Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
On May 24th, my Grandmother passed away after about three weeks of kidney failure. She was 87 and a wonderful, wonderful human being. Three weeks prior to her death we were informed that she had six hours to live due to the kidney failure, however, a 1/1000 chance medication did cause her kidneys to function at a tremendously low level allowing her three more weeks of life.

Upon her regaining consciousness from the last ditch medication, she informed my cousin that she saw people in white sheets in her room. Now my grandmother had dementia, and had lost the mental capacity for creative hallucinations such as this. My cousin, who is not religious just like me, asked her if she saw "pappaw" with the people. She replied, "No, I'm the only one with white hair." My cousin asked, "Are you going to go with them?" My grandmother replied, "No, I think I'm going to stay here a little longer." She then went back to sleep.

This experience has caused me to reflect more on the afterlife. Whereas I thought it possible before, I now see it as more likely than not. This hasn't changed my position on Christianity, but it has caused me to reflect more on what lies beyond the veil. Is it quantum archaeology, the result of our universe being simulated, a traditionally accepted afterlife with a personal being? I don't know, and none of you do either. But I wanted to share this with all of you -- me being a deist, I think this anecdote is more trustworthy. This is is not satire, parody, etc... this truly happened. It made the passing less difficult for sure. I guess I'll just have to trust the mysterious people in "white sheets" to care for my loved ones until we begin to understand it better.

Best regards, BL

Reactions: TillICollapse

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
BL, my personal hunch is that what we'll find is entirely in accord with the Bible BUT that it will be quite different from come to recognize that the Bible spoke of it...yet we didn't get the point because we are only able, in this life, to comprehend a very approximate version of what the afterlife is like.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If your personal hunch is the ultimate truth of the cosmos, I would indeed be surprised. I'm hoping for something more amazing. =)

Oh, come down from your high horse. I shared my thoughts about this issue after you volunteered yours, that's all.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe you were wrong about this?

Well there's always the chance. But as far as probabilities go, it is highly unlikely. That doesn't mean there's a religious answer, and it doesn't completely rule out hallucinations. But it's enough to give me pause and consider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well there's always the chance. But as far as probabilities go, it is highly unlikely. That doesn't mean there's a religious answer, and it doesn't completely rule out hallucinations. But it's enough to give me pause and consider.
I would say it's a good chance. Usually the the parsimonious answer is the likely explanation.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
On May 24th, my Grandmother passed away after about three weeks of kidney failure. She was 87 and a wonderful, wonderful human being. Three weeks prior to her death we were informed that she had six hours to live due to the kidney failure, however, a 1/1000 chance medication did cause her kidneys to function at a tremendously low level allowing her three more weeks of life.

Upon her regaining consciousness from the last ditch medication, she informed my cousin that she saw people in white sheets in her room. Now my grandmother had dementia, and had lost the mental capacity for creative hallucinations such as this. My cousin, who is not religious just like me, asked her if she saw "pappaw" with the people. She replied, "No, I'm the only one with white hair." My cousin asked, "Are you going to go with them?" My grandmother replied, "No, I think I'm going to stay here a little longer." She then went back to sleep.

This experience has caused me to reflect more on the afterlife. Whereas I thought it possible before, I now see it as more likely than not. This hasn't changed my position on Christianity, but it has caused me to reflect more on what lies beyond the veil. Is it quantum archaeology, the result of our universe being simulated, a traditionally accepted afterlife with a personal being? I don't know, and none of you do either. But I wanted to share this with all of you -- me being a deist, I think this anecdote is more trustworthy. This is is not satire, parody, etc... this truly happened. It made the passing less difficult for sure. I guess I'll just have to trust the mysterious people in "white sheets" to care for my loved ones until we begin to understand it better.

Best regards, BL

People in that condition tend to hallucinate all sorts of things. I remember when my grandmother was in a similar situation and saw "windows" to the outside of the hospital where there were none. She also saw helicopters hovering around the ceiling. There were a couple other things that she spoke about seeing that I won't be mentioning here...but your grandmother's experience isn't uncommon.

Im curious about why you'd think she didn't have any capacity to hallucinate?

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
People in that condition tend to hallucinate all sorts of things. I remember when my grandmother was in a similar situation and saw "windows" to the outside of the hospital where there were none. She also saw helicopters hovering around the ceiling. There were a couple other things that she spoke about seeing that I won't be mentioning here...but your grandmother's experience isn't uncommon.

Im curious about why you'd think she didn't have any capacity to hallucinate?

She was in a constant state of believing she was in her home and her lack of short term memory was a barrier to creativity (conscious and subconscious). She was a lovely person stuck in mental loops in which she repeated the same things over and over (although to be fair she was so kind and pleasant that it wasn't hard to handle). Her near death lucid moment featuring commentary about people in white sheets was totally abnormal and caught even the skeptics completely off guard (me included).

For the next three weeks it never happened again, but thankfully because of her dementia she never realized she was dying. We took her home with hospice, took care of her 24/7, and enjoyed borrowed time with one of the most beautiful persons on the planet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So, why isn't it just a dream or hallucination? If someone can't remember their dreams, or doesn't normally hallucinate, that doesn't mean hallucinations and dreams are impossible for them, especially is strnage circumstances.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She was in a constant state of believing she was in her home and her lack of short term memory was a barrier to creativity (conscious and subconscious). She was a lovely person stuck in mental loops in which she repeated the same things over and over (although to be fair she was so kind and pleasant that it wasn't hard to handle). Her near death lucid moment featuring commentary about people in white sheets was totally abnormal and caught even the skeptics completely off guard (me included).

For the next three weeks it never happened again, but thankfully because of her dementia she never realized she was dying. We took her home with hospice, took care of her 24/7, and enjoyed borrowed time with one of the most beautiful persons on the planet.

You know what? I'm not sure I should continue with the reply I intended to write. It seems this event affected you deeply, and I'm not sure the intent of your OP...so I'll just ask....

Were you just trying to share an experience with the forum and discuss the effect it had on you?

Or maybe, were you interested in critically examining the situation with the help of some outside perspectives?

I had originally thought the thread was to be about the latter...but I think now maybe that's my mistake and you really intended on the former or something like it.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, why isn't it just a dream or hallucination? If someone can't remember their dreams, or doesn't normally hallucinate, that doesn't mean hallucinations and dreams are impossible for them, especially is strnage circumstances.

It could be. Just given her specific conditions, it's less likely than other answers. I think sometimes we let our biases tell us what the most likely answer is: in this case a complete skeptic such as myself, fully aware of the situation, had to step back and rethink my position. You have to consider, I have years of experience with this lady that I can't fully convey in short posts or even long posts. Her statement caused a person who you have ask watched be highly skeptical take a step back. And previously I was fine with the idea of no afterlife (still am if that's the case).

I think it's okay to ponder the idea of an afterlife. I certainly don't view it as religious. Perhaps 20,000 years from now we gain the ability to resurrect the dead through the manipulation of space and time. Perhaps the universe is simulated and consciousness in some form continues on. Perhaps not.

Ana, I think this answers what you have asked as well. I just wanted to share. Perhaps we rationalists should take another look at qualia and consider that we don't know enough about it yet to declare it's constraints. I look forward to the future and learning much more about ourselves and the cosmos. =)

Upvote 0