Lancashire
✟9,507.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is quite an old story but it seems to be a "leaked" video of a lecture at Department of Defence

The gist of it is a proposed vaccine against the Vmat2 gene which is the gene which plays a role in openness towards spirituality. In other words the lecturer proposes to vaccinate fundamental believers so that they become less fundamental or even lose their faith entirely.

Here are articles on the God gene

Experimenting with Spirituality: Analyzing The God Gene in a Nonmajors Laboratory Course

Jewish Word | The God Gene

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
This is quite an old story but it seems to be a "leaked" video of a lecture at Department of Defence

The gist of it is a proposed vaccine against the Vmat2 gene which is the gene which plays a role in openness towards spirituality. In other words the lecturer proposes to vaccinate fundamental believers so that they become less fundamental or even lose their faith entirely.

Experimenting with Spirituality: Analyzing The God Gene in a Nonmajors Laboratory Course

What other side effects?

But salvific faith is the gift of God. It cannot be taken away. It is God himself within.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Riveting. I'm sure there were crowds outside just waiting to come in to see the lecture.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This is interesting, because it's a fake, but an incredibly detailed one.

Things to note :
  • It's obviously taking place in a school lecture room
  • The brain images of "two different individuals" are actually the same brain, that of a 43 year old meth addict (thanks, metabunk)
  • The video is supposedly from 2005, but the brain image is from 2010
  • It seems that someone faked this video so they could then raise money on kickstarter to "investigate" it
It's very old news though, dating from 2011.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I worry information. like this on the web get shared with simple, vulnerable who are unable and or unwilling to check its veracity.

Paranoia does not need gasoline on the fire.

Please move this to conspiracy forums fast....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Babbit

Dec 28, 2018
Lancashire
✟9,507.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm new to this forum so I didn't know there was a conspiracy forum so I would have put it up there had I known.

If it is a hoax, it is quite an elaborate one and makes me wonder how they got their hands on the "raw video footage" unless a) these jokesters actually do work for the DOD and made this as a prank (probably risking their position in the process)
b) that the footage is from a random unrelated lecture in a random unrelated lecture theatre outside of the DOD with a faked time code stamp and faked audio overdub.

The articles about the research on the "God gene" I put under the video are backed up though by medical journal citation.
I guess one smart alec thought something along the lines of..
"If they find out which part of the brain we use when we have faith, how would the powers that be go about exploiting or controlling that".
He/she then decided to artfully mock this video up.

I guess then this video can be filed under the "what if" category.

It does make me wonder though. CIA documents declassified to the public have shown that they have been heavily involved and have invested in "mind control". A great many Nazi scientists who were experimenting on how to control the mind were brought over to the US with immunity under Operation Paperclip. This is a fact. Ex-Nazi scientist Werner Von Braun made rockets for the US not long after making rockets for the Nazis. He also was the main force behind the creation of NASA.
(He has his own Wikipedia page)

Some people ask, legitimately, who won the war? The allies? Or the Nazis? If the allies adopted Nazi scientists and Nazi experimentation on humans, then hasn't morality been compromised there? Hasn't the lines been blurred within our own countries?
I wonder if the series "The Man In High Castle" is hinting at the fact that the Nazis worked for the allies, in elevated positions of power behind closed doors.

I've digressed there..
Going back to the original video.
I know that we can discount it now as a hoax but it does raise some interesting questions that aren't as far fetched as you might think.
1) If there is a part of the brain that is used when of faith, can it be controlled and do they now have the means to do so? (They already have the science and technology to create clones, hybrids and can splice and edit genetic code)
2) More importantly, from a faith perspective, if a person was artificially forced to lose their faith, would God judge that person?

Personally I think that although all of this is very interesting speculation, "No weapon formed against you shall prosper".
I am convinced, that as God knows everything, that a person whose faith was "removed" by malicious forces, that person would only be judged on their choice of faith when they still had free will. It's all about free will. If that free will is removed then the whole issue is changed.

I know someone already joked about the mark of the beast.
Joking aside though, if someone had direct control of your mind and forced you to take the mark against your mind or your will, then I don't think this will count.
The important thing about the mark of the beast is that you have to choose it, that is why it is so damning. I'm sure there will be incredible pressure to take it but it will still need to be a free will choice. If you were under mind control while accepting it, then it would be the same as someone pinning you down and forcing it on you.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in this area of science/ pseudo science, I am very hopeful.
I don't believe our just Father in heaven would judge a person harshly in these circumstances.
I do believe there are dispensations for people who do not have free will of the mind.

Has anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Some people may believe in Universalism. I personally don't believe in it but I do think there may be cases of dispensation.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Miss Babbit

Dec 28, 2018
Lancashire
✟9,507.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can anyone tell me how to move this thread to the Conspiracy section? Is that something a poster can do or is it something that only a moderator can do?

As I said on my previous post, I'm new here so don't know my way around yet..

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone tell me how to move this thread to the Conspiracy section? Is that something a poster can do or is it something that only a moderator can do?

This is a moderator issue. I suspect the move will take place shortly.

• Friendly
Reactions: Miss Babbit
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am reminded of another "mind control" experiment by the US military that actually took place.

About 25 years ago I attended a seminar presented by a retired US Army general. He pointed out that it is very difficult for most people to be motivated to kill another human being. This is a very real problem for the military. In a combat situation many soldiers 'freeze up' in various ways. Some simply refuse to shoot, others will shoot but not at the enemy and some others will simply go through the motions without actually firing their weapon. For example, following the Battle of Gettysburg approximately 11,000 unfired muskets were recovered. The vast majority had been loaded and reloaded sometimes over a dozen times but had never been fired.

In the mid 1950s following the Korean war this officer was tasked with finding a way around this problem. As a psychologist he decided to try desensitization techniques. Recruits were shown professionally prepared extremely graphic films depicting military actions that included soldiers being wounded and/or killed.

Did this approach work? Yes, it certainly did as witness the Viet Nam War. Some American soldiers were desensitized to the point that military discipline was broken and mass killings of enemy civilians occurred as in the Mai Lai massacre.

So, what was the point of his presentation? He pointed out that desensitization actually works very well but it is no longer limited to military training purposes. The population, particularly the young and most impressionable, are now being exposed to movies, TV programs, comics and video games that are far more graphic and brutal than the military films that were prepared under his direction.

His concern was very simple and straightforward --- we are in the process right now of desensitizing an entire population to violence and death. It should be no surprise to us at all when we see young people brutalizing and killing each other sometimes on a large scale.

Is this a problem that we should be concerned about?

I think so.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Just report your OP with the request to move and a moderator will get to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If it is a hoax, it is quite an elaborate one and makes me wonder how they got their hands on the "raw video footage" unless a) these jokesters actually do work for the DOD and made this as a prank (probably risking their position in the process)
b) that the footage is from a random unrelated lecture in a random unrelated lecture theatre outside of the DOD with a faked time code stamp and faked audio overdub.

You don't even have to fake the audio or the slides; you just have to stage your own fake lecture. Many conference rooms and lecture halls are set up to record video like this and to automatically overlay multiple sources (e.g. camera footage & slides) into a single output video. Anybody with access to a university or other sort of mid-level meeting facility could pull this off in an empty room inside of an hour.

I am reminded of another "mind control" experiment by the US military that actually took place.

About 25 years ago I attended a seminar presented by a retired US Army general. He pointed out that it is very difficult for most people to be motivated to kill another human being. This is a very real problem for the military. In a combat situation many soldiers 'freeze up' in various ways. Some simply refuse to shoot, others will shoot but not at the enemy and some others will simply go through the motions without actually firing their weapon. For example, following the Battle of Gettysburg approximately 11,000 unfired muskets were recovered. The vast majority had been loaded and reloaded sometimes over a dozen times but had never been fired.

In the mid 1950s following the Korean war this officer was tasked with finding a way around this problem. As a psychologist he decided to try desensitization techniques. Recruits were shown professionally prepared extremely graphic films depicting military actions that included soldiers being wounded and/or killed.

Did this approach work? Yes, it certainly did as witness the Viet Nam War. Some American soldiers were desensitized to the point that military discipline was broken and mass killings of enemy civilians occurred as in the Mai Lai massacre.

So, what was the point of his presentation? He pointed out that desensitization actually works very well but it is no longer limited to military training purposes. The population, particularly the young and most impressionable, are now being exposed to movies, TV programs, comics and video games that are far more graphic and brutal than the military films that were prepared under his direction.

His concern was very simple and straightforward --- we are in the process right now of desensitizing an entire population to violence and death. It should be no surprise to us at all when we see young people brutalizing and killing each other sometimes on a large scale.

Is this a problem that we should be concerned about?

I think so.

On one hand, I'm sure this is true. OTOH, the dehumanizing of people started long before Korea. Lynchings used to be social gatherings.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, the other poster provided links debunking it...

But, again it raises a point I've made about conspiracy theories, in general, that always puzzle me.

It would seem the advocates of these theories can't seem to make up their minds on whether or not the conspirators are either the most elite evil masterminds of all time, capable of pulling off massive, intricate plots (like faking the moon landing, setting up the JFK assassination, orchestrating 9/11, etc...), or if they're the most bumbling buffoons, so sloppy with their attention to detail, that they allow clear evidence of their plot to make it to the public.

Like this one.

So these guys are supposedly Pentagon intelligence officials, pulling together top neuroscience minds, so intricate, that they can devise a way to shutdown the part of the brain that responds to religious feelings via a vaccine. It would take incredible power, reach, and razor sharp precision in order to pull something like that off...

Yet, they supposedly didn't have the foresight to A) not record it, B) not keep an eye on the recording to make sure it didn't out, and C) not have the power & reach to get their video taken down once it did get leaked.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
This is not how vaccination works. You don’t vaccinate against a gene. If you did vaccinate against VMAT2 (the protein), you would kill off the cells that express that protein. This would undoubtedly cause wide spread adverse effects, if not death.
Vesicular monoamine transporter 2: Role as a novel target for drug development

There are medications that inhibit VMAT2 function and are used in the treatment of movement disorders.
VMAT2 Inhibitors in Neuropsychiatric Disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

I found this an interesting comment on Wikipedia. I realize that Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source, but still ...
“Hamer himself notes that VMAT2 plays at most a minor role in influencing spirituality.[13]Furthermore, Hamer's claim that the VMAT2 gene contributes to spirituality is controversial.[13] Hamer's study has not been published in a peer reviewed journal and a reanalysis of the correlation demonstrates that it is not statistically significant.[13][14]
Vesicular monoamine transporter 2 - Wikipedia

• Informative
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You don't even have to fake the audio or the slides; you just have to stage your own fake lecture. Many conference rooms and lecture halls are set up to record video like this and to automatically overlay multiple sources (e.g. camera footage & slides) into a single output video. Anybody with access to a university or other sort of mid-level meeting facility could pull this off in an empty room inside of an hour.

In every war the propaganda swings into play to dehumanize and demonize the enemy. Desensitization is somewhat different --- it involves numbing the individual to the reality of violence.

On one hand, I'm sure this is true. OTOH, the dehumanizing of people started long before Korea. Lynchings used to be social gatherings.

Upvote 0