• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Perspective of God

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
At the moment (as has been for a while) I’ve been wanting to get right with God, but my motivation has mostly been fear of hell. It’s one of the many roadblocks I’ve experienced to accepting forgiveness. A lot of people are afraid they can’t be forgiven because they think their sin is too big, but I doubt many of them are seeking reconciliation out of a self-preservation mindset. I’ve struggled with legalism for a long time, and I can tell you firsthand that it results in depression, anxiety, and possibly even OCD, from my experience. I think our perspective of God determines how we approach Him, so how can I approach Him with God-focused motives instead of self-focused motives? Thanks!

Ann77

Jun 30, 2020
California
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I totally understand. This article has helped me a bit because I also feared my motivation wasn't pure and sound. Sorry it's a bit long but worth the read:
Horatius Bonar - God's Way of Peace: Chapter 12 - Jesus Only

Added since you have a skewed image of God (like myself) I suggest you read
Meek and Lowly by Neal A. Maxwell. I haven't finished it. It is such a comforting book so far.

If you fear God as being angry at you all the time or looking for fault. Remember:
The Son is the image of the invisible God...
Colossians 1:15

He died for you and wants you to rest in His work

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
how can I approach Him with God-focused motives instead of self-focused motives? Thanks!

Let me put it this way.

The coast guard rescue service does not bother about the feelings of the guy they are racing to pull out of the sea, they are there to save his life. His embarrassment, his pride, his swimming ability is irrelevant, he has been reported as drowning and in need of rescuing and that is what they do.

Application.

You are a sinner, an enemy of God and face God's rightousness judgement and condemnation to an eternity apart from him.

Unless you swallow your pride, admit you are a sinner and ask Jesus to save you.

Your feelings, motivation etc etc etc are irrelevant, get saved you can sort out everything else as you grow in your love and knowledge of Jesus.

Get saved.

Upvote 0

covergirl

Oct 4, 2014
✟20,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Let me put it this way.

The coast guard rescue service does not bother about the feelings of the guy they are racing to pull out of the sea, they are there to save his life. His embarrassment, his pride, his swimming ability is irrelevant, he has been reported as drowning and in need of rescuing and that is what they do.

Application.

You are a sinner, an enemy of God and face God's rightousness judgement and condemnation to an eternity apart from him.

Unless you swallow your pride, admit you are a sinner and ask Jesus to save you.

Your feelings, motivation etc etc etc are irrelevant, get saved you can sort out everything else as you grow in your love and knowledge of Jesus.

Get saved.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the moment (as has been for a while) I’ve been wanting to get right with God, but my motivation has mostly been fear of hell. It’s one of the many roadblocks I’ve experienced to accepting forgiveness. A lot of people are afraid they can’t be forgiven because they think their sin is too big, but I doubt many of them are seeking reconciliation out of a self-preservation mindset. I’ve struggled with legalism for a long time, and I can tell you firsthand that it results in depression, anxiety, and possibly even OCD, from my experience. I think our perspective of God determines how we approach Him, so how can I approach Him with God-focused motives instead of self-focused motives? Thanks!
Actually, this is probably more common than you think. I can think of at least one other person I know of who obsesses about not being able to gain salvation because of having the "wrong" motives. But those of us with OCD worry too much about how we feel. As Tolworth John said, Jesus saves us, even if we don't have the "perfect" feelings or motivations. In fact, being the mere humans that we are, we CAN'T have the perfect feelings or motives. That's why Jesus' grace is so awesome!!

Reactions: Ann77
Upvote 0