that both Peter and Judas "repented", Judas on the other hand, had his sentence pronounced before he betrayed Jesus:

"The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born." -Mt. 26:24 (KJV)

Therein is the difference.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0