Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Been doing it on and off over the years, last time was 2020 and now I need to do it again, if only to make some money and clear out space

Almost have enough space I don't need boxes for the general stuff versus the manga volumes, but it's getting trickier to weed out stuff now in terms of the topics of interest and stuff I want to read, have read in part or in full, or even want more for reference's sake

The categories I've assessed for now, though it's still TBD in terms of how big my library is still

Religion-Theology
Religion-Buddhism
Religion-Apologetics
Religion-Theory + Comparative Religion
Secularism
Philosophy
Otaku (small category that really could be weeded more)
Japanese Culture
Literature-Creative Writing
Literature
Science (fairly small overall, weeded a decent chunk recently)

And there's definitely sub groups within that to consider, but what are some rules of thumb you use that could aid in some way, potentially, for such a venture? I've thankfully not bought as much books beyond manga, so that makes it easier to not just take one step forward and a step or more back

Last edited:

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been doing it on and off over thr years, last time was 2020 and now I need to do it again, if only to make some money and clear out space

Almost have enough space I don't need boxes for the general stuff versus the manga volumes, but it's getting trickier to weed out stuff now in terms of the topics of interest and stuff I want to read, have read in part or in full, or even want more for reference's sake

The categories I've assessed for now, though it's still TBD in terms of how big my library is still

Religion-Theology
Religion-Buddhism
Religion-Apologetics
Secularism
Philosophy
Japanese Culture
Literature

And there's definitely sub groups within that to consider, but what are some rules of thumb you use that could aid in some way, potentially, for such a venture? I've thankfully not bought as much books beyond manga, so that makes it easier to not just take one step forward and a step or more back
The last time I moved house I got rid of a few hundred books. My only regret is a copy of Leaves of Grass, I still don’t know why I didn’t keep that. These days my library is about 90% digital, most of my physical books are either special editions or books I couldn’t get digitally. My library is nothing like as organised as yours tho, I just have books I occasionally read on the shelves and the rest in boxes.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The last time I moved house I got rid of a few hundred books. My only regret is a copy of Leaves of Grass, I still don’t know why I didn’t keep that. These days my library is about 90% digital, most of my physical books are either special editions or books I couldn’t get digitally. My library is nothing like as organised as yours tho, I just have books I occasionally read on the shelves and the rest in boxes.
I can't say mine's that organized, especially recently, since I'm short on space and trying to not spread it out too much, which means categories are getting smooshed together now. Most of what I need to weed now is theology and Kierkegaard (which is a mix of philosophy and theology, iirc, like Works of Love versus some of his other stuff)

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been doing it on and off over thr years, last time was 2020 and now I need to do it again, if only to make some money and clear out space

Religion-Theology
Religion-Buddhism
Religion-Apologetics
Secularism
Philosophy
Japanese Culture
Literature

By creative writing do you mean fiction, or writing about writing?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Religion-Theology
Religion-Buddhism
Religion-Apologetics
Secularism
Philosophy
Japanese Culture
Literature

I lived in the DC area off and on for about 30 years. I used to visit libraries. They have the world’s largest library, Library of Congress. There are university and county libraries. I read in a Theological Seminary library.

My own library contained Biblical Archaeology, Ancient Near Eastern History, Roman Era Christianity, Biblical Geography, Roman and Byzantine Christian Writers, Investing, Economy. I donated most of my books to Goodwill. Some were damaged by mildew and trashed.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
By creative writing do you mean fiction, or writing about writing?
The latter, some of it I think directly from a few college courses I took.

If it's fiction, that's just Literature probably (unless I'm fudging the categories)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did a big purge before the pandemic and could probably prune a little more but for the moment its fine. Replacing the bookcases added more shelf space. I have three at present and four is the max.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I did a big purge before the pandemic and could probably prune a little more but for the moment its fine. Replacing the bookcases added more shelf space. I have three at present and four is the max.
Not sure if bookcases would work entirely, though there is more space after weeding at present.

Still inadequate for the books in a box I've been weeding from recently, kind of hard to get rid of anything Kierkegaard or the like, from classes of a professor that was great at their job, retired a few years ago.

I think I have 4 bookcases, though they're pretty wildly variable in dimensions, so it's only helpful in a way, while there's still problems of determining what stuff I may ever read versus it being more esoteric

Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I sold off over 90% of my library a number of years ago. Every time I moved, I had to drag so many boxes of books I decided to make it manageable. I have kindle books mostly, now, but still have a few of my fave printed books around. There were a few I got rid of that I wish i hadn't, but that is no big deal. I am too materialistic as it is ;)

Good luck with weeding out your library. It can be hard, but liberating

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Been doing it on and off over the years, last time was 2020 and now I need to do it again, if only to make some money and clear out space

Religion-Theology
Religion-Buddhism
Religion-Apologetics
Secularism
Philosophy
Japanese Culture
Literature

One of the best purchases (albeit it was a gift from my husband lol) that I got was a Kindle paperwhite. I use it for popular books/mass market books. I check out books from the library and put it on airplane mode. It then will keep it until I’m finished with the books. It doesn’t prevent others from checking out the book and you getting a fine either. It also saves the library and taxpayers money because digital licenses are different for books vs physical copies (it’s dumb).
I digress.
The only books I buy now are suuuuper niche, hard to find books or craft books that I’ve already read a digital copy of that is worth the purchase. For example from Atlas Press. Libraries won’t buy them because there is no interest in them. So *shrug* if I want to read them, I gotta buy them. For craft books, I recently bought an embroidery book after reading tons of different ones that was worth the purchase. It is good to have on hand next to me while I do my embroidery as I am learning.

hope I made sense. I move a lot so we can’t take the weight.

oh and for manga your local library *should* have a digital library program that also has a comics/manga app/website. Mine is Hoopla. It could help cut down on manga purchases in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
One of the best purchases (albeit it was a gift from my husband lol) that I got was a Kindle paperwhite. I use it for popular books/mass market books. I check out books from the library and put it on airplane mode. It then will keep it until I’m finished with the books. It doesn’t prevent others from checking out the book and you getting a fine either. It also saves the library and taxpayers money because digital licenses are different for books vs physical copies (it’s dumb).
I digress.
The only books I buy now are suuuuper niche, hard to find books or craft books that I’ve already read a digital copy of that is worth the purchase. For example from Atlas Press. Libraries won’t buy them because there is no interest in them. So *shrug* if I want to read them, I gotta buy them. For craft books, I recently bought an embroidery book after reading tons of different ones that was worth the purchase. It is good to have on hand next to me while I do my embroidery as I am learning.

hope I made sense. I move a lot so we can’t take the weight.
I've certainly read much of my manga digitally, getting physical to support the industry as much as having my favorite series for physical reference as needed. Monthly subscription for digital manga access through a vault is also a contribution

Also...libraries pay you for books? In my experience, they usually have a process that goes: possible addition to system, Interlibrary Loan, book sale, free library, recycling in that order. I've got 3 piles of books weeded now: 1) is stuff that I could make something of a profit on Ebay from them (like...maybe $8-10), 2) some that I'm definitely donating to the library, even if it means they're likely going to be shifted to book sale and such and 3) some that will hopefully get a decent exchange at a bookstore I haven't gone to since 2019, that store credit something I can use for stuff I actually want to keep (unlike some of the last purchases I made there, one of which I sold on Ebay, ironically)

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've certainly read much of my manga digitally, getting physical to support the industry as much as having my favorite series for physical reference as needed. Monthly subscription for digital manga access through a vault is also a contribution

Also...libraries pay you for books? In my experience, they usually have a process that goes: possible addition to system, Interlibrary Loan, book sale, free library, recycling in that order. I've got 3 piles of books weeded now: 1) is stuff that I could make something of a profit on Ebay from them (like...maybe $8-10), 2) some that I'm definitely donating to the library, even if it means they're likely going to be shifted to book sale and such and 3) some that will hopefully get a decent exchange at a bookstore I haven't gone to since 2019, that store credit something I can use for stuff I actually want to keep (unlike some of the last purchases I made there, one of which I sold on Ebay, ironically)
I’m not sure I understand your question of “libraries pay for your books”?
Libraries pay publishers and bookstores for books. But digitally, there are some issues with the system.
So when a library purchase a physical copy of a book, they can loan the unlimitedly book out basically until it falls apart.
Buuuut digitally, there are a certain number of check outs a book has until the digital copy has until it has to be repurchased.
Therefore, the libraries funds which comes from the taxpayer are more limited.

If that makes sense.

which as a library lady AND a taxpayer is dumb and makes me wanna grab a rolling pin and throw it at something lol

But no, they won’t pay individuals for books. Some do run used book sales though where people can set up booths.

I’m sorry if 1) that doesn’t answer your question and/or 2) my original comment was confusing.

also, Abebooks and betterworld books is a great place to sell used books. You probably already know about them though.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The latter, some of it I think directly from a few college courses I took.

If it's fiction, that's just Literature probably (unless I'm fudging the categories)
Do you do much writing?

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I’m not sure I understand your question of “libraries pay for your books”?
Libraries pay publishers and bookstores for books. But digitally, there are some issues with the system.
So when a library purchase a physical copy of a book, they can loan the unlimitedly book out basically until it falls apart.
Buuuut digitally, there are a certain number of check outs a book has until the digital copy has until it has to be repurchased.
Therefore, the libraries funds which comes from the taxpayer are more limited.

If that makes sense.

which as a library lady AND a taxpayer is dumb and makes me wanna grab a rolling pin and throw it at something lol

But no, they won’t pay individuals for books. Some do run used book sales though where people can set up booths.

I’m sorry if 1) that doesn’t answer your question and/or 2) my original comment was confusing.

also, Abebooks and betterworld books is a great place to sell used books. You probably already know about them though.

Yeah digital rights in general smack of how much leeway America in particular seems to have given corporations.

I'm aware they do that, you're making it sound like they pay individuals and not companies for books, the latter making sense contractually

I've vaguely heard of Betterworld Books, I think they sell through Amazon and have likely gotten purchases from me in the past

May have just been phrasing, people can contribute to the library through those sales, which gives me hope in terms of even stuff I donate that isn't added to the collection (only a handful of stuff is in the collection that I'm 99% sure I donated, like Siddhartha and some other stuff)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeah digital rights in general smack of how much leeway America in particular seems to have given corporations.

I'm aware they do that, you're making it sound like they pay individuals and not companies for books, the latter making sense contractually

I've vaguely heard of Betterworld Books, I think they sell through Amazon and have likely gotten purchases from me in the past

May have just been phrasing, people can contribute to the library through those sales, which gives me hope in terms of even stuff I donate that isn't added to the collection (only a handful of stuff is in the collection that I'm 99% sure I donated, like Siddhartha and some other stuff)
I’ve seen that too. Sometimes the library itself will run a used book sale along with free books from donations.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I’ve seen that too. Sometimes the library itself will run a used book sale along with free books from donations.
That's our little free library system, though it's confusing still with the levels of our sales: LFL is free, then we have mass market paperbacks for 50 cents a piece, then we have a massive amount of books that are about...$2-3 for everything you can fit in an average Walmart plastic back, then $2 for individual items that are high demand or such. And then the ones that make me sad, where we recycle them, but it could help in some way, I suppose

Library at my alma mater ran a book sale, though they rarely seem to do it now. Got some stuff I still have from then, which was back in 2012 or so.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Finally did a proper account of the books I've weeded so far and it's about 78 atm, which is surprising, and may get a bit higher. But some are pretty much staples for now, trickiest thing probably being the apologetics/evangelism stuff, but also even some literature that I already did a tiny weeding

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Finally did a proper account of the books I've weeded so far and it's about 78 atm, which is surprising, and may get a bit higher. But some are pretty much staples for now, trickiest thing probably being the apologetics/evangelism stuff, but also even some literature that I already did a tiny weeding
:cheer:

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Finished a big weeding of sorts, added up to about 100 total books now, so about...22 weeded from the apologetics/evangelism, especially some that are more esoteric focused or such, like Christian schooling or stuff that's much more for Christians in nature. Some might sell on Ebay, but not holding my breath. Even if I took all the stuff that could be exchanged, not sure how much I'll get.

And apparently I had 2 copies of the same book weeded from my alma mater's library, Introduction To Theology by Owen C. Thomas.

Upvote 0