Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suppose this is a familiar story.
In one sense this man was probably the best man for the job. But I am not sure about now. The world is changing, social attitudes, technology, ideas about church governance.
His health is good at present, but who knows what is round the corner. He is in his mid 70s. There is a lot of responsibility - the church has lots of social ministry, which actually is growing the church. There are a number of very good things happening.
He has an eldership of just one other person. He is incredibly loyal and protective. (probably as a reaction to the situation of criticism)
There is a wider deaconate which has lots of practical responsibility.
He has had other elders or spiritual leaders in his eldership team but they have eventually left to where they have found a leadership preaching ministry. He won't share the pulpit and takes seriously his responsibility under God for the church, in presenting it healthy before God. The buck stops with him.
He's not dictatorial in an aggressive way, but there is only one way to do things. His way.
I fear a lot of this is not really spiritual at all. As in the world, there is fear of loss of control.
Do you think he should be sharing the spiritual leadership and discipling a replacement. (There certainly is one person who could take over, who himself is very loyal and would never push himself forward...)

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think he should be sharing the spiritual leadership and discipling a replacement. (There certainly is one person who could take over, who himself is very loyal and would never push himself forward...)
Greetings @hopeforhappiness
One thing to remember is that God's servant or Shepherd shall answer unto God and not the sheep.

Prayer is the best way of dealing with these things. Seeking God for insight and understanding concerning this situation.
Blessings
FCJ

Reactions: Cturtle
Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The church (I suppose) is pentecostal but there's very little pentecostalism (and that's relevant!)
The exercise of the Gifts could be very divisive, especially prophecy.
Yes, we shall all answer to God. That is not a responsibility exclusive to pastors/leaders. It is just that they will be especially accountable. But this has been used in my view as playing the authority card whenever there is a difficult clash of theology or ministry. Very rarely is such an issue resolved by letting the Bible decide.
Anyway, agreed that this gentle and Godly man wants to leave a functioning church. What is meant by functioning. The numbers are there and there are continual exhortations to loving one another, but is there a depth of understanding or spiritual maturity or exercise of ministry throughout the body which God may regard as expressions of more than 'functioning'. What about 'victorious'?

Upvote 0