Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So I recently figured I'd try my hand at calligraphy. Unbeknownst to me, using dip pens is incredibly difficult for left-handed people... So I've moved on to a fountain pen for now and I'll revisit dip pens in the future to try and figure out a technique that works for me.

I don't have any fountain pens yet that have a nib flexible enough for my liking to try calligraphy, but I'm thinking I'll learn cursive first.

I bought a lot of different inks by Diamine. Some of them are as you'd expect, some are just really cool! I've mostly been using Red Dragon (Sample -- Not mine) and Sherwood Green (Another sample).

The paper I've been using is called Basildon Bond Champagne. The red dries almost like blood and the green is quite dark and the colour itself is quite subtle, but in the right light it's obviously green.

I have some pens I ordered from eBay on the way that'll arrive in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to trying them and being able to have multiple inks on hand as my current fountain pen I'll keep for just the Red Dragon ink and I'll use each pen exclusively with a particular ink.

Does anyone else still write letters? Know any cool fonts? Have any ink, fountain pen or stationery recommendations? Would love to hear them!

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I recently figured I'd try my hand at calligraphy. Unbeknownst to me, using dip pens is incredibly difficult for left-handed people... So I've moved on to a fountain pen for now and I'll revisit dip pens in the future to try and figure out a technique that works for me.

I don't have any fountain pens yet that have a nib flexible enough for my liking to try calligraphy, but I'm thinking I'll learn cursive first.

I bought a lot of different inks by Diamine. Some of them are as you'd expect, some are just really cool! I've mostly been using Red Dragon (Sample -- Not mine) and Sherwood Green (Another sample).

The paper I've been using is called Basildon Bond Champagne. The red dries almost like blood and the green is quite dark and the colour itself is quite subtle, but in the right light it's obviously green.

I have some pens I ordered from eBay on the way that'll arrive in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to trying them and being able to have multiple inks on hand as my current fountain pen I'll keep for just the Red Dragon ink and I'll use each pen exclusively with a particular ink.

Does anyone else still write letters? Know any cool fonts? Have any ink, fountain pen or stationery recommendations? Would love to hear them!
Oh I have used Basildon Bond, but I gave up ink pens over 30 years ago and use biros now.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you still doing this? It's something I would love to learn. I have always been in awe of my aunt who does beautiful calligraphy.
Calligraphy is a very special subject. You've maybe seen Arabic, which can be very ornate.

Upvote 0