Pedophile ring bust hits home!

One of the fiends in that "enormous" bust of a pedophile ring last week lives not too far from me. Mixed emotions. On the one hand my sense of outrage demands some violent satisfaction, but the more reasoned senses yearn for license to study and maybe gain valuable information that could prevent future chemically imballanced aberations from predating their own children.

Mostly though I just want them to use him to make some arrests that would actually slow down the underground traffic of this stuff. My sense is that it's not going to happen, though.

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,218.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
You know, whether we like it or not, these people of whom you speak are STILL Sons & Daughters of God, who need to shown that they are loved BY God. They need to know they are of worth, leave the judgements to the courts and help them to find themselves in God.

Kiwimac

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:mad: I think I know of someone capable of that horrible evil. he goes to another Christian message board (ChristianBBS).

It makes me so :mad: that these creeps are all around and that there is absolutely NOTHING we can do about it.

It makes me even more :mad: that no laws exist against garbage that inspires/encourages such vile actions. (Those who have ears, let them hear)

Upvote 0
While I don't believe we are sons of daughters of any supernatural entity, I do think these people are severely damaged. I am as redneck as anyone when I read or hear this kind of thing: I want "JUSTICE". But deep down I know that there is something wrong with these people, and that maybe we could figure out what that is, what triggers it and a way to prevent it. Getting back at a few people who live below society feels nifty, but it doesn't stop the overall problem. I am coming to an age where I would rather save a child than punish a miscreant.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by MARANATHA2002
They have a element-al deficiency in the brain, which about 230 grains of lead will cure. If it were a child of mine, anyway. Peace, but not yet.

See? Exactly. Nevermind any kids we could save in the future, give me my instant gratification. This is my struggle.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Cephalic Carnage
While I don't believe we are sons of daughters of any supernatural entity, I do think these people are severely damaged. I am as redneck as anyone when I read or hear this kind of thing: I want "JUSTICE". But deep down I know that there is something wrong with these people, and that maybe we could figure out what that is, what triggers it and a way to prevent it. Getting back at a few people who live below society feels nifty, but it doesn't stop the overall problem. I am coming to an age where I would rather save a child than punish a miscreant.

Couldn't you save the child BY punishing the miscreant?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Assuming they are guilty, do you think you can teach them anything? They can teach us, I agree. They should be studied, querried, probed, tested, interrogated...but punished? That's ALL for your benifit. Separated for life from society, I can agree with. But not as punishment. Just as separation.

Upvote 0
Cephalic Carnage
Let's make it more personal. What if someone did that to your child? Or if you were a child, to you?

It is true that some people cannot accept or learn the mores of society. Because they don't learn, they hurt others. That is why we lock them up. Why should we allow them to continue to hurt others, regardless of whether or not they learn values? And how else do you punish them, other than isolating them from everyone else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Again, of what value is punishment. Isolation is all that is logically necessary.

if it was my kid I would do what any animal would do. That was part of the point of this thread. You theists can think of it as the urges of the flesh for vengeance and retribution versus the urges of the intellect for a a viable resolution to a problem.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, if it's one of mine, the ending has already been written. And in my belief, I am already forgiven.

The only way I would even consider a cure is if we would set up a test colony and study it in isolation for a few thousand years, perhaps on another planet.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by eldermike
I agree, if it's one of mine, the ending has already been written. And in my belief, I am already forgiven.

The only way I would even consider a cure is if we would set up a test colony and study it in isolation for a few thousand years, perhaps on another planet.

Not a cure. Prevention. ANd how many children have to suffer while your test colony runs it's course?

By the way, the first part of your answer is what I like to think as the "Why would a theist be moral?" conundrum.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,218.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Originally posted by Susan
:mad: I think I know of someone capable of that horrible evil. he goes to another Christian message board (ChristianBBS).

It makes me so :mad: that these creeps are all around and that there is absolutely NOTHING we can do about it.

It makes me even more :mad: that no laws exist against garbage that inspires/encourages such vile actions. (Those who have ears, let them hear)

I would be very careful Susan, the poster on the other board has done nothing illegal, he just happens to like something you do not, I have been part of that conversation with you and him. He is not a pedophile & for you to link that thread with this is to suggest he is, that, my dear,  is legally actionable!

Kiwimac

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,218.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Originally posted by psycmajor
I don't see what is so bad about punishing someone. It prevents them from hurting others, and it's supposed to teach them that it is WRONG and unacceptable in society.

Assuming that they are guilty, of course.

And there is the rub, for we cannot know whether they are guilty of anything or not without them standing trial and that does not always work.

There was a case a little while ago in which a child (now an adult) retracted several accusations she had made against a man because they were made at a time & place when she was deeply angry with him. Doesn't matter though, his reputation and name are ruined!

kiwimac

Upvote 0