Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One GPS failure and all lives saved in comparison will fade quickly in one day's time. Imagine millions of trucks on the road loosing their GPS signal at the same moment... Better pray that they do not robotize EMS vehicles in that scenario.
Alternatively imagine our entire power grid going down due to an EMP pulse with millions lacking food within a matter of days and the transportation infrastructure not coming back on line prior to near nation wide civil disorder similar to New Orleans after Katrina. Point being that out current technology is just as vulnerable yet as I said we are not prohibiting its use or advancement due to very unlike acts of war.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Even when it means more dead and maimed people who could have avoided that fate were self driving technology not prohibited?
I'd like to know there's a person driving that car that is racing towards me. He will not want to hit me. A machine won't care.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to know there's a person driving that car that is racing towards me. He will not want to hit me. A machine won't care.
The machine would avoid the collision at a higher rate then the human will. How many lives are your preferences worth?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The machine would avoid the collision at a higher rate then the human will. How many lives are your preferences worth?
A person will think, "I don't want to hit that car coming towards me." A machine thinks, "0011011100010010010."

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A person will think, "I don't want to hit that car coming towards me." A machine thinks, "0011011100010010010."
Roughly translated to "avoid collision" while making the adjustments to do so at rates even highly trained human drivers could not achieve.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
A person can make a mistake because he's tired or distracted. A machine won't. Also why would a machine want to hit another car? It would mean it can't complete it's duty.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Roughly translated to "avoid collision" while making the adjustments to do so at rates even highly trained human drivers could not achieve.
Well, a person would prioritize wanting to avoid hitting the car coming towards him. A machine can't prioritize - it has to obey its program.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, a person would prioritize wanting to avoid hitting the car coming towards him. A machine can't prioritize - it has to obey its program.
Which would include not getting into collision and be able to avoid doing so much more efficiently then humans can due to it not being tired, distracted, emotional or limited by the speed at which humans can perceive or react.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Which includes the ability to prioritize.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am not convinced that their was a deity involved so quibbling over what its intentions were/are is putting the cart well before the horse.
Only God can convince. I wonder why He is avoiding you.....

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alternatively imagine our entire power grid going down due to an EMP pulse with millions lacking food within a matter of days and the transportation infrastructure not coming back on line prior to near nation wide civil disorder similar to New Orleans after Katrina. Point being that out current technology is just as vulnerable yet as I said we are not prohibiting its use or advancement due to very unlike acts of war.
What if driving off road would be the only feasible means for survival? I would not want a robot car.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Any business owner would know that was fake news.

Oh boy, you’ve really swallowed the pill, haven’t you...?

So, the government’s own departments of labour and bureau of statistics are deliberately constructing false data...?? Is that the dream you cling to...?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What if driving off road would be the only feasible means for survival? I would not want a robot car.
If driving off the road was the only feasible means of survival then that's what would have to be done, whether you were driving your car or a robot was driving it.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oh boy, you’ve really swallowed the pill, haven’t you...?

So, the government’s own departments of labour and bureau of statistics are deliberately constructing false data...?? Is that the dream you cling to...?
It's the "Deep State" at work again. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A sound reason to not purchase one personal but I don't see the link between that and prohibition on the technology.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Which would include not getting into collision and be able to avoid doing so much more efficiently then humans can due to it not being tired, distracted, emotional or limited by the speed at which humans can perceive or react.
Yes, ONE of the program's priorities would be avoiding other vehicles, but if I saw a car coming right at me, my ONLY priority would avoiding that car.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, ONE of the program's priorities would be avoiding other vehicles, but if I saw a car coming right at me, my ONLY priority would avoiding that car.
After having perceived the hazard well after a self driving car would have and reacting to it at a fraction of the rate.

Upvote 0