PelosiCare: A few details.

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only thing missing from Pelosi's (delivered dear-in-headlight esque) list of achievements was adding flavors for the gushy grinding stuff at the dentist to incluse venison and tangelo.....and a frozen organic apple pie delivered every Christmas.

Better not say to too loud......

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am very curious about how it will affect my own healthcare. As a military member I get pretty good care with no out of pocket for me, and I think pretty reasonable out of pocket for my kids. My health costs shouldn't rise or fall - I pay no premiums at all, so I can't look forward to a decrease in premiums to offset the increase in my taxes.

Not certain about your specific details, but the taxes by and large are comprised of three things. The first is an individual mandate to buy insurance with a fine if you choose not to... you, having insurance already don't have to worry about this. The second is an employer mandate to provide insurance (once again, with a fine if they don't)... and you shouldn't have to worry about this either. The last is an income tax targeting the wealthy (1% for 350k-500k, 1.5% for 500k-1m, 5.4% for 1m+)... and if your military, I'm gonna hedge my bet that you don't have to worry about this one either.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Let's use proper numenclature to rally the radical right. It passed the House so it is no longer PelosiCare, now the name is ReidCare, and if it passes the Senate and Obama signs it, then it will be officially ObamaCare, and when actually takes affect it will be called a Left wing Pinko Facist Communist Mao would be proud Act, passed by a Secret Muslim racist who hates white people just a tad bit less then he hates America.

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Steve-

The lefties like the idea of the government is taking care of them-they think the government loves them. When they are forced to pay high premiums, they won't feel so powerful. Especially, when healthcare is rationed on them; but they think , "oh it won't happen to me, I'm special hahaha". Pelosi and Reid are marxist - there is nothing competent about them nor do they have nothing in common with our Founding Fathers who were freedom lovers and antimarxist. They thumbed their nose at the american people to ram this healthcare bill through- they don't represent the people-but are dictators.
If Pelosi and Reid are incompetent, they will fail. We don't like failures. Look what happened to Bush and the Republicans. If you're so sure the Democrats are inept and will fail, you should get out of their way, and let them fail. That would be the surest path back to power for the Republicans. The Republicans are trying to stop the bill not because it's "inept," but because they're afraid people might like it.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Walk me through your constitutional analysis.
I would be interested in yours, actually. Where in the Constitution is this power granted to the Congress? What was the point of enumerating specific powers to the Congress if an all encompassing phrase would do the trick? Where do you, personally, draw the line on federal power?

I get the impression that many believe that so long as it doesnt violate the Bill of Rights, the federal government can do whatever it wants. Is that the standard?

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be interested in yours, actually. Where in the Constitution is this power granted to the Congress? What was the point of enumerating specific powers to the Congress if an all encompassing phrase would do the trick? Where do you, personally, draw the line on federal power?

I get the impression that many believe that so long as it doesnt violate the Bill of Rights, the federal government can do whatever it wants. Is that the standard?

I haven't advanced an argument here--I am not the one asserting the act is unconstitutional. I have no burden to demonstrate the constitutionality of the act, since statutes are presumed constitutional. See, e.g., United States v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000)

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
nvxplorer

They will always be failures to me because all they want is more power by speeding this healthcare bill through Congress behind american citizens backs. I respect politicians who are concerned about the will of the people which are not Pelosi and Reid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nvxplorer

They will always be failures to me because all they want is more power by speeding this healthcare bill through Congress behind american citizens backs. I respect politicians who are concerned about the will of the people which are not Pelosi and Reid.

How did the Constitution Party's candidates do in the last election? Not so great.

The opinions of your party are not the will of the people.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Article 1, Section 8, Clauses 3 & 18.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

jamesrwright3

Failure to pay a fine, any fine, is always subject to being jailed. What would be your solution? Public flogging? Stoning?

The goverment shouldn't hold a gun to your head if you don't want to buy insurance. Yes, automobile insurance is compulsory, but people always have the option of taking other means of transportation. With this bill Congress is going to be passing a breath tax. If you breathe, you either pay the tax or get fined or go to jail.

Better than a fine would be denying any health coverage if a person didn't opt into the system. If you choose not to buy health coverage and choose to buy cigarettes instead, good luck with that lung cancer.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The goverment shouldn't hold a gun to your head if you don't want to buy insurance. Yes, automobile insurance is compulsory, but people always have the option of taking other means of transportation. With this bill Congress is going to be passing a breath tax. If you breathe, you either pay the tax or get fined or go to jail.

Better than a fine would be denying any health coverage if a person didn't opt into the system. If you choose not to buy health coverage and choose to buy cigarettes instead, good luck with that lung cancer.

That works right up until some rugged individualist who doesn't want to buy no commie health insurance gets Tuberculosis, gets no health care, and proceeds to infect everybody who comes within coughing range.

Health care, especially for infectious diseases, is a PUBLIC health issue, not a private issue.

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's an unconstitutional fine they have no authority to pose on people.

I see people claiming this is unconstitutional all the time, but they never explain what the heck they mean. Look, here's the way I see it. There's a bunch of old people who wear funny robes who tell me that it's constitutional. If you want to put on your nicest suit and tell them it ain't, then please proceed... but until you convince those nice gentlemen and ladies, this argument is irrelevant.

Upvote 0