✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I hope this is a good 'un.

I'm a little sorry I missed the announcement until the parties were already set. I'm not one for formal debates, but I might have thrown my hat in the ring, and an Ana v essentialsaltes debate on this topic would have been interesting, I think.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
proxy.php

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I hope this is a good 'un.

I'm a little sorry I missed the announcement until the parties were already set. I'm not one for formal debates, but I might have thrown my hat in the ring, and an Ana v essentialsaltes debate on this topic would have been interesting, I think.

Really? You would take the pro position? That would be interesting.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why? You can believe that there was a historical person named Jesus of Nazareth without believing that he is God or a prophetic figure.

Sure. That's not what would make such a debate interesting. Rather, it would be interesting to see how he interprets the available information to come to that conclusion. What does he accept as confirming evidence? What does he reject? How does he approach a fellow atheist who doesn't accept that information? How do their assumptions and definitions differ such that they are coming to different conclusions?

In a debate between a believer and an unbeliever the elephant in the room is bias. One side often accuses the other of accepting evidence a posteriori ... "You accept that evidence because you're already religious" or "You reject that evidence because you're already an atheist". Then the retort is, "No I believe (or don't believe) because of the evidence."

It would be much more difficult to make that kind of rhetoric stick when the discussion occurs between 2 atheists.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Sure. That's not what would make such a debate interesting. Rather, it would be interesting to see how he interprets the available information to come to that conclusion. What does he accept as confirming evidence? What does he reject? How does he approach a fellow atheist who doesn't accept that information? How do their assumptions and definitions differ such that they are coming to different conclusions?

In a debate between a believer and an unbeliever the elephant in the room is bias. One side often accuses the other of accepting evidence a posteriori ... "You accept that evidence because you're already religious" or "You reject that evidence because you're already an atheist". Then the retort is, "No I believe (or don't believe) because of the evidence."

It would be much more difficult to make that kind of rhetoric stick when the discussion occurs between 2 atheists.
Very true. That would have been pretty interesting to see.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In debates on this subject we learn more about all the circumstantial evidence available. One piece that I find interesting is found in the Jerusalem Talmud. In (Abodah Zarah 2.2) and in a different passage (Hullin 2.22-23) We learn from Jewish writers that the miracles from Pentecost had still been on going.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saverio

Aug 5, 2015
Williamsburg, VA
✟2,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why? You can believe that there was a historical person named Jesus of Nazareth without believing that he is God or a prophetic figure.

But then that would make Jesus a liar because he claimed he is the Son of God.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
But then that would make Jesus a liar because he claimed he is the Son of God.

Yeah, so?

(Actually, of course, he is only reported to have said that, and mainly by John.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lol that's a vague critique...it's the opening statement. What exactly were you expecting?

I suppose going second has its negatives, but I would think going first is hardest. And the limited number of rounds makes these debates difficult - you have to be spot on. So I can appreciate the challenges, but it's as if you didn't know what you wanted that first post to be. As a result you bounced around between several different approaches without really establishing any of them, and then it appeared to me to devolve into circular arguments and contradictions.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose going second has its negatives, but I would think going first is hardest. And the limited number of rounds makes these debates difficult - you have to be spot on. So I can appreciate the challenges, but it's as if you didn't know what you wanted that first post to be. As a result you bounced around between several different approaches without really establishing any of them, and then it appeared to me to devolve into circular arguments and contradictions.

Well, obviously I don't see the circular arguments or contradictions...but we'll find out soon enough how effective my opening statement was.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Well, anonymous has wasted a round. Nothing substantive, and the only question asked of Ana was already answered in Ana's post:

You'll find mention of Jesus from different historians like Tacitus, Suetonius, Josephus and others. What do these men have to say about the real Jesus? Nothing. None of these figures ever met Jesus, nor did they meet anyone who met Jesus, nor did they live when Jesus was alive. The passages where they mention Jesus are of this sort...

"There's a group of people called christians who follow a man named Jesus."

You can deny it, refute it, explain it away... but it doesn't do much good to ask your opponent to repeat it for you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.