Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Feb 6, 2002
Brisbane
Visit site
✟15,549.00
Faith
Protestant
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has read 'Divine Revelation of Hell' or 'Divine Revelation of Spiritual Realm' by Mary Baxter, published by Whitaker House.

I felt very uncomfortable after reading Divine Revelation of Hell. It is a book which sold a million copies. A bestseller. I think she would have made a lot of money. It is actually very short book but the print is large and even so, it is a slim book.. It was expensive too.

Two questions
1)Has anyone read the books? First impressions?
2)What do you think of people who claimed to have visited 'heaven' /'hell' and then make money writing books about it?

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I have a whole collection of books by people who "had divine revelations." Some of them date back to the early 1800's, and I wish I could share them with you because they are so funny and sad at the same time. Some are about visions of heaven, some about hell, some are about impending end times, some are about why we should abandon faith in the Bible and believe this "new revelation from God. "

They are funny because few of the revelations and prophesies came true, and they are sad because so many people spent so much time and money on them. The Book of Mormon is one of the funniest, and saddest, because so many people have chosen to believe what is utter nonsense and in opposition to the Bible and common sense.

One man, not a mormon, wrote a book about his vision that heaven is on Venus. He says he went there by God's command and found all his dead loved ones in perfect paradise. He goes on to say that when man develops better rocketships (around 1934, according to what "God" told him), Christ would return and take us all there and help us build the New Jerusalem. Another woman said (1911) that the Lord would return before the next war and that His coming would be hearlded by the sound of guns!

Take all "special revelations" with a grain of salt and ask this question, "Is it consistent with the Bible, or does is countermand Christ?" Even if it is consistent, the only way to test a prophet is with patience, waiting to see if his predictions come true. No visionary can be known in advance. My heart goes out to people who want to be so special to God that they imagine or invent visions and prophesies. Their hearts are longing for His approval, but they don't know how to get it in this upside-down kingdom of His!

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
It makes me think of Jesus's story about Lazarus and the rich man. The rich man wanted someone to take the reality of heaven and hell back to his brothers, and Abraham's answer was, "If they don't believe what's already been written in the Bible, they aren't going to believe at all."

This woman states that she has been given this revelation "to make a record of the reality of it, to tell the whole earth that hell is real, and to bring the lost out of darkness and into the light of the gospel of Jesus Christ." It sounds just like what the rich man was asking for. But God said that won't work.

I think that this person is forgetting that being a Christian isn't about getting into heaven or avoiding hell, those are percs of the Christian life, but not the core of it. The message of the Bible is completely this: God wants to have a relationship with each of us in this life.

A vision of heaven or hell is unlikely to do anything but scare people or give them a false sense of hope. But it isn't likely to manifest a real relationship with the living God. Anymore than threatening or rewarding a woman is likely to get her to truly love a man. She might obey to get the reward or avoid the pain, but she will not do so out of freewill and love.

Books like this are hooey.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.