PERCEPTION: What relevance has this to interpretation of Scripture?

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perception defined for this thread from the Oxford dictionary (Perception | Definition of Perception by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Perception):
"The ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses,
  • The state of being or process of becoming aware of something through the senses.
  • A way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
  • Intuitive understanding and insight.
  • The neurophysiological processes, including memory, by which an organism becomes aware of and interprets external stimuli."
The context of the word "perception" is utilizing one's own senses, including cognition, to interpret the world around them, in our case, Scripture.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

• Useful
Reactions: royal priest

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone see a problem with this

This?

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Cor. 2:14

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perception defined for this thread from the Oxford dictionary (Perception | Definition of Perception by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Perception):
  • The state of being or process of becoming aware of something through the senses.
  • A way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
  • The neurophysiological processes, including memory, by which an organism becomes aware of and interprets external stimuli."
The context of the word "perception" is utilizing one's own senses, including cognition, to interpret the world around them, in our case, Scripture.

If all one relies on is their senses then that's a problem ... if one relies on His Word then one is given knowledge and wisdom that helps keep their senses in check.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How do you propose we understand the Bible, if we cannot use what we have learnt previously or our ability to think.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Allow me add an Oxford dictionary definition of cognitive: "The mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses."
  • "A result of this; a perception, sensation, notion, or intuition.
‘That makes it at least plausible for a social cognitive premise that views prejudicial or stereotype-laden cognitions as largely unavoidable for most humans.’"
pasted from: Cognition | Definition of Cognition by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Cognition

Additionally, perception, by its definition, is based upon the individual's "lean" or sensual position and understanding; NOT necessarily upon ANY external standard or foundation or internal separate entity, as in the Holy Spirit.

One engrossed with addictive, narcissistic, paranoia, Schizophrenic, tyrannical, and terrorist thinking, for example, has no less of a valid picture of reality than any other if perception equated to reality or truth.

Situational ethics is grounded in validating perception as reality; whereby believing that an infinitesimal amount of realities co-exist and so no moral standard is applicable. Poppycock, but that is one example of how perception is perverted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Allow me add an Oxford dictionary definition of cognitive: "The mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses."
  • "A result of this; a perception, sensation, notion, or intuition.
‘That makes it at least plausible for a social cognitive premise that views prejudicial or stereotype-laden cognitions as largely unavoidable for most humans.’"
pasted from: Cognition | Definition of Cognition by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Cognition
Luke 24:45. Then He opened their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

John 14:26.
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name,
He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

John 16:13. Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall he speak: and He will shew you things to come.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

There is a higher form of perception called discernment. When I am speaking to someone
face to face; by their words and their countenance I can see their spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perception is what satan uses to tempt and entice. He modifies one's perception regarding a sin.
In the Garden he brought Eve from, "but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die,’” to, " When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it." (Gen 3:3,6 NIV)

Her perception was changed. See how much of the senses were involved?

We talk ourselves into a new perception sometimes when we are tempted or enticed.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you propose we understand the Bible, if we cannot use what we have learnt previously or our ability to think.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight." Prov 3:5-6 NIV

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1-2 NIV

"For all who are allowing themselves to be led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."Ro 8:14 Amplified

"This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words." 1 Cor 2:13 NIV

"Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers." Psalm 1:1-3 NIV

Additionally, I was hoping not to get such a quick response as I did in #2 above, and #4. But I agree with them. IMO you can attend to their contributions, also. I started this thread to address a topic with which someone tried to hijack another thread of mine. I have sadly learned here that telling them to start another thread on THEIR topic falls on deaf ears so I did for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If all one relies on is their senses then that's a problem ... if one relies on His Word then one is given knowledge and wisdom that helps keep their senses in check.
Yes, but:
"The role of the Holy Spirit in the Interpretation of Scripture is to guide us to the truth contained within it. The Spirit assists us in interpretation by guiding us to truth, convincing us that it is true, and helping us understand and appropriate truth to our own faith and way of life. Without the help of the Holy Spirit, who inspired the writing of Scripture, interpretation of Scripture falls prey to our own bias and human understanding which may be flawed or unable to grasp spiritual wisdom of God. Thus a prayerful approach to reading and interpreting Scripture, open to the Spirit’s guidance, is required." Pasted from: The Role of the Holy Spirit in the Interpretation of Scripture - Brian Harris

Our job is to learn to differentiate between our own carnate/personal inclinations, desires, motives, intentions, experiences, biases, and "wisdom," as a collective, and the Holy Spirit's voice and promptings. The Holy Spirit speaks to us through God's Holy Spirit Inspired Word, the Bible. Hence, we have verses like, "Diligently study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of the truth;" 2 Tim 2:15 AFV (the AWANA theme verse, Approved Workman Are Not Ashamed) and that one I already gave from Psalm 1:2, I believe, where we should meditate upon God's Word day and night and another, "Your word is a lamp to walk by, and a light to illumine my path." Psalm 119:105 NET and, "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deut 6:6-9 and also, Deut 11:18-20 NIV and, "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." Jn 15:7 ESV

I believe that if a person's perception is grounded in having become a new creation in Christ Jesus and is in submission to Jehovah, God the Trinity, including the indwelling Holy Spirit, then their perception or interpretation of the truth of the Scriptures has the greatest chance of accuracy for their understanding, "But we must approach it with both a sincere seeking of the Holy Spirit’s help and guidance, and a careful study of the text. Having said all this, if our interpretation process is good, and we have with due diligence studied Scripture and allowed the Holy Spirit to guide us in our interpretation, does this mean our interpretation is always going to be right? When we consider we are trying to interpret a meaning to a text for our own context, we can easily get this wrong." Pasted from: The Role of the Holy Spirit in the Interpretation of Scripture - Brian Harris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I agree with them. IMO you can attend to their contributions

I do love contradictions.
We are not to use our intellect to understand scripture, but are to use our intellect to understand scripture.

Well done for posting nonsence.

Let me clarify.
Christians have the holy spirit living in them. He challenges those area of our lives that are not in accordance with God's laws. He also makes us interested in reading the Bible, attending church and listening to sermons.
Through this the spirit teaches us. It can be a very slow process.

Do you see why what you have posted is a contradiction.

• Useful
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do love contradictions.
We are not to use our intellect to understand scripture, but are to use our intellect to understand scripture.

Well done for posting nonsence.
That is not what I said or implied, TJ. Post #2 which I agreed with, only discusses the Spirit in interpretation, nothing about intellect. #4 I should have been more specific about what I was referring to for you. I was referring to their first clause BEFORE the 3 dots. I did not agree or like that post but a friendly, I believe, and I addressed the later part of their post which implied mere intellectual knowledge void of Holy Spirit involvement was all required in post#11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me clarify.
Christians have the holy spirit living in them. He challenges those area of our lives that are not in accordance with God's laws. He also makes us interested in reading the Bible, attending church and listening to sermons.
Through this the spirit teaches us. It can be a very slow process.

Do you see why what you have posted is a contradiction.
First of all, your original post (#5), totally excluded the Spirit from the consideration when you asked, "How do you propose we understand the Bible, if we cannot use what we have learnt previously or our ability to think?" Now you have changed your position to EVEN saying that the Holy Spirit teaches us which is what I responded to you with. You talk about nonsense?

It can be a contradiction if one is unable to differentiate their own carnate/personal collective from the leading of the Holy Spirit; an awareness of the Holy Spirit within. As I said (in post #11, again), "Our job is to learn to differentiate between our own carnate/personal inclinations, desires, motives, intentions, experiences, biases, and "wisdom," as a collective, and the Holy Spirit's voice and promptings. THIS A CONSTANT CHALLENGE FOR ALL CHRISTIANS, I BELIEVE, I, AT THE TOP OF THE LIST. Our understanding God's Word from the perspective of self-centeredness can be diametrically opposed knowing it from a Spirit-led, God-centered understanding.

I have had criminals share their perception that the Bible approves violating and raping their own daughter by the story of Lot and two of his daughters, there is Jim Jones and his cult of followers who all committed suicide following their perception of the Bible, Hitler and his Nazi monsters tortured and murdered thousands, tens of thousands with the perception that the Bible supported the holocaust and war towards "cleansing" the world of impure or whatever they called the "rest" of us to further God's glory, and all those groups of Christians, one after another, whose perceptions of Scripture pointed to a specific date of Christ's return or the rapture and sold all that they owned and gave it away and went to a field or whatever and waited for the perceived event which never came which left them on the street, homeless. These are obviously cases where the Holy Spirit was totally out of the picture in their perceptions yet they all claim Scriptural substantiation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PERCEPTION: What relevance has this to interpretation of Scripture?

Allowance of freedom because of unknowing circumstances, and love towards others.

Everyone grows up and has many different experiences in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agallagher,

• Freedom from WHAT or WHO? What are you trying to say?

• Everyone has different experiences. We ALL know that. What are you trying to say?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Freedom is important. People have all types of different beliefs when it comes to their own interpersonal relationship with God. The bible tells us to not think of ourselves over another, but to humble ourselves as others higher than ourselves.

So it seems that mutual respect towards others should always be given and that is to any person.

Upvote 0