Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a personal dilemma, and I would like to ask the advice of the forum concerning it. My partner and I have an 11 year old Dachshund who was diagnosed this morning with detached retinas in both eyes, causing permanent and total blindness. It was obvious a few days ago that he was having trouble seeing, which is what prompted the vet visit. For the past few days, BooBoo (the dog) has been completely lethargic, seemingly depressed, and apparently miserable.

He's alone in the house all day long since we both work, and it's a brand new house we just built and closed on in late August. I don't believe he's had enough time between moving in the new home and losing his sight to get a good feel for his new surroundings. Further, he was always an extremely tame dog, never biting anyone, and always loved meeting new people - usually greeting them with several licks the to the face. In the past week, however, he's bitten a small child (not a serious bite, just a nip - and the kid wasn't a stranger to him), and growled and snapped at a very close friend of ours who the dog knows well.

I'm at a loss for what to do. My gut feeling says that we should have him put to sleep. But my selfishness contradicts the gut feelings.

What would you guys do?

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My personal rule is to do euthanasia if the pet has an alment that is terminal, and more care is only going to prolong the pain. Your case doesn't fit that so at a guess I would try to help him get use to the house. If one of you can, work from home. Or if you can't take a week off and be around him and help him get use to the house.

This will take time and there is a chance it will not work. If his aditude doesn't improve you will have to decide if you want to keep him from visitors.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You can donate your pet to the youth in asia. They may or may not want it over for dinner.

I don't understand why people feel fine about killing pets who get old, but balk at doing it to people. I would think those okay with killing would be okay with it and those who are not would be against it.

Upvote 0

jedilily

The Imperial Jedi
Apr 23, 2012
usa
✟7,611.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have a personal dilemma, and I would like to ask the advice of the forum concerning it. My partner and I have an 11 year old Dachshund who was diagnosed this morning with detached retinas in both eyes, causing permanent and total blindness. It was obvious a few days ago that he was having trouble seeing, which is what prompted the vet visit. For the past few days, BooBoo (the dog) has been completely lethargic, seemingly depressed, and apparently miserable.

He's alone in the house all day long since we both work, and it's a brand new house we just built and closed on in late August. I don't believe he's had enough time between moving in the new home and losing his sight to get a good feel for his new surroundings. Further, he was always an extremely tame dog, never biting anyone, and always loved meeting new people - usually greeting them with several licks the to the face. In the past week, however, he's bitten a small child (not a serious bite, just a nip - and the kid wasn't a stranger to him), and growled and snapped at a very close friend of ours who the dog knows well.

I'm at a loss for what to do. My gut feeling says that we should have him put to sleep. But my selfishness contradicts the gut feelings.

What would you guys do?

Personally I would give BooBoo more time to adjust to his condition. It is undoubtedly frightening. During this adjustment period I would keep him away from visitors. And when he seems to have adjusted I would caution visitor as to his condition and make sure they take it slow and easy. Giving BooBoo a chance to reacquaint himself to people.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What would you guys do?

When I was growing up, we had a German Shepherd that went blind at about 8 and we didn't put her down until she was 10.

Was it difficult to watch? Yes, but dogs adapt to blindness, just as people do and your dog will adapt, even in a new house.

When I have put dogs down, it has been related to physical pain from terminal illnesses. Right now, your dog is not going through the best of times, but they will get better for him or her.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

What would you guys do?

What you describe is consistent with BooBoo being in pain.

For now I'd suggest giving him some more time to adjust and monitoring him closely.

If he starts leaving food or worse stops eating it is time for a trip to the vet and you need to be ready for bad news.

I would strongly suggest you do what things you can with him that he enjoys. That is best for you and him.

EDIT: From all I have been told dogs depend a lot less on sight than humans do. The upside of that is he has a far better chance of adjusting to blindness. The bad side is it means he still recognized the person he growled at.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What would you guys do?

NO way. You don't kill this poor dog simply because he's getting old and losing his eyesight, and you and your partner have chosen a life that leaves him home alone all day, and in a new home he isn't familiar with! Euthanasia is the last resort only, for animals who are already dying and are suffering beyond what can be helped.

Put an ad on Craigslist, and find him a nice, quiet, comfortable home with an older person or couple who will pamper him and love him for the rest of his golden years.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd suggest talking to a dog trainer to see if there are any methods you could use to get him to adjust to his new sensory layout.

I remember seeing a show on training a deaf dog. He was very confused and would snap and growl at people if he was touched. I don't remember everything this trainer did, but it was all about adapting the humans movement and behavior to the dog's lack of hearing. Things like not coming up behind the dog (because it'd frighten him since he couldn't hear), using defined hand gestures since he couldn't differentiate similar ones, etc.

There may be some techniques to use for a blind dog that can help him acclimate and feel more comfortable, and help alleviate those symptoms you're seeing.

I wish you and your furry friend lots of luck!

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not giving my dog away. Further, we didn't "choose" a life that means he's home all day alone. We have to work. I thank all of you for your advices so far, too.

Two adults with no kids can survive on a single income, or one person working part time, unless there's some kind of extenuating circumstance. Or do you guys have children in the home and I just never knew that?

Why wouldn't you rather give him to someone who can love him and give him the attention and care he needs and deserves if the only other option is killing him? You'd rather kill your dog than offer him a longer life where he's taken care of and loved? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not giving my dog away. Further, we didn't "choose" a life that means he's home all day alone. We have to work. I thank all of you for your advices so far, too.

When you are not working, you could walk the dog around the house on a leash, so he can become familiar with the surroundings, which he will.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My dachshund went blind and deaf. We were able to adjust the house to prevent injury. With help, he was able to learn the layout reasonably quickly. Things were not the same, but he seemed happy.

This is new for your dog, and as long as he doesn't really bite anyone it may just be part of the adjusting.

The big issue seems to be time. Being alone in the dark is probably really scary. Having someone check in a couple of times a day would help a lot.

My suggestion is to block stair wells and tie rope around any banister that he can fit through. Make him safe and see how things work.

As a final option, have you considered a blind dog rescue?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Two adults with no kids can survive on a single income, or one person working part time, unless there's some kind of extenuating circumstance. Or do you guys have children in the home and I just never knew that?

Nah, we don't have any kids in the house. Further, we want more than to simply "survive." We just built a new house for crying out loud, so now we both definitely have to work! :p

Why wouldn't you rather give him to someone who can love him and give him the attention and care he needs and deserves if the only other option is killing him? You'd rather kill your dog than offer him a longer life where he's taken care of and loved? :scratch:

I'd rather him be dead and not suffering than be alive and be suffering. It's really as simple as that. But if we do decide not to put him to sleep, he will remain with us - that part is absolutely non-negotiable.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My dachshund went blind and deaf. We were able to adjust the house to prevent injury. With help, he was able to learn the layout reasonably quickly. Things were not the same, but he seemed happy.

This is new for your dog, and as long as he doesn't really bite anyone it may just be part of the adjusting.

The big issue seems to be time. Being alone in the dark is probably really scary. Having someone check in a couple of times a day would help a lot.

My suggestion is to block stair wells and tie rope around any banister that he can fit through. Make him safe and see how things work.

As a final option, have you considered a blind dog rescue?

Good advice, thanks. Thankfully, the only stairwell we have leads UP from the main floor, and he's never once tried to go upstairs - even when he could see. He's too small to traverse a staircase that goes up. He couldn't make it if he tried. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd rather him be dead and not suffering than be alive and be suffering. It's really as simple as that. But if we do decide not to put him to sleep, he will remain with us - that part is absolutely non-negotiable.

Being blind isn't suffering, though. It shouldn't be painful, and it certainly won't end his life. It's a new condition that he can adjust to, with patience and diligence and some creative thinking!! It's not a reason for him to die, my goodness.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Being blind isn't suffering, though. It shouldn't be painful, and it certainly won't end his life. It's a new condition that he can adjust to, with patience and diligence and some creative thinking!! It's not a reason for him to die, my goodness.

Being blind isn't why I'd put him down. It's the fact that he's obviously miserable, depressed, and seems to be aggressive towards people other than myself and my partner. Hopefully, his mental state will improve once he adjusts, as you guys are suggesting.

Upvote 0

AdamG

Oct 6, 2014
✟7,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My heart goes out to you, your family and BooBoo.

From personal experience of having a blind dog, it's hard to see them struggle and adjusts but... It comes down to you helping them. This isn't preaching, please don't think that.

Our dog become depressed and took herself away to corners of the house as her sight became worse. We worked with her, and simple things like a ball with a bell in it still meant she could play in our garden.

We kept the house as similar as possible, moving furniture was a no no.

Walks were done in places where there were no other dogs as that would really stress her out if another dog came up and started sniffing or wanting to play.

We did this for 3 years and then after seeing an opthamoligist a month ago and undertaking a tricky operation we were able to restore 90% of her sight

Even if this hadn't of happened though we'd still have a wonderful dog.

It's hard, it's heart breaking and it's unfair but if you can cope, and she's in no pain, BooBoo will be your loyal friend and companion, even if she can't see you.

Xxx

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Good.

Anyone who would have you give him away knows little of dogs.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have some experience here on a few points.

Our family had an elderly dachshund years ago, right about your dog's age, that went blind and deaf. They didn't have him put down for that reason, but then he wandered out into the street without knowing it one day, and was hit, so we lost him anyway. If you do need to leave your dog unsupervised, please make sure he has no access to the street, that he is inside a house or a pen.

Which leads me to the second bit of experience: My husband and I had a cat that suffered a stroke that left her blind and partially deaf. Once she got her mobility back, you would never have known she was blind. She was able to get around very well. She then went on to develop a kitty form of senility and meowed a lot asking for help, but I am home all day and was able to provide her the help. For several weeks she lived on a cushion in the office, under our computer desk, and only came out to eat or use the litterbox. We had extra food and water dishes and an extra litterbox provided for her right near her cushion, so she didn't even need to leave the room. Our vet said as long as her appetite was still good and she was still eliminating, she would need extra care, but she wasn't really suffering. It wasn't until we knew for sure her kidneys had stopped functioning--I won't say how we knew, because it's kind of gross--that we had her put to sleep.

So, animals can function with lost senses just as people can. Just because an animal is blind or deaf does not mean the animal is suffering. Your little furry baby will need extra caution, but I don't see a reason to put him down for his medical condition. On his temperament, we have a cat that takes an anti-depressant. Maybe that will help, if your vet thinks it's necessary.

ETA: I just noticed your dog's name. Awwww. Our family's dachshund was named Yogi, by strange coincidence.

Hollywood%20Print%20Biz%201721%20Yogi%20and%20BooBoo%2028-6%20x%2067-8-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0