Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Outside of charismatic expression, are there any other differences in beliefs of Pentecostals & Baptists?

There are many types of Baptists.

Calvinist Baptists
Free-will Baptists which may be Arminian
Charismatic Baptists like Pat Robertson on 700 Club.

Like Baptists, Pentecostals believe in full immersion baptism after accepting Christ, not as an infant.

Most Pentecostals are Arminians.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Outside of charismatic expression, are there any other differences in beliefs of Pentecostals & Baptists?

My family are Baptist and Pentecostal except for a few Methodists here and there who have almost all passed on.

Pentecostals generally don't hold to once saved always saved the way Baptists do.

Upvote 0

Justin BT

Jan 18, 2020
Taipei
✟17,705.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The range of Pentecostal and Baptist beliefs are large. This question could only be answered in a very general sense. (There are Calvinist and Arminian Pentecostals and Baptists).

Charismatic expression would be the primary distinctive. Belieif in Holy Spirit baptism for specific gifts (especially tongues) on top of the general regenerating and saving work of the Spirit that should become an active part of your life would be a second one.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
My family are Baptist and Pentecostal except for a few Methodists here and there who have almost all passed on.

Pentecostals generally don't hold to once saved always saved the way Baptists do.

Do Free-will Baptists (who aren't Calvinists) believe in OSAS?

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
The range of Pentecostal and Baptist beliefs are large. This question could only be answered in a very general sense. (There are Calvinist and Arminian Pentecostals and Baptists).

Charismatic expression would be the primary distinctive. Belieif in Holy Spirit baptism for specific gifts (especially tongues) on top of the general regenerating and saving work of the Spirit that should become an active part of your life would be a second one.

Plus, all that I know of believe in adult full immersion baptism, not infant baptism or sprinkling, except in death beds.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do Free-will Baptists (who aren't Calvinists) believe in OSAS?

There are honestly too many groups and independent churches identifying themselves as Baptists to know the differences between them all. When I think of Baptists I usually think of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
There are honestly too many groups and independent churches identifying themselves as Baptists to know the differences between them all. When I think of Baptists I usually think of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Me too, frankly.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Chiming none, if those differences serve disunity moreso than individual characteristics or gifts.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I'm an Independent Baptist, or fundamental, very strict on doctrine.

Outside of the baptism with Holy Spirit I hold exactly to the tee, the doctrine of Jimmy Swaggart.

That flies in the face of some of my fundamental friends but we get along.

They hold strong to OSAS and I don't, there is to much scripture pointing otherwise.

There are some others in my church that don't hold on to OSAS.

• Winner
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems then that many of the same perspectives on salvation by grace can be found among both believers. Charismatic expression is chiefly Pentecostal &, I would think, just not a matter of focus to most Baptists.

Thank you for the replies, if anything I said needs correction, please do. I was just curious; God bless.

Upvote 0