Penn professor: The United States 'will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites'

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Penn professor: The United States 'will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites'
University of Pennsylvania professor Amy Wax is receiving backlash for racist comments she made at a conference about conservatism over the weekend.

In a panel on immigration, University of Pennsylvania law professor Amy Wax claimed that immigrants are too loud and responsible for an increase in 'litter.' She explicitly advocated an immigration policy that would favor immigrants from Western countries over non-Western ones; 'the position,' as she put it, 'that our country will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites.' (She claims this is not racist because her problem with nonwhite immigrants is cultural rather than biological.)"

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Wait, I thought all those ivy league professors were liberal.
While the humanities may have more liberals, we need to take other subjects like medicine, law, economics, engineering, the sciences, you start to see a much wider variety of political leanings. Quite simply, much of the conservative complaints about colleges and universities is incorrect.

I know one thing, it must be horrible to be a person of color in her class.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wait, I thought all those ivy league professors were liberal.
Only when it works to someone's advantage to say that. Then of coarse the tribe just believes it.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How's about everyone is an idiot, including this professor, and it is not right to create or attempt to create actual governmental policies based on negative traits you associate with people due to their race or ethnicity. Is that unacceptable for some reason?

The problem with pointing to non-white academics or whoever making statements about white people is that we do not live in a world where because other people are saying/doing bad things too, it all comes out in the wash.

If a white person kills a black person and then a black person kills a white person in revenge (or for any other reason), are they then 'even'? No. All you have then is two murder victims. Deaths and misery are compounded, not equalized.

I live in a multiracial/multiethnic area of my city where white people are the minority at 47%, roughly 70% of the population has only a high school diploma, and over 35% of the total population lives below the poverty line. Many of my neighbors in this neighborhood are black people. Are they loud? Yes, they are. Many of my neighbors are Hispanic people. Are they loud? Yes, they are. Many of my neighbors are from the Indian subcontinent. Are they loud? Yes, they are. And many of my white neighbors are also loud, almost competitively so (I'm just one dude, so I don't think I'm loud, but I probably can be without realizing it). I swear, on the weekends here it is like a battle of the assumed races/ethnic groups as to who can blast their music louder. Is it going to be Mariachi music that wins out this weekend, or is it going to be Queen? All their kids also run around like little lemurs on crack, and always, always hog the pool. It doesn't matter what race they are. I've been here going on three months and still haven't gotten to use it once because it's never actually been empty, thanks to the high summer temperatures.

My point is that people are more similar than different. Cultural attitudes can vary widely on basically anything (when I lived in Albuquerque, a recent arrival to my apartment complex from Libya came knocking on my door around 11 pm one night, asking if we could "share internet"...uh, no dude...I don't think so..."But I pay you! We share internet! It is easier!" Nope...sorry, habibi, it's not gonna happen), but when you're living in a majority non-white environment, it'd be pretty out of hand rude to be like "Com'on, everybody! You guys may rule this apartment complex, but the country is still majority white, so knock it off with your...non-white ways of being that you're doing! They're really annoying!" And I can't help but think that this is how this so-called 'professor' sounds, with her 'cultural, not biological' racism towards non-white people.

Eventually non-whites will be the majority of the United States. As someone whose family is mixed in all different directions, from Mexico to Greenland to I dunno where else, I can't even pretend to care. "But we won't be a white country anymore!" :eek: So? So we'll be something else! Or it will be sorta like every year in this country was before the Europeans showed up in the first place! (Except still not... :( The new Americans will probably not be American Indians.) I don't really get the point of protesting this. Are you afraid that you'll have better food, better music, and other further enrichment of America's cultural sphere? I could understand it more if it were a matter of competing values in the sense that some people argue that, for instance, the religion of Islam when practiced to the degree at which it is publicly manifest in Muslim-majority countries like Egypt, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, etc. is incompatible with Western societies. That is an argument I happen to agree with, not because I hate Muslims or anything but because I know too many Middle Eastern ethno-religious minorities who report exactly this from centuries of experience in their home countries to be convinced otherwise. But even that's not saying anything about the cultures of those places outside of the religious sphere. (Read: it's not like Islam is this monolith across the world to begin with, as there are some places in Central Asia where it is mostly quite placid, and it's not like because some don't tolerate religious pluralism in their societies of origin they won't learn to tolerate it here, if we make the effort to show that it is both mandatory to be successful here and ultimately a positive step in the development of their own communities.)

As far as I can tell, however, Ms. Wax was not making that kind of argument, but rather the pseudo-academic equivalent of "Eww, they're icky and loud and gross and I don't want to have to be around them." Yeah, well, deal with it. They probably don't like being around you, either, and I can't say I blame them.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You keep saying this but you don't ever do it. Post professional blacks, politicians, professors, doctors, etc. making racist statements.
I'm not saying they don't exist, I just think you should point it out with facts.
I think it's interesting that black people are the only target, while the topic is about professor that targets all non-whites as undesirables. Somehow black people are the issue when the topic is a racist view on immigration.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's interesting that black people are the only target, while the topic is about professor that targets all non-whites as undesirables. Somehow black people are the issue when the topic is a racist view on immigration.
Sorry about that I went off topic.
I think most people in their hearts know that a racist view is just wrong, so they have little to say about it. At least that's true for me.

• Friendly
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
She explicitly advocated an immigration policy that would favor immigrants from Western countries over non-Western ones; 'the position,' as she put it, 'that our country will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites.'

Mind bumping this when we find out what she actually said?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While the humanities may have more liberals, we need to take other subjects like medicine, law, economics, engineering, the sciences, you start to see a much wider variety of political leanings. Quite simply, much of the conservative complaints about colleges and universities is incorrect.

Oh I know. Some of the MBA guys I’ve known (Harvard included) have been almost cartoonishly right-wing. Like, they make way too much money to be that un-nuanced about anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Oh I know. Some of the MBA guys I’ve known (Harvard included) have been almost cartoonishly right-wing. Like, they make way too much money to be that un-nuanced about anything.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That appears to be a quote.
The words "the position, 'that our country will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites" is not a complete sentence. It doesn't assert anything. Maybe she said it, but I'd be surprised if she did.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The words "the position, 'that our country will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites" is not a complete sentence. It doesn't assert anything. Maybe she said it, but I'd be surprised if she did.
She's made racist statements before, so I would more surprised if she didn't say it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's been studies on this, hasn't there?

How Politically Biased Are Colleges? New Study Finds It's Far Worse Than Anybody Thought.

It's not so much a rhetorical talking point as it is a fact now.

Given the anti-intellectual stances of the Republican party, In many fields it is to be entirely expected.

It should surprise no one that people who study things for a living aren't lining up to register with the party of the soundbite and corporate interests being paramount over, well facts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Given the anti-intellectual stances of the Republican party, In many fields it is to be entirely expected.

It should surprise no one that people who study things for a living aren't lining up to register with the party of the soundbite and corporate interests being paramount over, well facts.

Yeah, I don't see that as surprising at all.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, the world has moved on from mid-twentieth-century Fascism, (“might makes right”) to [oh, let’s call it, “enlightened fascism”] of “money makes right”.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
How's about everyone is an idiot, including this professor, and it is not right to create or attempt to create actual governmental policies based on negative traits you associate with people due to their race or ethnicity. Is that unacceptable for some reason?

The problem with pointing to non-white academics or whoever making statements about white people is that we do not live in a world where because other people are saying/doing bad things too, it all comes out in the wash.

If a white person kills a black person and then a black person kills a white person in revenge (or for any other reason), are they then 'even'? No. All you have then is two murder victims. Deaths and misery are compounded, not equalized.

I live in a multiracial/multiethnic area of my city where white people are the minority at 47%, roughly 70% of the population has only a high school diploma, and over 35% of the total population lives below the poverty line. Many of my neighbors in this neighborhood are black people. Are they loud? Yes, they are. Many of my neighbors are Hispanic people. Are they loud? Yes, they are. Many of my neighbors are from the Indian subcontinent. Are they loud? Yes, they are. And many of my white neighbors are also loud, almost competitively so (I'm just one dude, so I don't think I'm loud, but I probably can be without realizing it). I swear, on the weekends here it is like a battle of the assumed races/ethnic groups as to who can blast their music louder. Is it going to be Mariachi music that wins out this weekend, or is it going to be Queen? All their kids also run around like little lemurs on crack, and always, always hog the pool. It doesn't matter what race they are. I've been here going on three months and still haven't gotten to use it once because it's never actually been empty, thanks to the high summer temperatures.

My point is that people are more similar than different. Cultural attitudes can vary widely on basically anything (when I lived in Albuquerque, a recent arrival to my apartment complex from Libya came knocking on my door around 11 pm one night, asking if we could "share internet"...uh, no dude...I don't think so..."But I pay you! We share internet! It is easier!" Nope...sorry, habibi, it's not gonna happen), but when you're living in a majority non-white environment, it'd be pretty out of hand rude to be like "Com'on, everybody! You guys may rule this apartment complex, but the country is still majority white, so knock it off with your...non-white ways of being that you're doing! They're really annoying!" And I can't help but think that this is how this so-called 'professor' sounds, with her 'cultural, not biological' racism towards non-white people.

Eventually non-whites will be the majority of the United States. As someone whose family is mixed in all different directions, from Mexico to Greenland to I dunno where else, I can't even pretend to care. "But we won't be a white country anymore!" :eek: So? So we'll be something else! Or it will be sorta like every year in this country was before the Europeans showed up in the first place! (Except still not... :( The new Americans will probably not be American Indians.) I don't really get the point of protesting this. Are you afraid that you'll have better food, better music, and other further enrichment of America's cultural sphere? I could understand it more if it were a matter of competing values in the sense that some people argue that, for instance, the religion of Islam when practiced to the degree at which it is publicly manifest in Muslim-majority countries like Egypt, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, etc. is incompatible with Western societies. That is an argument I happen to agree with, not because I hate Muslims or anything but because I know too many Middle Eastern ethno-religious minorities who report exactly this from centuries of experience in their home countries to be convinced otherwise. But even that's not saying anything about the cultures of those places outside of the religious sphere. (Read: it's not like Islam is this monolith across the world to begin with, as there are some places in Central Asia where it is mostly quite placid, and it's not like because some don't tolerate religious pluralism in their societies of origin they won't learn to tolerate it here, if we make the effort to show that it is both mandatory to be successful here and ultimately a positive step in the development of their own communities.)

As far as I can tell, however, Ms. Wax was not making that kind of argument, but rather the pseudo-academic equivalent of "Eww, they're icky and loud and gross and I don't want to have to be around them." Yeah, well, deal with it. They probably don't like being around you, either, and I can't say I blame them.
I think I agree with most of this. It seems that economic class brings more similarities of behaviour than race

Upvote 0