Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There have been quite a few posts about sinning after salvation, with some claiming that even as Christians their sins aren't forgiven.

Allow me to use an analogy to show how this belief is false. Suppose you're driving down a road with a posted speed limit. If you exceed the speed limit, even by a few mph, you have violated the law. According to those who believe that their sins need to be confessed and forgiveness sought, even if they are unintentional, shouldn't they turn themselves into the police and confess their violation? This seems to be ridiculous because 1) the violation was unintentional and 2) the police would find it foolish and a waste of time if you confessed your violation and begged for forgiveness.

Unfortunately, this attitude is held by those who, even though they're saved, are caught up in a cycle of sin, begging for forgiveness for even the most minor sin, committed unintentionally. They have needlessly put themselves back under the law and have rejected the forgiveness of their sins that was accomplished by the crucifixion and resurrection of our Lord Christ.

Of course I am not referring to those who intentionally commit sins. Using the above example, if somebody continually and willfully exceeds the speed limit, constantly checking their rear view mirror and scanning the roadside for the presence of the police, they are motivated by sin, aware that they are violating the law, and hoping that their violation won't be discovered. They are rightfully in constant fear of punishment. If caught, they will beg for forgiveness, only to repeat the action at another time. They are not governed by the Holy Spirit but by their own sinful, selfish motivation.

Can we please stop the discussion of Christians' obedience to the law and the worthless practice of confessing their sins and begging for forgiveness? If you're a Christian, this behavior, motivated by false guilt, is denying the efficacy of Christ's death and resurrection.

Last edited:

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you would like, can you perhaps give some more examples, in terms of actual real life situations?

The speed limit example is an actual real-life situation. I chose it because 1) nearly everyone drives, and 2) it points out the absurdity of begging for forgiveness for even the most minor, unintentional sin.

If your spouse asks you to pick up something at the supermarket and you forget, it's unintentional, yet you have lied because you said that you would. Should you beg forgiveness from your spouse and from God?

If you go out to a restaurant and the wait person forgets to add an item to the bill, it is natural if you're guided by the Holy Spirit, to point this out. If you realize it later, should you return to the restaurant and beg forgiveness?

There are many other situations in everyday life of course, but I use the speed limit example as everyone exceeds the speed limit unintentionally all the time. The way some people interpret unintentional sins, expecting themselves to be perfect, they should ask forgiveness from God every few minutes.

It really bothers me that some Christians are so hard on themselves, beating themselves up for even the most minor of sins. They torture themselves trying to be perfect! They just don't realize that God loves them in their imperfect state. It's really very sad.

Reactions: Aleksandros
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After receiving the Holy Spirit we have (literally) a change of heart.

Before salvation we need rules, a.k.a., the law to tell us right from wrong. I don't really feel that most of the people that I know struggle with sin, but "through the law we become conscious of sin". Some of the most important verses to me are in Romans 7: "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." and "As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me." and "Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." It's a conscious battle of the mind to try to behave.

After receiving the Holy Spirit, we undergo a change. We want to do what is right to ourselves and to others. There is no desire to do wrong, although, being imperfect, we will make mistakes. It's all summed up in "love your neighbor as yourself." If you see people as similar to you then you not only don't want to do them wrong, but you want to help them. The parable of the good Samaritan demonstrates this principle perfectly! It's an outward giving to others instead of seeking something for yourself.

I hope that this helps you believe that principle. I'm not a religious expert (thank God!) but I think I understand the Christian life.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The speed limit example is an actual real-life situation. I chose it because 1) nearly everyone drives, and 2) it points out the absurdity of begging for forgiveness for even the most minor, unintentional sin.

If your spouse asks you to pick up something at the supermarket and you forget, it's unintentional, yet you have lied because you said that you would. Should you beg forgiveness from your spouse and from God?

If you go out to a restaurant and the wait person forgets to add an item to the bill, it is natural if you're guided by the Holy Spirit, to point this out. If you realize it later, should you return to the restaurant and beg forgiveness?

There are many other situations in everyday life of course, but I use the speed limit example as everyone exceeds the speed limit unintentionally all the time. The way some people interpret unintentional sins, expecting themselves to be perfect, they should ask forgiveness from God every few minutes.

It really bothers me that some Christians are so hard on themselves, beating themselves up for even the most minor of sins. They torture themselves trying to be perfect! They just don't realize that God loves them in their imperfect state. It's really very sad.
Many are tied to the performance of the flesh, not really realizing what is occurring.

bugkiller

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. So yes. You confess sin and you are forgiven of sin (just as 1 John 1:9 says).

Sin is separation from God.

Jesus says if you do not forgive, you will not be forgiven (Matthew 6:15).

Jesus says if you look upon a woman in lust, your whole body can be cast into hell fire (See Matthew 5:28-30).

Jesus says the unprofitable servant will be cast into outer darkness (Matthew 25:30).

Jesus said to certain believers who believed they did many wonderful works to depart from Him because they also worked iniquity (or sin) (See Matthew 7:23).

If a person has sinned, they need to confess and forsake sin to have mercy.

For Proverbs 28:13 says he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Upvote 0