• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Pet Ashes

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by timothyu, Oct 27, 2020.

1. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,187
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Why is there still some stigma about a pet's ashes (or portion thereof) going down to be with their human in their casket or urn for eternity if the human so desires?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,819
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    First up, the human ashes won't be there for eternity. The human will rise from the dead. I don't know about the pet, but the pet ashes won't last for eternity anyway. I think it's a bit weird, but it is also none of my business. As far as I'm concerned, it is only the physical body that dies. I believe that God takes the spirit of the creature back to Himself when it dies. I'm not fussed about what happens to me when I die. My will says "cheapest funeral possible". Funerals are for those left behind. I'd rather my kids have a little extra money than spend it on a funeral.

3. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic Supporter

+10,654
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Why not do it the opposite way? So instead of your pet going down with you, why not go down with your pet?
    Just make arrangements to be cremated and reserve part of your ashes.
    Then when your pet dies, make more arrangements for them to be cremated, bury the cremains in your garden, and surround them with a ring of catnip, (if your pet is a cat) and your reserved ashes.

4. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+16,432
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Military cemeteries don't allow it, but... my family discovered that all ashes look much the same...

5. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,187
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Actually there seems to be no stigma there as people are allowed to be buried in a pet cemetery with their pet, but often not the other way around. How is the ashes of Rover or Kitty in the same urn or on a lap in a coffin the concern of anyone else?

6. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,085
    Atheist
    Married
    If you want to preserve a deceased pet for later burial with you (or just to keep your pet with you) s(he) can be be freeze-dried. No joke. It’s not taxidermy. The process maintains the shape and appearance pretty much indefinitely. Obviously, I don’t think it’s applicable for a horse, or for yourself (though human body parts can be freeze-dried. Check the link.) And it’s probably more costly than cremation. But it’s another option.

Freeze-Dried Pets Are Forever