The Keep
✟581,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I've been having a discussion in a thread about there being two gospels, and a thought came to mind:

I have concluded that there might be two gospels so to speak. There's the gospel of how to become a saved disciple of Christ, and then there's the gospel on how to conduct yourself as a disciple of Christ. I believe Paul might have made this differentiation in comparing milk to solid food in 1 Corinthians 3:2.

Any thoughts?

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gospel means good news.

There is only one good news that saves today.

But God has many different good news to various individuals, and the nation of Israel, throughout the Bible.

The only way to break up the gospel so to speak that I see, is what's being said to the unsaved and what's being said to the saved. But what's said to the unsaved still pertains to the saved because it contains the tenants of salvation, which is often repeated in the epistles to the saved.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only way to break up the gospel so to speak that I see, is what's being said to the unsaved and what's being said to the saved. But what's said to the unsaved still pertains to the saved because it contains the tenants of salvation, which is often repeated in the epistles to the saved.

Your paragraph is way too complex for me.

I will just read the Bible literally, as far as possible =)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I've been having a discussion in a thread about there being two gospels, and a thought came to mind:

I have concluded that there might be two gospels so to speak. There's the gospel of how to become a saved disciple of Christ, and then there's the gospel on how to conduct yourself as a disciple of Christ. I believe Paul might have made this differentiation in comparing milk to solid food in 1 Corinthians 3:2.

Any thoughts?
It seems that you are describing the sanctification "process" rather than two "gospels."

"Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ,
let us go on to perfection,​
not laying again the foundation
  • of repentance from dead works and
  • of faith toward God,
  • of the doctrine of baptisms,
  • of laying on of hands,
  • of resurrection of the dead, and
  • of eternal judgment." Hebrews 6:1-2 NKJV
Jesus promised,
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things,
and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
" John 14:26 NKJV​

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Any thoughts?
yes my thought, the Gospel has been around for 2000+years. it is totally sufficient for the salvation of man without change or modification or bifurcation.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
Paul's analogy of milk and meat has to do with maturity. There is only one Gospel and this is made clear in the pages it is written on.
Galatians 1
I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Any thoughts?
There is one gospel to the effect: Repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and his atoning work and your sin will be forgiven.

Everything else is the working out of that gospel.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?

There is only one gospel. The meaning is "good news". What is it? The gospel is all the Word of God because in it is revealed the "good news" of God's plan of salvation for all mankind given to all those who choose to believe and follow what God's Word says *John 3:36; John 10:26-27. Sadly, many will be called but only the few will be the chosen *Matthew 22:14; Matthew 7:13-14; Matthew 7:21-27; Revelation 12:17; 1 John 2:3-4. The good news (gospel) is all about who we choose to believe and obey.

Take Care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is only one gospel. The meaning is "good news". What is it? The gospel is all the Word of God because in it is revealed the "good news" of God's plan of salvation for all mankind given to all those who choose to believe and follow what God's Word says *John 3:36; John 10:26-27. Sadly, many will be called but only the few will be the chosen *Matthew 22:14; Matthew 7:13-14; Matthew 7:21-27; Revelation 12:17; 1 John 2:3-4. The good news (gospel) is all about who we choose to believe and obey."
Take Care.
"Gospel" is a NT word, and the NT does not use it as "all the word of God."

It is the good news concerning the coming of the Christ and the way of salvation.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Any thoughts?

That's a dangerous way of thinking; because by definition "gospel" means "good news"--it is something which is proclaimed, and consists of the promises of God. When we turn "gospel" to mean "stuff we have to do" we confuse and conflate the Gospel with Law.

The Law says "do this"--that's Christ's command to us to follow Him, to take up our cross, and love our neighbor as our self. That's Law, not Gospel.

Gospel is what God has done for us in Christ.

When you see phrases like "obey the Gospel", it can help to look at the underlying Greek. For example in Romans 10:16, "not all have obeyed the Gospel". The word here is hypakouo, literally to "under-hear"; it is a passive thing rather than an active thing. A commander who speaks to his subordinates speaks to them, and they receive the words spoken as binding; hence why the Apostle continues quoting Isaiah, "Lord, who has believed our report?".

The Gospel goes forth, and not all who hear will believe; nevertheless it is by that Gospel--the hearing of that precious word of Christ--that comes faith (Romans 10:17).

Those who hear the Gospel and believe hear the word and receive it (passively, for we contribute none of our works to God to benefit our salvation, not even our "yes"). It is solely by the grace of God alone, through faith, on Christ's account alone that we are freely justified, saved, reconciled to God, regenerated as children of God in Christ and heirs of the kingdom and all God's promises.

Christ, in speaking of what we are to do, speaks His commandment to us--His Law. The Law, unlike the Gospel, cannot (and does not) save us. As the Apostle is clear that no one is justified under the Law, but rather all are universally condemned under the Law as sinners, whether Jew or Greek; for "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" and "there is none who is righteous ... there is none who seeks after God". The Law is condemnation to us in our sin, and it is only by the Gospel that we are freed in Christ to live righteously (that is, in obedience to the commandments of Jesus Christ) toward our neighbor in the world. This is what the Apostle speaks of in Ephesians 2:10, that we have been created in Christ Jesus for good works which have been prepared beforehand that we might walk in them.

We are saved by the Gospel (the power and work of God in Jesus Christ: His Incarnation, perfect life, death, and resurrection, etc) in order that we might now live as obedient disciples of Jesus Christ, not in order to earn our way with God but in order that we might walk in the way of God in love toward all God's creatures.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
Same gospel, the meaning just needs to be reinforced but also further explained and stretched as we mature. Parents demand less of babes than of older offspring. A disciple of Christ walks in obedience in any case.

But we need to hear, so we'll know what is expected of us. God doesn't just hit us over the head and make us Christians, or force us to remain Christians or grow in faith, hope, and love; we must respond to His grace, we must open the door-which we do gladly at first anyway as we come to see our need for Him. Then we must remain in Him and He in us. We need to be reminded. We must not abandon our Love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Gospel" is a NT word, and the NT does not use it as "all the word of God."

Yes the word gospel is a new testament word. No the word gospel is applied to both the new and old testament scriptures (e.g Hebrews 4:2). The gospel is all the Word of God because in it is revealed the "good news" of God's plan of salvation for all mankind given to all those who choose to believe and follow what God's Word says *John 3:36; John 10:26-27. All the word of God points to Jesus as the Messiah and God's sacrifice for the sins of the world once and for all and His ministration on our behalf in the heavenly Sanctuary that the Lord pitched and not man (see Hebrews 7:1-25; Hebrews 8:1-13; Hebrews 9:1-27 and Hebrews 10:1-22). Sadly, many will be called but only the few will be the chosen *Matthew 22:14; Matthew 7:13-14; Matthew 7:21-27; Revelation 12:17; 1 John 2:3-4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟133,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
Man is a three-part being: Spirit, Soul (mind, will & emotions), and Flesh. There is some confusion that errantly seems to spill over into faith verses works arguments. It is that when someone is born-again (in accordance with Mark 16:16) their spirit is made alive in Christ, but their soul and flesh are unchanged. We are tasked to do something about our soul and flesh in cooperation with the Holy Spirit.

Concerning our soul, we are to renew it to the Word of God:

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;​

Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Concerning our flesh, we are to bring it into subjection:

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Any thoughts?

I go with the consensus of the thread: there is one gospel, but you are identifying two aspects of that one gospel. If that's not the consensus, it should be. :D

You've identified the work of Christ and the response of discipleship as distinct yet related. I think that's right. The idea of there being more than one gospel is going to get pushback no matter how well you explain it. Still, I don't think most would find the distinction, itself, disagreeable.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I go with the consensus of the thread: there is one gospel, but you are identifying two aspects of that one gospel. If that's not the consensus, it should be. :D

You've identified the work of Christ and the response of discipleship as distinct yet related. I think that's right. The idea of there being more than one gospel is going to get pushback no matter how well you explain it. Still, I don't think most would find the distinction, itself, disagreeable.

That's what I was getting at. And why I said kinda regarding the notion. So probably two halves is a better way of putting it. As the saying goes, Bible is an acronym for Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a dangerous way of thinking; because by definition "gospel" means "good news"--it is something which is proclaimed, and consists of the promises of God. When we turn "gospel" to mean "stuff we have to do" we confuse and conflate the Gospel with Law.

The Law says "do this"--that's Christ's command to us to follow Him, to take up our cross, and love our neighbor as our self. That's Law, not Gospel.

Gospel is what God has done for us in Christ.

When you see phrases like "obey the Gospel", it can help to look at the underlying Greek. For example in Romans 10:16, "not all have obeyed the Gospel". The word here is hypakouo, literally to "under-hear"; it is a passive thing rather than an active thing. A commander who speaks to his subordinates speaks to them, and they receive the words spoken as binding; hence why the Apostle continues quoting Isaiah, "Lord, who has believed our report?".

The Gospel goes forth, and not all who hear will believe; nevertheless it is by that Gospel--the hearing of that precious word of Christ--that comes faith (Romans 10:17).

Those who hear the Gospel and believe hear the word and receive it (passively, for we contribute none of our works to God to benefit our salvation, not even our "yes"). It is solely by the grace of God alone, through faith, on Christ's account alone that we are freely justified, saved, reconciled to God, regenerated as children of God in Christ and heirs of the kingdom and all God's promises.

Christ, in speaking of what we are to do, speaks His commandment to us--His Law. The Law, unlike the Gospel, cannot (and does not) save us. As the Apostle is clear that no one is justified under the Law, but rather all are universally condemned under the Law as sinners, whether Jew or Greek; for "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" and "there is none who is righteous ... there is none who seeks after God". The Law is condemnation to us in our sin, and it is only by the Gospel that we are freed in Christ to live righteously (that is, in obedience to the commandments of Jesus Christ) toward our neighbor in the world. This is what the Apostle speaks of in Ephesians 2:10, that we have been created in Christ Jesus for good works which have been prepared beforehand that we might walk in them.

We are saved by the Gospel (the power and work of God in Jesus Christ: His Incarnation, perfect life, death, and resurrection, etc) in order that we might now live as obedient disciples of Jesus Christ, not in order to earn our way with God but in order that we might walk in the way of God in love toward all God's creatures.

-CryptoLutheran

That's not were I was going when I said "how to conduct yourself as a disciple". I meant how Paul gives us the tools to be effective disciples in his instructions the church. Like putting on the full armor of God.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's not were I was going when I said "how to conduct yourself as a disciple". I meant how Paul gives us the tools to be effective disciples in his instructions the church. Like putting on the full armor of God.

Though such things we are to do as disciples would fall under things we ought to do, which would be Law rather than Gospel.

The topic of the armor of God can be interesting here--does, in this, is the armor active or passive? Paul's description largely speaks of the passive protection of armor--the shield of faith, the belt of truth, the helmet of salvation, the breastplate of righteousness (e.g. passive righteousness aka our justification), etc. The readiness of the Gospel of peace ascribed to the boots, and the sword of the Spirit being God's word do indicate a more active thing. So one could argue there is both the passive (the Gospel which secures and protects us and holds us) and active (to walk in obedience of God in love of others, to be peacemakers and servants of reconciliation, and to cut down falsehood, lies, with the assured word of God: God's word which we bear as His people: Christ has risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and to those in the tombs, bestowing life--there is forgiveness of sin, there is peace with God, the kingdom of sin, death, hell, and the devil have been brought to ruin, the prison doors are swung open and the prisoners go free, the blind will see, the lame will walk, the dead shall live again. And no power on earth can ever come between us and the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord; for we have been made more than conquerors through Him who sides with us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Man is a three-part being: Spirit, Soul (mind, will & emotions), and Flesh. There is some confusion that errantly seems to spill over into faith verses works arguments. It is that when someone is born-again (in accordance with Mark 16:16) their spirit is made alive in Christ, but their soul and flesh are unchanged. We are tasked to do something about our soul and flesh in cooperation with the Holy Spirit.

Concerning our soul, we are to renew it to the Word of God:

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;​

Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Concerning our flesh, we are to bring it into subjection:

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.​

Historic Christian theology holds that the human person is a singular being comprised of both the visible and the invisible, body and soul. The soul covers a wide range of meanings and shades of meaning. Specifically the human soul is called a "rational soul" historically, as opposed to, for example, the "animal soul". That is to say, we have been endowed with reason, not only with sentience but sapience--the capacity for reason, deep thought, and therefore with moral agency, and thus uniquely among all God's creatures here on earth we are held accountable. The lion, though also held in bondage to sin and death (for the whole of creation labors under sin and death in this present age), does not sin when she injures a fellow lion; but it is a sin when we injure our fellow human being. We are culpable, the lion is not.

It is therefore also this aspect of our humanity that means that we are spiritual creatures, that is, creatures that can share in the things of the Holy Spirit by communion with God--a communion lost on account of sin and death which is restored to us in Jesus Christ in whom we are reconciled to God and brought into fellowship with Him by His grace, through faith.

There's no reason to divide the human person into multiple parts. Human beings are just one thing: human. We can speak of the soul and body; the human spirit is just another way of talking about the invisible aspects of the human person.

We should be careful about trying to invent novel ideas and doctrines like tripartism. Christianity has never confessed tripartism, which did not exist until within the last century (IIRC it is theological invention of a certain Watchman Nee".

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Upvote 0