squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To those who claim the gift of Prophecy, do you receive personal words from God?

What are some examples?

Do you consider this word to you authoritative and infallible?

We all have plenty of written Words to sort through already, and in the Living Vein of Living Word those Words do not change.

And yes, they can certainly be 'personalized' and not having to 'hear a voice.'

If I do hear any voice, within or without, it will always be measured by the patterns of what has already transpired. And 9 out of 10 times such inner voices will be phonies. Especially if we don't know better.

God does not change His Working Patterns. He is FOR good and AGAINST evil. One does not have to hear an inner spoken voice to discern these things. We do however do by nature BOTH good and bad.

The conscience is a close enough measure for good and bad. And none of same will be perfect in any case.

Believers who claim to hear the voice of God within are usually talking to their own internal imaginations.

The people of Israel who heard Gods Voice pleaded with Him to STOP, it was that overwhelming.

The people of Isreal who heard Gods Voice in Jesus Christ killed Him.

Hearing is not a small matter.

Have I heard? Yep. Was it true? Yep. Was it personal? Yep. Would it have made any difference to anyone else? Probably NOT.

I've recounted this particular instance before, but the last charismatic church I was in my wife and I were sitting in a service, and I heard an audible internal voice, clear as a bell, that said "Ichabod has been written above the threshold of this assembly." I thought it to be quite an odd statement and it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I certainly was NOT thinking anything along those lines whatsoever. The only Ichabod that I was familiar with was of the Headless Horseman Disney movie, Ichabod Crane. I had no idea the name was actually in the text til I got home and looked it up in the Strongs. There it was, meaning? The Spirit has departed. My wife happened to have a similar experience the same day. So many people in that assembly were always hearing from God, supposedly personally. We both felt a little under achieving as neither of us is given to such statements (and still aren't.) She 'heard' that just because she was not hearing God speaking to her that she was just as good as anyone else there.

We never went back after that day, mostly by my insistence to heed what I thought I heard. And it kind of scared me in any case.

A few months later it was found out that the pastor had been having an affair with another members wife, and the pastors wife, likewise was doing the same thing with some other member of the church. The whole assembly blew out of the water in a spectacular spectacle fashion and the entire membership scattered. They shuttered the doors and went broke.

Word? Was to me.

s

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We all have plenty of written Words to sort through already, and in the Living Vein of Living Word those Words do not change.

And yes, they can certainly be 'personalized' and not having to 'hear a voice.'

If I do hear any voice, within or without, it will always be measured by the patterns of what has already transpired. And 9 out of 10 times such inner voices will be phonies. Especially if we don't know better.

God does not change His Working Patterns. He is FOR good and AGAINST evil. One does not have to hear an inner spoken voice to discern these things. We do however do by nature BOTH good and bad.

The conscience is a close enough measure for good and bad. And none of same will be perfect in any case.

Believers who claim to hear the voice of God within are usually talking to their own internal imaginations.

The people of Israel who heard Gods Voice pleaded with Him to STOP, it was that overwhelming.

The people of Isreal who heard Gods Voice in Jesus Christ killed Him.

Hearing is not a small matter.

Have I heard? Yep. Was it true? Yep. Was it personal? Yep. Would it have made any difference to anyone else? Probably NOT.

I've recounted this particular instance before, but the last charismatic church I was in my wife and I were sitting in a service, and I heard an audible internal voice, clear as a bell, that said "Ichabod has been written above the threshold of this assembly." I thought it to be quite an odd statement and it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I certainly was NOT thinking anything along those lines whatsoever. The only Ichabod that I was familiar with was of the Headless Horseman Disney movie, Ichabod Crane. I had no idea the name was actually in the text til I got home and looked it up in the Strongs. There it was, meaning? The Spirit has departed. My wife happened to have a similar experience the same day. So many people in that assembly were always hearing from God, supposedly personally. We both felt a little under achieving as neither of us is given to such statements (and still aren't.) She 'heard' that just because she was not hearing God speaking to her that she was just as good as anyone else there.

We never went back after that day, mostly by my insistence to heed what I thought I heard. And it kind of scared me in any case.

A few months later it was found out that the pastor had been having an affair with another members wife, and the pastors wife, likewise was doing the same thing with some other member of the church. The whole assembly blew out of the water in a spectacular spectacle fashion and the entire membership scattered. They shuttered the doors and went broke.

Word? Was to me.

s

Thanks squint!
This rings particularly close to home with me, I on occasion visited a local assembly here in the Twin Cities, mostly because I enjoyed their music but NOT their theology... As I grew in my understanding I found them to be false teachers...(Mac Hammond) not sure if you are familiar with him?
But as he was "preaching" I found the incredibly strong sense of the Holy Spirit urging me to look at what he was "preaching" and see that the context was at complete odds with his message, when I looked up and read it I walked out of there NEVER to return... It scared me as it did you, though I thanked the Lord for giving me that discernment, that though was a situation where scripture could be used as a plumbline much like yours.

I wonder about situations with others that they considered to be divine guidance in day to day life as well.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks squint!
This rings particularly close to home with me, I on occasion visited a local assembly here in the Twin Cities, mostly because I enjoyed their music but NOT their theology... As I grew in my understanding I found them to be false teachers...(Mac Hammond) not sure if you are familiar with him?
But as he was "preaching" I found the incredibly strong sense of the Holy Spirit urging me to look at what he was "preaching" and see that the context was at complete odds with his message, when I looked up and read it I walked out of there NEVER to return... It scared me as it did you, though I thanked the Lord for giving me that discernment, that though was a situation where scripture could be used as a plumbline much like yours.

I wonder about situations with others that they considered to be divine guidance in day to day life as well.

The conscience is our best guide. And even then, we all find our shortcomings frequently.

We all know that God is Love. It is very easy and peaceable to love, at all times, even when there is no reward, and most of the time, there's not a reward.

Some things that I will no longer cotton with any so called 'hearer' from God. The damnation of any believer. This is an abomination in Gods eyes, the most severe violation. I have learned to recognize that even in the most vile believer, there is still a child of God, presently covered, just as we all have that same covering to varying degrees. We would all do well to try to deal with that alone, and not worry about the issues of other believers, cause fact is, we all got's issues.

So, false teachers? I don't listen, and don't have to. The last thing I would do would be to contribute. I wish I could do the same with our governments...;)

Word. ;)

s

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To those who claim the gift of Prophecy, do you receive personal words from God?

What are some examples?

Great thread! Subscribing :angel:

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Cr 13:8
The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless;

0.jpg

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,478.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What are some examples?

I have heard the spoken on several occasion in my past but not for about 6 years. I wouldn't call them prophetic though because they were not about future events other than maybe once or twice but those were for my benefit only. To build my faith.

I'm not sure about your use of the terms "authoritative and infallible".

Infallible, in English, means trust worthy and I say yes. Infallible in Catholicism is different.

Authoritative can be taken different ways as well but nothing which God has given to me suggests that others have to believe what I say God has revealed.

Example: My ex-wife and I were separated and I was trying to reconcile. I had been praying for help and asked for a sign. Suddenly I had a vision of me picking up the phone and what she would say. About 4 days later, the phone rang and she said the exact words which the vision had her saying.

Example: The year which I last heard the Spirit's voice I had a few things revealed. This time I was reading scripture when I heard a voice say, the Tree of Life is Jesus, the Tree of Knowledge is the Law, and the Tower of Babylon(Babel) represents all of those people who try to achieve heaven through their own means.

When I turned to Genesis and started reading, I understood. I have read the Eden account many many times but only recognized what was written and not the hidden mystery behind the obvious.

I know that I must accept what God has revealed to me but I mustn't expect anyone else to do that. God will reveal to people what he chooses and we must never demand that others understand what we couldn't understand prior to the revelation.

God Bless you Simon, old buddy.:wave:

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God Bless you Simon, old buddy.:wave:

Hi YD good to see you again, it seems there are different forms of His revealing some that in essence clarify teachings and scripture (His word) to us and then there are the what I would call life directions in life of which I am much more leary of and never automatically assume God is speaking to me for fear as squint says a product of our own imagination...When I seek His direction the pattern for me is to; pray, seek scripture, and Godly council..

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

In words for events in life - I know the 'degraded us' can speak, too.

But in one instance, concerning our son, so many were praying (here, in the Middle East, in the States, elsewhere ...).

I don't much trust myself, but another who was praying in earnest later (spontaneously) confided in me the same words I had heard earlier but had not reported to anyone.

Usually, quiet pointing ...

Reactions: canisee
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,478.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi YD good to see you again, it seems there are different forms of His revealing some that in essence clarify teachings and scripture (His word) to us and then there are the what I would call life directions in life of which I am much more leary of and never automatically assume God is speaking to me for fear as squint says a product of our own imagination...When I seek His direction the pattern for me is to; pray, seek scripture, and Godly council..
I agree but for one who has heard the voice, there is no way to mistake for one's imagination. Many other which God communes with his children can be very hard to tell the difference though. There is that still gentle tug which I search for clarity to, in order to keep from following my own whim.(Which I am sure that I have done in the past)

I had one occasion where we took my son's 8th grade class up to Chicago for their class trip. It is a great city but there are pan handlers at every corner. It can be quite a problem trying to sift through those who really need your help.

We had taken the kids to the Hancock Tower and afterward we came back down, the teachers wanted to get some famous Chicago popcorn. I was left trying to watch the kids, which wasn't easy. Strangers kept hitting on the girls and the boys wanted to wonder off.

As I was trying to keep them together I heard something and turned to find a old woman who asked me for some money for food. Being concerned with the kids and and numbed by the hundreds of panhandlers I said that I didn't have any money.

The lady turn and walked off and I suddenly heard the Spirit say, "That was the one". Everything dropped in my spirit as I realized my failure. Just then the teachers returned and I shot out through the crowd looking for the lady and couldn't find her anywhere.

I spent the rest of the trip repenting my failure. I had felt that small tug on my heart but decided to ignore it and that led to my failure to recognize the one sent to test me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by simonthezealot
I agree but for one who has heard the voice, there is no way to mistake for one's imagination. Many other which God communes with his children can be very hard to tell the difference though. There is that still gentle tug which I search for clarity to, in order to keep from following my own whim.(Which I am sure that I have done in the past)

I had one occasion where we took my son's 8th grade class up to Chicago for their class trip. It is a great city but there are pan handlers at every corner. It can be quite a problem trying to sift through those who really need your help.

We had taken the kids to the Hancock Tower and afterward we came back down, the teachers wanted to get some famous Chicago popcorn. I was left trying to watch the kids, which wasn't easy. Strangers kept hitting on the girls and the boys wanted to wonder off.

As I was trying to keep them together I heard something and turned to find a old woman who asked me for some money for food. Being concerned with the kids and and numbed by the hundreds of panhandlers I said that I didn't have any money.

The lady turn and walked off and I suddenly heard the Spirit say, "That was the one". Everything dropped in my spirit as I realized my failure. Just then the teachers returned and I shot out through the crowd looking for the lady and couldn't find her anywhere.

I spent the rest of the trip repenting my failure. I had felt that small tug on my heart but decided to ignore it and that led to my failure to recognize the one sent to test me.
That can happen :liturgy:

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have received personal words from God.
Not sure if i have the gift of prophecy because He said that He would
pour out His spirit on ALL flesh.
And that His sons and daughters would prophesy.

What are some examples?
I have a lot of examples,
but I'm kind of tired of having my experiences
mocked or thrown back in my face.
I don't know that I want to share them here
anymore.
If no one comes forward maybe i will
Otherwise maybe we can talk privately.
I know you're trying to learn more and hone
your skills with the Word.
No.
And I would test it too.
if it lines up with Scripture, I'd PROBABLY trust it.
See the enemy uses Scripture too, and twists it
just a wee bit and tricks us often.
So it has to be Scripture and you have to have
discernment too.
But once you start "RECOGNIZING His voice"
Because I do believe that He's speaking to all
of us but I think we don't realize it.
I used to think that it was my own voice.

Now I am beginning to be able to recognize and
sometimes I even speak it out to whoever I feel
He's speaking to through me.

I don't say "thus saith the Lord"
I say, I sense that you've been going through some
trying time lately, (then you have to not be afraid
to be more specific as God speaks to your heart..
but it's TOTALLY by faith.
Same with any gift.
It's Scriptural AND experiential.
And if there were no experiences,
then it's all in vain.
Because it's ALL about GOD's desire to TOUCH
(be it speak to, minister to financially, heal broken hearts,
heal sickness... etc) HIS humanity, HIS creation
(He created us to fellowship with and worship Him)
He wants to talk to us, with us, through us...

And JUST as when Jesus Christ was doing it in His EARTHLY body,
Now WE ... the CHURCH... the "many membered BODY"
ARE as He is in the world

Jesus Christ,
Perfect Theology.
Want to see God?
See Jesus
And God never changes.

He healed to Heal
He blessed to bless

His healing wasn't just to prove something.
God has ALWAYS healed.
WHO He IS (AM) is in His Name
Jehovah Jireh (He's our provider)
today yesterday and forever
Jehovah Rophi (The God who Heals)
Yesterday Today and Forever

OT HE HEALED
OT He, (you know the verses) I am the God that HEALETH thee.

NT HE HEALED
NT.. He healed through Christ

THIS AGE- HE HEALS
Now, that same Spirit that was in Christ, healing
is in THIS body (the church)
But the church is a chicken butt.
Wants to TALK about God and try to look respectable.
God wants our pure hearts and our faith and for us to
forget about respectable (well, not forget about but
not worship what MEN think was what I meant)

But it's all by faith. CHILDlike faith
So we get what we expect, no more no less
because that's how GOD wants it.
He wants us to GROW UP!

IMO
sorry about caps, too hurried to bold

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

The prophecy spoken must line up with what the scriptures have already revealed. :) I have had the gift of prophecy. But I am not a prophet lol.. I am just a humble servant of the Lord knowing that all things are in His planning and know that I am but a mere human being saved by the very Grace of God. :) We are to stir up the gifts that have been given to us by Him. By getting in His presence can His gifts be used. I love to get in the very throne room of God and hear His voice . I crave the voice of My God and my King. He is the very breath of my life. In life here on earth we have many doubts and our emotions get in the way alot of times. I want to be like a child and never doubt what He has to say. I test it with the scriptures all the time to make sure I hear the very voice of the Lord. But He speaks to me in so many ways and with all kinds of things. For all things were created for His Glory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have received personal words from God.
Not sure if i have the gift of prophecy because He said that He would
pour out His spirit on ALL flesh.
And that His sons and daughters would prophesy.

I agree. I think that there is more than one way to prophesy. In the OT times, there were the "thus saith the Lord" type prophets - men usually - who spoke God's words to others kind of as warnings and commandments. I don't think God does that any more and any self-declared "prophets" are probably delusional or lying or both. Nowdays, God can and does speak to all of His believers and it is up to us to recognize His voice. He definitely speaks to us in our conscience and I think always has - even in OT days, and He also can speak to us in other ways. I have experienced the Lord speaking to me and through me many times. It is not in big "thus saith the Lord" experiences, but in daily experiences of allowing me to see the beauty in others through His eyes and through His gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) nudging me in the right direction in things.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

What are some examples?

When your friend tells you that he's heard the voice of God with his ears it's time to worry ...

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. I think that there is more than one way to prophesy. In the OT times, there were the "thus saith the Lord" type prophets - men usually - who spoke God's words to others kind of as warnings and commandments. I don't think God does that any more and any self-declared "prophets" are probably delusional or lying or both. Nowdays, God can and does speak to all of His believers and it is up to us to recognize His voice. He definitely speaks to us in our conscience and I think always has - even in OT days, and He also can speak to us in other ways. I have experienced the Lord speaking to me and through me many times. It is not in big "thus saith the Lord" experiences, but in daily experiences of allowing me to see the beauty in others through His eyes and through His gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) nudging me in the right direction in things.
Amen!
At first it's kind of confusing and sketchy, wondering "was that God"
And eventually, NOT hearing His Voice is a scary place to be.
IMO

When your friend tells you that he's heard the voice of God with his ears it's time to worry ...
What about if they hear (with their ears)
AND see (with their eyes)
"Our lady's message" ?

:confused: Time to worry when one believes that God has no voice to speak to His children. Those who have ears let them hear scripture tells us.
My sheep hear my voice, ...

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I have heard God speak to me several times. I would say it was authoritative. There were a few times that it involved others, and was more than "confirmed" in those instances. Quite dramatically. This voice was not mine, and was not in my mind, thus it was simply a case of speaking what I heard. Same as I would if another person told me something, and I repeated it verbatim. With the exception of the very first time I heard God (since I had no direct point of reference, I had doubts afterwards ... I wanted to rule out the "insane" factor lol), like I said it was merely a matter of repeating what I had heard. A couple of instance in particular involved *very* specific events and points in time, with full details, that came to pass. No ambiguity. I didn't view that as prophecy however, even though it involved the future. And I didn't claim to be a prophet, or believe I was a prophet. No, "This is what the Lord says," etc. I merely repeated what I heard ... and reality verified it. I don't know that I would use the word infallible to describe those instances ... there is something about the way that word is viewed that doesn't sit well with me, so I'm not using it lol :). I would use the word "True" however. What I heard was true.

Being guided and given information and revelations through the Spirit, or by other spirits ... including words of knowledge, information about things you could't possibly know, prophecy, etc ... I categorize differently. To clarify: this is when information is given by the Spirit in a specific way. IMO, the Spirit often guides and gives information that isn't in "words" ... it's more akin to a living language that involves action and actually doing things, and understanding things. The ACTION you are to take can be extremely clear ... however putting it into words feels as though the words cheapen it, or fall short. This is when I think man's fleshly attempts to describe what the Spirit wants mixes the human element, and you see the difference between someone who is telling you what God says (which they speak verbatim based on what they may hear), verses someone who is trying to put into words what the Spirit is doing.

I can see why someone who is lead powerfully by the Spirit would think they were a prophet, especially if they were consistently shown information involving the future or revelations they wouldn't otherwise be privy to if it weren't for it being revealed to them by the Spirit. However I would not call myself a prophet, unless God told me, "You are a prophet." I would not call myself a prophet unless I was able to prove it to someone else either. To me, that would be like calling myself a physician, even though I am not licensed. Or telling someone else I'm a physician, but I can't medically help them as needed lol.

There was only one time in my life where I believed the Spirit showed me I was going to be a prophet with someone, as in, the "role". And this person ... I did not tell them this. Instead, they told ME this. So I did not "testify on my own behalf". I was able to do awesome things with them, and they with me, and they were the ones who told me that God showed them I was a prophet, etc. So I never had to say it. There were some powerful instances we experienced .... amazing growth, guidance, learning ... treasure in heaven ... which "testified on my behalf" as well. I'll spare the details for brevity sake. It was for about 6-8 months or so that it lasted, and when it passed, that was that. I don't believe I was in the role of a prophet again.

As far as the "gift of prophecy" is concerned ... I would view it as having a gift IF you could use it at will. In other words, you could prophesy as YOU saw fit. The ability flowed naturally to the degree that whatever you did concerning it, God was with you, because you were merely producing fruit from the tree that God fashioned within and gave you, so to speak. However I believe if someone has "ears to hear" ... then they can hear God, the Spirit, other spirits, the Lord, etc .... in other words, they can hear the spiritual realm .... and the fact they can hear doesn't necessarily mean it's a "gift" just because they have the ears. A bird can fly because it has wings ... is it "gifted" with wings ? It's assumed a bird will have wings lol ... that's partially what makes most birds, birds, in the first place. However if a frog is given wings to fly as it wishes ... that I would consider a "gift".

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0