People Pretending to be Orthodox on Youtube ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been watching youtube videos and some of the "Orthodox Channels" just don't seem very "Orthodox".

I guess my question is have you guys noticed this also And how do you deal with Priests and others (Laity) with in Orthodoxy that just don't seem legit ?

Father Matt how do you deal with other Priests that are not legit and when you can just tell something is off with them ?

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think with some experience, exposing oneself to Orthodoxy and truly Orthodox folks, we pretty quickly learn to spot the genuine.

Over the last few years I've encountered a number that seemed off, and I have generally found out why sooner or later.

If you mean actively do something about them - I think that would be the bishop's position? I have made people aware (especially catechumens) when there seemed to be a direct danger. Some of them develop real followings that can be almost rabid in their devotion and anger at seeing their heroes criticized. That can be another warning sign as well (though such a following can also develop with legitimate teachers, etc.).

It bothered me quite a bit more at first. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but that it's simply either (a) not my responsibility to directly confront them (b) better for me to focus on pursuing the good instead of trying to fight the bad unless it's right in front of me and/or (c) the Church doesn't need me to fight it's battles (there have always been battles, and always those few God does position to defend the faith - I don't see myself in their ranks though).

But yes there are plenty of fakes on FB. I wouldn't doubt on YouTube too.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think with some experience, exposing oneself to Orthodoxy and truly Orthodox folks, we pretty quickly learn to spot the genuine.

Over the last few years I've encountered a number that seemed off, and I have generally found out why sooner or later.

If you mean actively do something about them - I think that would be the bishop's position? I have made people aware (especially catechumens) when there seemed to be a direct danger. Some of them develop real followings that can be almost rabid in their devotion and anger at seeing their heroes criticized. That can be another warning sign as well (though such a following can also develop with legitimate teachers, etc.).

It bothered me quite a bit more at first. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but that it's simply either (a) not my responsibility to directly confront them (b) better for me to focus on pursuing the good instead of trying to fight the bad unless it's right in front of me and/or (c) the Church doesn't need me to fight it's battles (there have always been battles, and always those few God does position to defend the faith - I don't see myself in their ranks though).

But yes there are plenty of fakes on FB. I wouldn't doubt on YouTube too.

Thank You for answering.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There are several claiming EO in their profiles here on CF, too, so I guess the first thing would be to not be surprised or overreact when they are elsewhere too. ;)

If you converse with such people, you can always ask them who their bishop is and if they refuse to answer or answer with some whacko name nobody recognizes in the canonical EO Church, then you have your answer and I suppose you can/ought to choose to stop listening to them. I don't imagine there is much that a canonical EO bishop or priest can do about a guy or gal presenting themselves as EO online when they aren't beyond warning his people that this person or their organization are not what they claim to be. Things don't seem to rise to that level regarding individuals very often unless they become very popular and gather a following of their own, i.e., Vassula Ryden (boo, hiss), who was told off eventually by EO, RC, and OO (and they say we can't get along!), because she would be called out by one and then move on to the next, as is the common pattern. (That's how you get people like Bishop Draperod who have 500 titles accumulated from their associations with every group under the sun, as they move to spread their poison as far and wide as they can.)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been watching youtube videos and some of the "Orthodox Channels" just don't seem very "Orthodox".

I guess my question is have you guys noticed this also And how do you deal with Priests and others (Laity) with in Orthodoxy that just don't seem legit ?

Father Matt how do you deal with other Priests that are not legit and when you can just tell something is off with them ?

Lazar Puhalo

His Eminence Abp Lazar is legit. but take what he says with a Lot's wife of salt, as he schismed around a lot. that said, he does have some good stuff, just tread lightly.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He's in good standing with the OCA. In Canada or the northeast of the US, his approach is not that rare.

I would qualify that as also saying that some things he has said (directly to me on FB) do NOT represent Orthodox teaching.

He's not supposed to be teaching things he shouldn't. Whether or not he still does I have no idea, since I stopped listening. Though I have run across older things of his that were solid and useful.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are several claiming EO in their profiles here on CF, too, so I guess the first thing would be to not be surprised or overreact when they are elsewhere too. ;)

If you converse with such people, you can always ask them who their bishop is and if they refuse to answer or answer with some whacko name nobody recognizes in the canonical EO Church, then you have your answer and I suppose you can/ought to choose to stop listening to them. I don't imagine there is much that a canonical EO bishop or priest can do about a guy or gal presenting themselves as EO online when they aren't beyond warning his people that this person or their organization are not what they claim to be. Things don't seem to rise to that level regarding individuals very often unless they become very popular and gather a following of their own, i.e., Vassula Ryden (boo, hiss), who was told off eventually by EO, RC, and OO (and they say we can't get along!), because she would be called out by one and then move on to the next, as is the common pattern. (That's how you get people like Bishop Draperod who have 500 titles accumulated from their associations with every group under the sun, as they move to spread their poison as far and wide as they can.)
"There are several claiming EO in their profiles here on CF, too, so I guess the first thing would be to not be surprised or overreact when they are elsewhere too. ;)"

Do you mean like that guy who pretends to be Orthodox even though he is from the Assyrian Church of the East?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think the Assyrian Church of the East exists in significant numbers anywhere, anymore, except perhaps India. It seems to have been crushed in the early medieval period due to the spread of Islam and the persecution by empires such as China.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparrently, some churches still exist, though some Syriac Christians have rejoined Rome, others continue to exist autonomously:

Syriac Christianity - Wikipedia

There are only a little over 130,000 members worldwide. I doubt we would encounter many on the forum, but it's probably worth having a separate faith group nontheless.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Lazar Puhalo

Back in the Old Days AKA the 1990s when I was an inquirer this was largely dealt with by posting lists of specific "Non-Canonical" Orthodox churches on web sites like "The Orthodox Christian Information Center". Now I think it is handled by posting articles like this one that summarize the symptoms of the problem, since the Eastern mystique has grown among sacramental Protestants who like to incorporate elements of liturgy and theology into their practice and other folks who would like to be "Orthodox" on their own terms.

Western Orthodoxy: Signs an "Orthodox" Church is Non-Canonical

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean like that guy who pretends to be Orthodox even though he is from the Assyrian Church of the East?

I have a feeling I might know that guy! I've had some years of experience with the ACOE, and it is a small community.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
OK I've always been wanting to ask about Brother Nathanael for years so this is my chance... how does he fit in on this subject? At the very least he is very outspoken on politics which is unusual for a monk.

Upvote 0