✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Central Pa. borough poised to become first to repeal LGBTQ protections

The plan by Chambersburg Borough Council to vote Monday to rescind the anti-discrimination ordinance comes only four months after the borough ratified the ordinance in October.

The ordinance, which extends protections against discrimination to gay, transgender or genderqueer people in employment, housing and public accommodations, was passed in October by the then-Democratic majority council.

The political makeup of the council, however, changed with the November municipal election, which ushered in a 7-3 Republican majority.

If Chambersburg succeeds in repealing the ordinance, it would mark the first time an LGBTQ inclusive law is revoked in Pennsylvania. To date, 70 municipalities, including Gettysburg, Shippensburg, Carlisle, Camp Hill and Harrisburg, have ratified such ordinances.

Pennsylvania is one of 27 states that have no explicit statewide laws protecting people from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, housing and public accommodations.

Reactions: Taodeching

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Central Pa. borough poised to become first to repeal LGBTQ protections

The plan by Chambersburg Borough Council to vote Monday to rescind the anti-discrimination ordinance comes only four months after the borough ratified the ordinance in October.

The ordinance, which extends protections against discrimination to gay, transgender or genderqueer people in employment, housing and public accommodations, was passed in October by the then-Democratic majority council.

The political makeup of the council, however, changed with the November municipal election, which ushered in a 7-3 Republican majority.

If Chambersburg succeeds in repealing the ordinance, it would mark the first time an LGBTQ inclusive law is revoked in Pennsylvania. To date, 70 municipalities, including Gettysburg, Shippensburg, Carlisle, Camp Hill and Harrisburg, have ratified such ordinances.

Pennsylvania is one of 27 states that have no explicit statewide laws protecting people from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, housing and public accommodations.

Hope it passes

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bending over backwards, I could possibly see that an argument could be made that a discrimination law might not be required. That we live in a world where it doesn't happen to any extent that would require it.

But removing a discrimination law seems to be a tacit agreement that it's acceptable. Indeed, anyone who was of a mind to discriminate will see this as a green light to do so.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Hope it passes

Maybe people in PA are starting to get sick of narcissistic men saying they are women in order to dominate women's sports, like what's been going on lately at UPenn, completely ruining opportunities for actual female athletes now that sex is no longer protected from anti-discrimination. Among many other things. Was driving on one of the major highways in my state the other day and saw a PA license plate with that popular phrase on the vehicle that refers to being displeased with the current President, so not all of PA has gone woke fortunately.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Coffman, the council president, got a slap on the wrist under this policy last year when he gave a mildly snarky, "stereotypical butthurt white guy" response to a constituent's petitioning for the passage of the ordinance:

About the reprimand:
Non-discrimination: Chambersburg Boro Council reprimands Allen Coffman

Only link I could find with the initial letter, along with his response:
https://fcfreepresspa.com/discrimination-complaint-on-monday-agenda/

Maybe people in PA are starting to get sick of narcissistic men saying they are women in order to dominate women's sports, like what's been going on lately at UPenn, completely ruining opportunities for actual female athletes now that sex is no longer protected from anti-discrimination. Among many other things. Was driving on one of the major highways in my state the other day and saw a PA license plate with that popular phrase on the vehicle that refers to being displeased with the current President, so not all of PA has gone woke fortunately.

If you care about college sports, pass some rules about that. This rule is about housing, employment, and public accommodations where your perceived narcissism is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
If you care about college sports, pass some rules about that. This rule is about housing, employment, and public accommodations where your perceived narcissism is irrelevant.

Now where did I put that really small violin?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now where did I put that really small violin?

I don't know. But have you tried looking for it wherever it is that conservatives store their rationale for pooh-poohing anti-discrimination measures while trying to convince the rest of us that they're just a bunch of live-and-let-live libertarians and totally not hateful authoritarians bent on treating certain groups as <others> or <less thans>?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I don't know. But have you tried looking for it wherever it is that conservatives store their rationale for pooh-poohing anti-discrimination measures while trying to convince the rest of us that they're just a bunch of live-and-let-live libertarians and totally not hateful authoritarians bent on treating certain groups as <others> or <less thans>?

I appreciate the irony in your statement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Because disabilities are already on the book and this LGBT nonsense is a metal disability that needs help and medication to return to a more normal life.
Too bad the APA disagrees with you.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hope it passes

As it stands, some people have protection against being discriminated against. Do you actually want that protection removed so people can discriminate against them?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because disabilities are already on the book and this LGBT nonsense is a metal disability that needs help and medication to return to a more normal life.

I can give you a list of countries that do consider it to be a mental illness. Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan...should I go on?

Your support for that position and alignment with the position of those countries is noted.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I love it when Christians talk crap about the LGBTQ community like this. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and jesuslike.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too bad the APA disagrees with you.

Yea to bad they went nutty when liberals took over and took it off the books. Frankly I could care less about the APA, they can jump off a short pier they don't decide what God deems good or bad.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As it stands, some people have protection against being discriminated against. Do you actually want that protection removed so people can discriminate against them?

Sure, they ain't nothing special and people already can't discriminate against disability. Why do they need to be treated special? If we want to be cowardly and treat them special then we should treat every group as special including Christians. Heck don't stop there treat pedophiles, polygamist, and others that way everyone is treated extra special

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sure, they ain't nothing special... Why do they need to be treated special?

Antidiscrimination laws literally require them to be treated just like everyone else.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

Let's take a look at what the current ordinance protects.
it says a person can't be fired from their job just because they are LGBT
it says an LGBT person can't be denied housing just because they are LGBT
It says a person can't be evicted from their home just because they are LGBT
It says people can't be denied access to shops and business just because they are LGBT

WOW this ordinance is horrible and unamerican. what about the rights of good honest hard working bigots?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,577.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I guess it is a good thing some Christians have given up on the whole love your neighbor thing. It did not seem to fit well with their idea that we need to oppress those who are different.

Upvote 0