Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently came to understand that Anglicans preform the "Daily office" which I believe to be an excellent why to grow in Christ. I got the Book of Common Prayer (2019) and while it's fairly straightforward in a sense some parts are a bit foreign to me. Also, would any Anglican or people of similar traditions be willing to share their experience of performing the Daily Office?

I haven't grown up in a tradition that does anything similar so I am a bit curious on way that I can perform this "correctly".

Thank you for your responses. :)

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I recently came to understand that Anglicans preform the "Daily office" which I believe to be an excellent why to grow in Christ. I got the Book of Common Prayer (2019) and while it's fairly straightforward in a sense some parts are a bit foreign to me. Also, would any Anglican or people of similar traditions be willing to share their experience of performing the Daily Office?

I haven't grown up in a tradition that does anything similar so I am a bit curious on way that I can perform this "correctly".

I agree that using the Daily Office is an excellent idea. That, in fact, is why it is available to you--because the church wanted laypersons to be able to partake of the kind of spiritual regimen that was only for clergy in the pre-Reformation era.

Personally, I would choose the historic Book of Common Prayer, perhaps the 1662 edition or the 1928 US edition, but any of the books of alternative services such as the 2019 book you referred to (that I am not familiar with) might serve you.

I don't know quite what to say about how to do it correctly, in part because the rubrics, the instructions, are right there in the book. If you have specific questions about any of that, do ask me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

It's much older than the Anglicans. It has roots in the Jerusalem Temple worship, particularly the Psalms of the office. Catholics (and the Orthodox of course) have continued using this to the present day. They are what provides the rhythm of life in monastic communities. In the Catholic Church it is something every priest must pray every day while it is not required but available for lay people.

In Anglican usage one can use the most recent BCP or the earlier one from I think 1928. For me as a Catholic layman I subscribe to Magnificat, which is a monthly booklet which lays everything out to pray. There are other subscription services, on-line guides, multi-volume books, and whatever to assist in praying the Office.

The main prayers of the office are Morning (reasonably soon after rising), Evening (typically when you would light the lamps), and Night (just before bed), but there are offices of readings and several other times that the monks would use.

It IS an excellent way to grow in Christ.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's much older than the Anglicans. It has roots in the Jerusalem Temple worship, particularly the Psalms of the office. Catholics (and the Orthodox of course) have continued using this to the present day.

Thank you. I learnt this was well. Which is why when some people criticize it I point to the fact that there is historical precedent for preforming things for this nature.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that using the Daily Office is an excellent idea. That, in fact, is why it is available to you--because the church wanted laypersons to be able to partake of the kind of spiritual regimen that was only for clergy in the pre-Reformation era.

Personally, I would choose the historic Book of Common Prayer, perhaps the 1662 edition or the 1928 US edition, but any of the books of alternative services such as the 2019 book you referred to (that I am not familiar with) might serve you.

I don't know quite what to say about how to do it correctly, in part because the rubrics, the instructions, are right there in the book. If you have specific questions about any of that, do ask me.

How you you perform with you your family. (I see that you're married so I am assuming you may perform the morning section with your wife). Also, do you sing the Psalms with Anglican chat?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Which part are you having trouble with?

When performed in a group setting there is a reader and respondent which is usually the audience.

At the monastery the words were chanted with various readers taking lead and two respondents. This was divided by stanza.

The app I mentioned on this thread will show you the format. There are prayers recited for each day. I often included personal intercession as well. The easiest to follow for the first time is compline. It is much shorter and will give you a feel for the structure.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which part are you having trouble with?

I am not sure how to put it. I believe because I am not accustomed to doing it and I never grew up with it part of me feels like I am be doing it "wrong". Not sure if that's making sense to you. :)

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am not sure how to put it. I believe because I am not accustomed to doing it and I never grew up with it part of me feels like I am be doing it "wrong". Not sure if that's making sense to you. :)

Yes it does. But that is true for most things the first time. God is your Father. Not a drill sergeant. He’s seeking hearts not perfection. Pray and give yourself the grace to err.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes it does. But that is true for most things the first time. God is your Father. Not a drill sergeant. He’s seeking hearts not perfection. Pray and give yourself the grace to err.

Thanks for the reminder.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How you you perform with you your family. (I see that you're married so I am assuming you may perform the morning section with your wife). Also, do you sing the Psalms with Anglican chat?
I don't sing the psalms when following the Daily Office, although there is no reason a person cannot. And "no," I don't do it with my wife although family prayer is certainly a Christian ideal and we worship together on other occasions. For me, the Daily Office is more of a private thing.

I am not sure how to put it. I believe because I am not accustomed to doing it and I never grew up with it part of me feels like I am be doing it "wrong". Not sure if that's making sense to you.
I encourage you not to worry about that. There is almost no way to do it "wrong." There are many options provided to you as regards which prayers are to be prayed, and I have never heard of anyone being accused of doing it wrong if one section is omitted or something like that. Just follow the instructions.

Upvote 0