Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
Personality cults are common to every culture and society. It was common in the Old Testament - As they danced, they sang: "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands. 1 Samuel 18.7

It is found even in the New Testament - One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas "; still another, "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 1 Cor. 1.12-13

Lutherans revere Martin Luther; Methodists honor Wesley; Catholics revere the Pope; Mormons have Joseph Smith; and SDA’s have Ellen G. White; America has the Founding Fathers.

But I have noticed that no one seems to have more heroes than we (yes, I am counting myself one!) Pentecostal/Charismatics or more loyal followers than those devoted to their favorite preacher/teacher/prophet. In my former denomination, shrines could have been built to certain names from Charles Parham on.

I have noticed that this forum’s most viewed threads are usually the ones that include the name of a current Charismatic celebrity and they are also the threads where passions pro-and-con become most enflamed.

But is this healthy?

Is the focus taken off the Great Example to lesser examples?

Is glory that belongs to Christ sometimes redirected to men and women?

Hey, I will admit, I have my heroes, too. Some of them are even Charismatics ;) . None of them have television ministries, though, and none of them appeal for my money to keep their ministry afloat. But I have my hero all the same.

But, here's my question:

How healthy are these “personality cults”? (‘Cult,’ I feel, is the appropriate word, since one of the marks of a cult is the influence a dominating charismatic personality.)

Should we take a position against this tendency to idolize individuals and of blindly criticizing/defending them?

How prevalent do you think this phenomenon is?

\o/

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jim B said:
But is this healthy?

I think this is a natural tendency we have to make heros for ourselves to follow. Unfortunatly I think we as humans and as Christians get carried away with it.

Not to air my churches "dirty laundry", but there are a few in our congregation that follow the senior pastor around like a puppy and quote him like they are quoting Jesus Himself (without finding out first if his view on something is Biblical or just the pastors preference).

I have a "problem" with putting anyone on a pedestal other than the Messiah Jesus.

Upvote 0

joevberry3

Feb 4, 2004
latta sc
Visit site
✟1,486.00
Faith
Christian
Andyman_1970 said:
I think this is a natural tendency we have to make heros for ourselves to follow. Unfortunatly I think we as humans and as Christians get carried away with it.

Not to air my churches "dirty laundry", but there are a few in our congregation that follow the senior pastor around like a puppy and quote him like they are quoting Jesus Himself (without finding out first if his view on something is Biblical or just the pastors preference).

I have a "problem" with putting anyone on a pedestal other than the Messiah Jesus.
I agree 100% Brother Andy! I see it everywhere I go.

Blessings,
Joe

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Joe.

Don't anyone get me wrong, I love my pastor, he is the shephard God has given us and I respect his authority. He is though just a man, and as such has and will make mistakes.

I don't think he advocates his little "disciples" running around. It just gets on my nerves hearing them spout off "Bro. so and so" said this, or "Bro. so and so" thinks this verse means this. Good for him. There is the tendency to push that off like it was Scripture itself.

An example: what a person wears to church. Our pastor has said once I think that a person should "dress up" for church and a person that does is farther along in their sanctification. I respectfully disagree (I do think a person should dress modestly) but God is more concerned with the condition of our hearts than whats on the outside. Anyway, I have heard in more than one teachers meeting, one of the pastor's "disciples" say something to the effect "it doesn't matter how poor you are, everyone (man in this case) can go buy a decent pair of dress pants at say Wal-Mart to wear to church." I just about flipped my lid. This is an attitude that has absolutly no grounding in the Text but yet it is put off like it is the truth.

Anyway, I do love my church and my pastor, I certainly didn't want to come off that way. Thanks for letting me "vent".

Upvote 0

joevberry3

Feb 4, 2004
latta sc
Visit site
✟1,486.00
Faith
Christian
Andyman_1970 said:
Thanks Joe.

Don't anyone get me wrong, I love my pastor, he is the shephard God has given us and I respect his authority. He is though just a man, and as such has and will make mistakes.

I don't think he advocates his little "disciples" running around. It just gets on my nerves hearing them spout off "Bro. so and so" said this, or "Bro. so and so" thinks this verse means this. Good for him. There is the tendency to push that off like it was Scripture itself.

An example: what a person wears to church. Our pastor has said once I think that a person should "dress up" for church and a person that does is farther along in their sanctification. I respectfully disagree (I do think a person should dress modestly) but God is more concerned with the condition of our hearts than whats on the outside. Anyway, I have heard in more than one teachers meeting, one of the pastor's "disciples" say something to the effect "it doesn't matter how poor you are, everyone (man in this case) can go buy a decent pair of dress pants at say Wal-Mart to wear to church." I just about flipped my lid. This is an attitude that has absolutly no grounding in the Text but yet it is put off like it is the truth.

Anyway, I do love my church and my pastor, I certainly didn't want to come off that way. Thanks for letting me "vent".
Hi Andy. I understood what you meant the first time. Do you think your Pastor may have meant that people that refuse to dress up may not be showing respect to God? I have heard it explained this way. Well Im talking about people that can afford to dress up but refuse(some people wears suit and tie to the job, but come sunday morning they have a shirt and jeans) I have never understood that myself. Also, at the church I attend there are people that come in late every Sunday(usually its the same people) and the same people leave early. My Pastor finally said something along the lines to be on time(or try) and PLEASE do not leave early..As you may interupt the flowing of the Holy Spirit. Especially if the Spirit is convicting someone, someone walking in or out during service can take distract the person the Holy Ghost is dealing with, agree?
Blessings,
Joe

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.