Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
There are no peripheral issues in Biblical Christianity; but everything in the Bible is to be bellieved and obeyed.

Luke 16:10, He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

Someone in the church has said, "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."

But in the middle of that, a part of the real "main thing" is that in the obedience of faith and in obedience to the faith (Romans 1:5, Romans 16:26) we are all to be obedient to all of the commandments given to us in scripture; once we have been redeemed by grace.

As there is no condemnation over disobeying any of these things, and this is the sense in which we are not under the law (Romans 4:8); and yet we are obedient anyway because that through the new birth, the commandments and laws in the Bible have been written on our hearts and minds (Hebrews 8:10, Hebrews 10:16).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1213

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many secondary issues in Christianity. Some are mentioned in the bible others are implied.
One Christian believes in evolution, another believes in yec, they are both Christian.
Again one practisces speaking in tongues, another doesn't, they are both Christian.
One baptises intfants, another only adults and another only by imersion, all are Christian.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Read Ephesians 4:13. When each Christian has matured in his understanding, he or she will agree as concerns doctrine with other mature Christians. Many times people don't agree with biblical doctrine because of carnal-mindendness, because they are still babies in Christ. But when you become spiritually-minded, you will agree with what the Bible teaches and obey what the Bible says you ought to do. For example, in 1 Corinthians 12:29-30, it says, "Do all speak wth tongues?" So a mature believer will not insist that tongues is a salvational issue, even though he may speak in tongues. Whether I speak in tongues or not is not a doctrinal issue, it only concerns whether or not I have that spiritual gift.

Concerning matters of faith and obedience therefore, mature Christians will be like-minded (1 Corinthians 1:10, Philippians 2:2, Ephesians 4:13), agreeing with each other only because they agree with the prototype or standard of truth, the Holy Bible.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps obliquely related, I wanted to share something that appeared today in my daily devotional.

"We think we want the Bible to be an instruction book: a list of dos and don'ts, a how-to about how to live. Now, the Bible does have portions that are about the Christian life, how Christians are to live. Christ is our example, after all! (1 Peter 2:24) But that is not its chief purpose and aim.

"If it were, it would be like giving a cookbook to a starving person.

"The Christian life is what you do after the meal: be a father, mother, son, daughter, husband, wife, or worker.

"We don't search the Scriptures [looking] for ourselves. We don't search them for how to live. You need a Savior, and Jesus is it!

"Jesus is delivered through the Scriptures. He's promised. He's foreshadowed in Word and deed. His life, preaching, death, and resurrection are laid out for you. He is proclaimed as having died, risen, and will come again.

"In the Bible, you get Jesus. He delivers Himself through them. In the Scriptures you have hope, the hope of everlasting life that Jesus won for you and delivers to you in His gifts."

Friday of the Sixth Week after Easter [My edit]

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When each Christian has matured in his understanding, he or she will agree as concerns doctrine with other mature Christians.

Are you saying that when a Christian has matured in their understanding, they will always come to the same understanding of which form of baptism is correct?

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that when a Christian has matured in their understanding, they will always come to the same understanding of which form of baptism is correct?
I would say that.

Pope+Ben+Baptism_Of_Child.jpg

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that.

Pope+Ben+Baptism_Of_Child.jpg

According to your understanding, what specifically should every mature Christian understand about the proper mode of baptism?

For example, in the photo you posted...

Does every mature Christian understand that the one performing the baptism must use a silver clam shell to pour the water, must pour with their right hand, must wear a white rob adorned with red iron crosses, must wear a large gold ring? Etc.

Seriously, what specific points do you say all mature Christians should understand about baptism? And which Bible verses do you base that on?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Addressing the point of the thread, Paul clearly believed that there are, indeed, peripheral issues which some Christians use to create divisions.

Romans 14:5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall give praise to God.”

12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

• Winner
Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Addressing the point of the thread, Paul clearly believed that there are, indeed, peripheral issues which some Christians use to create divisions.

Romans 14:5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall give praise to God.”

12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.
Yes, Romans 14 is the passage I would go to.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Does every mature Christian understand that the one doing the baptism must use a silver clam shell to pour the water, must pour with their right hand, must wear a white rob adorned with red iron crosses, must wear a large gold ring? Etc.

Seriously, what specific points do you say all mature Christians should understand about baptism? And which Bible verses do you base that on?
I don't want to derail the thread, but since you asked ...

There seems to be an assumption in your post that Baptism is law, that there are detailed specifications and requirements involved.

According to scripture, Baptism is one of the means through which God acts to make a direct connection between a given individual located in their specific time and place and the saving works and merits of Jesus Christ accomplished two thousand years ago in Palestine.

Baptism, therefore, is a sacramental act, visible and tangible Gospel; a command of God accompanied by a promised result connected with a material sign.

Baptism is not just plain water, but it is the water included in God’s command and combined with God’s word. Baptism is simply, yet mysteriously, the Word of God connected to the application of water in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Scriptural support: Matthew 28, Mark 16, John 3, Acts, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 12, Galatians 3, Ephesians 2 & 4, 1 Peter 3, Titus 3 ... many others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to derail the thread, but since you asked ...

There seems to be an assumption in your post that Baptism is law, that there are detailed specifications and requirements involved.

According to scripture, Baptism is one of the means through which God acts to make a direct connection between a given individual located in their specific time and place and the saving works and merits of Jesus Christ accomplished two thousand years ago in Palestine.

Baptism, therefore, is a sacramental act, visible and tangible Gospel; a command of God accompanied by a promised result connected with a material sign.

Baptism is not just plain water, but it is the water included in God’s command and combined with God’s word. Baptism is simply, yet mysteriously, the Word of God connected to the application of water in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Scriptural support: Matthew 28, Mark 16, John 3, Acts, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 12, Galatians 3, Ephesians 2 & 4, 1 Peter 3, Titus 3 ... many others.
I think that passages such as Acts 2.41-42 make it clear that baptism is a symbol that follows subsequent to the exercise of faith ('those who gladly received his word were baptised') rather than a rite which operates supposedly to make someone a believer.

As such, this is not a peripheral issue.

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say that.

Are you saying a mature Christian would never think believer's baptism is the correct form of baptism?

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying a mature Christian would never think believer's baptism is the correct form of baptism?
I'm saying that a Christian who has fully matured in the faith will understand the correct doctrine of Holy Baptism. This is my opinion. This is not to say that I have fully matured, or that any Christian who believes in the correct scriptural doctrine of Holy Baptism is ipso facto fully matured.

From an opposite perspective, maybe, we would agree it's not peripheral.
Exactly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying that a Christian who has fully matured in the faith will understand the correct doctrine of Holy Baptism. This is my opinion. This is not to say that I have fully matured, or that any Christian who believes in the correct scriptural doctrine of Holy Baptism is ipso facto fully matured.

Exactly.
Well as you know, from Acts 2 I believe it's clearly symbolic and following the exercise of faith and not a rite by which the person becomes a believer.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well as you know, from Acts 2 I believe it's clearly symbolic and following the exercise of faith and not a rite by which the person becomes a believer.
Hence Holy Baptism's nonperipherality. :)

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Concerning baptism:

I believe that the biblical view is that if water baptism saves (see 1 Peter 3:20-21, Colossians 2:12-13), then it is baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth that saves (Acts 4:10-12, Acts 2:37-39).

Also we are commanded to do everything that is in word and deed in His name (Colossians 3:17). And baptism is something that is done in word and deed.

Now I am not speaking for Calvary Chapel as it is merely the church that I attend with my family. I believe that I say these things as one who has received the gift of the Holy Ghost according to Acts 2:38-39, having fulfilled the condition of the promise.

As for Romans 14, point taken. Nevertheless I believe that it says that each one ought to be fully convinced in his own mind, and therefore to each one who has an opinion it cannot be a peripheral issue but an essential in which he is fuly convinced that what he knows is true.

Upvote 0