United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am actually starting two threads one debate and one in the question sub-forum

The Bible says that No one chooses God, but yet I know for a fact that people look at different faiths and are LOOKING for truth; therefore people DO seek God; since they are looking for truth and often will look in various places to find it.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The Bible says that No one chooses God, but yet I know for a fact that people look at different faiths and are LOOKING for truth; therefore people DO seek God; since they are looking for truth and often will look in various places to find it.

Everyone has heard of God, or at least some god. In western culture, you'd be hard-pressed to find a person who has never heard of God and Jesus.

So, when we see a person who searches for truth, or something, or whatever and they choose to say that it is not God, then what are they really looking for?

Most are merely looking for evidence of their own greatness. "I searched for truth and found it." is how success sounds to them. They cobble together a lot of truths, but only the ones they like and create some personal truth: a little Christianity, a little Buddhism, a litttle New Age, a little bit of reason....

...and when they are done mixing all that up, they get the perfect truth, and they will tell you, "everyone has their own truth".

So, searching for truth is not the same as searching for God. A "personal truth" is really just pride masquerading as spirituality. The fact that they are not searching for God is not due to ignorance of this existence. Searching for God is giving up pride and admitting that we each are not the center of our own universe.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Everyone has heard of God, or at least some god. In western culture, you'd be hard-pressed to find a person who has never heard of God and Jesus.

So, when we see a person who searches for truth, or something, or whatever and they choose to say that it is not God, then what are they really looking for?

Most are merely looking for evidence of their own greatness. "I searched for truth and found it." is how success sounds to them. They cobble together a lot of truths, but only the ones they like and create some personal truth: a little Christianity, a little Buddhism, a litttle New Age, a little bit of reason....

...and when they are done mixing all that up, they get the perfect truth, and they will tell you, "everyone has their own truth".

So, searching for truth is not the same as searching for God. A "personal truth" is really just pride masquerading as spirituality. The fact that they are not searching for God is not due to ignorance of this existence. Searching for God is giving up pride and admitting that we each are not the center of our own universe.
Truth is truth is truth you cannot have your own personal truth.

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Actually this is the question I have been wondering about as I watch this thread. I would certainly agree that there is no subjective personal truth, but I also have a question do you recognize the scripture as the only source of infallible and inerrant authority for faith and practice?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Far too many people would disagree with you, except they would merely claim that their personal truth is the real truth. Every Christian who does not believe that the bible is inerrant and infallible has their own personal truth with the fancy Jesus wrapping paper.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

People are walking contradictions, they're "looking for truth" while at the same time suppressing the truth. Go figure huh? Try finding one atheist that will admit to borrowing from the Christian worldview to make sense of their own worldview. I would be surprised if you can find one, it would be miraculous indeed. How do they borrow from the Christian worldview you ask? Because their worldview cannot account for universal immaterial absolute realities such as the laws of logic, morality, Scientific predication, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience and rational discourse.

Now do you believe that looking for "truth" in different religions is "looking for truth"? Just how many religions can be true before violating the law of non-contradiction?

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good post, I just want to throw in a biblical text for support.

People are walking contradictions, they're "looking for truth" while at the same time suppressing the truth.
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven upon all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.
Go figure huh? Try finding one atheist that will admit to borrowing from the Christian worldview to make sense of their own worldview. I would be surprised if you can find one, it would be miraculous indeed. How do they borrow from the Christian worldview you ask? Because their worldview cannot account for universal immaterial absolute realities such as the laws of logic, morality, Scientific predication, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience and rational discourse.

Now do you believe that looking for "truth" in different religions is "looking for truth"? Just how many religions can be true before violating the law of non-contradiction?
: ) good points. People are rebellious against God even by their seeking truth but refusing to find God as the source of truth. God is truth. That is what Romans 1 is all about. They sought truth in their images, and God gave them over.
Rom 1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God for a likeness of an image of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and reptiles.
We truly are totally depraved and seek truth while refusing to allow oneself to seek and fine God.
Rom 3:11 There is none who understands; there is none who seeks God.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

So your own subjective, personal experience trumps what God the Holy Spirit says?

Wow!

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian

Phill 2
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

14 Do all things without complaining and disputing,

15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.

19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state. 20 For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state.

21 For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.

22 But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel. 23 Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me. 24 But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly.

The testimony of scripture is people seek their own, meaning they do not seek after Jesus Christ who is God. They seek are their own pleasures, desires, wants, needs, edification. They do not look for Christ, Christ when He came, went seeking for those whom God had chosen beforehand. He was the one who came to save those who are the called of Jesus Christ. HE is the one that came for us, we were lost but now are found.

The testimony of scripture is we live in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, that seeks their own, not the things of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People know the truth of the one, true God, but have from birth suppressed that truth for a lie due to corrupt reasoning faculties, per Romans 1:18-32. No one seeks the one, true God lest God so enable them per the power of the Holy Spirit such that they will then possess the moral ability to do nothing but choose to believe.

Per Holy Writ, the unbeliever will never seek God's righteousness for the unbeliever...

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9);
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23);
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19);
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12);
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6);
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1);
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3);
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14); and
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

Clearly from the above small sampling of the many teachings in Holy Writ about the total inability of the lost, it is clear that they have no moral ability to seek after the righteousness of God. It is only when God the Holy Spirit regeneratively replaces their lost hearts of stone with one of flesh (Eze. 36:26) that the lost are given the moral ability to believe and then irrevocably evidence the fruit of their regeneration—faith and repentance.

The miracle we should be in awe about is that God saves anyone, for all are born fallen in Adam and deserve nothing but God's justice. Would that all give God all the glory for their salvation rather than clinging on to some humanistic thread of their own wisdom, willingness to be open to the Good News, openness to being "wooed" by the Holy Spirit, "choosing rightly while their neighbor chooses wrongly", etc. Soli Deo Gloria! was the cry of the Reformation, yet after the likes of Arminius, Finney, and others it is now Soli Deo Gloria...and me!

AMR

Reactions: nobdysfool
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This is an old post that's been answered, but I can't sleep, so I'll type.

You don't have to get beyond Genesis 3 to see what sinful man's reaction to God is. Mankind runs and hides from God ". . .they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. . . . I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

I understand that there are people who claim to seek God, but they seek a god of their own making. They seek idols, not the Living God. They seek a deity that they can manipulate to do their bidding.

As RC Sproul once said, "A sinner is searching for God like a criminal is searching for a cop". It's simply not the case.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

I'm surprised no one has cited Romans 3 yet.

"There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." [Romans 3:10-12].

Emphasis mine.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see that Reformed theology denies that people seek God. Rather, it says that no one can desire God unless he has first regenerated them. Coming to faith isn't always an easy process. There may be searching involved, and false paths. But behind it all is God calling us.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0