✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Snake Eyes, Black Widow Tank Huge At Box Office

I notice recently many movies try to correct what they perceived as culturally insensitive. But at the same time doing just exactly that. Take G.I Joe's new spin-off movie Snake Eyes, played by a non-East Asian. Snake Eyes in the original was white as in stereotypically pale and blond. They made him Asian in this because I read it is to be more culturally sensitive. Then why cast a half British half Iban (native of Borneo)? Is it because the skin color matches? It is nearly as bad as casting a Korean as Storm Shadow in the original movies. You know full well Japan & Korea have bad blood. And they don't have the same cultural identity.

Let me be very clear, Snake Eyes is a silent shinobi that happens to be a white man. This story was such and should be such. Don't patronized us with cultural sensitivity and at the same time stereotype us as "you Asians look alike" therefore it is fine with casting a non-Japanese into a Japanese cultural character. Let Snake Eyes be white. Us Asians in Asia don't care if he is white. But don't con us with cultural sensitivity when you can hardly tell us or our cultures apart.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I know I won't be satisfied till all Ginger characters are replaced by People of colour and Frodo and Sam are made officially gay in the Amazon LOTR series.

The Uruk & Goblins are people too, portraying them as savages is a harmful stereotype.

*Even typing it in sarcasm fills me with cringe*

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Snake Eyes, Black Widow Tank Huge At Box Office

I notice recently many movies try to correct what they perceived as culturally insensitive. But at the same time doing just exactly that. Take G.I Joe's new spin-off movie Snake Eyes, played by a non-East Asian. Snake Eyes in the original was white as in stereotypically pale and blond. They made him Asian in this because I read it is to be more culturally sensitive. Then why cast a half British half Iban (native of Borneo)? Is it because the skin color matches? It is nearly as bad as casting a Korean as Storm Shadow in the original movies. You know full well Japan & Korea have bad blood. And they don't have the same cultural identity.

Let me be very clear, Snake Eyes is a silent shinobi that happens to be a white man. This story was such and should be such. Don't patronized us with cultural sensitivity and at the same time stereotype us as "you Asians look alike" therefore it is fine with casting a non-Japanese into a Japanese cultural character. Let Snake Eyes be white. Us Asians in Asia don't care if he is white. But don't con us with cultural sensitivity when you can hardly tell us or our cultures apart.
Trust me, if I had any input on writing or casting in Hollywood, there wouldn't be nearly as much of this.

Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I know I won't be satisfied till all Ginger characters are replaced by People of colour and Frodo and Sam are made officially gay in the Amazon LOTR series.
I'm ginger and this stuff is actually pretty sad to see. We make up, what, 3% or something of all humans? The true minority. :[

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
“Movie Gets ‘Stuff’ Wrong” is a thriving industry, I’ll grant you, and you should make it your goal to set Hollywood straight!
But…fictional characters don’t care what “race” they are (unless it’s part of their tortured backstory, Disney had a fox play Robin Hood)!

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
“Movie Gets ‘Stuff’ Wrong” is a thriving industry, I’ll grant you, and you should make it your goal to set Hollywood straight!
But…fictional characters don’t care what “race” they are (unless it’s part of their tortured backstory, Disney had a fox play Robin Hood)!

I have no issue with movies "getting stuff wrong". But it was done with the wrong reasons to begin with. And you'll know why it was done in the first place. All in the name of some perceived "injustice" towards a group of people who didn't ask for the help.

On top of the sanctimonious savior complex, they get it horribly wrong. If you want to right a wrong at least study who the people you're trying to save are. That's why everything they do have worst implications than not doing it at all. Because it is only for self glorification not for the actual people. They could care less and it is evident they can't tell which Asian belongs to which culture. An Asian is like any other Asian.

BTW I like it more when Snake Eyes is a gaijin and mute. It brings up better storyline as an outsider being assimilated into the culture and ultimately being treated as one of the group.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Is that why Aladdin was race washed to become a generic Middle Eastern guy? And the story locations washed to a Middle Eastern/Persian like setting? What happened to it's Chinese and north African roots?

Oh I heard the new Disney little Mermaid is getting blackwashed. Erased of its Scandinavian roots. The hollywood progressive have a saying for this... cultural appropriation. But then again it is the hollywood progressive that like to fix all these cultural injustices.

Oh Disney Snow White is also having some race washing... I think its Germanic roots is getting some makeover.

There is a difference between homage and outright erasure. It is intent and it is no secret what the intent is. The actors can't seem to stop talking about it. I watched a proper homage to Snow White in the form of a cartoon. I can't recall the name. The setting was changed to Native American and the name their main character White Snow along with all others having Native American names.

Reactions: Sodafox
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a friend who is the star of one of these superhero movies. He says that they don't put all that much thought into these things as people think and that they don't care nearly as much as people think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
On top of the sanctimonious savior complex, they get it horribly wrong. If you want to right a wrong at least study who the people you're trying to save are.

My biggest problem is taking existing stories and changing pre-established characters. (Btw, turning Robin Hood into a fox for a kid's movie seems totally acceptable to me) I love movies like Coco and Moana that explore a culture I'm not as familiar with. I'm sure there are plenty of stories out there. But wait, that would take effort and, gasp, maybe even building an actual connection and/or require putting someone in a decision making role who is from that culture.

Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who is the star of one of these superhero movies. He says that they don't put all that much thought into these things as people think and that they don't care nearly as much as people think.
Nice to see my suspicion confirmed.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
My biggest problem is taking existing stories and changing pre-established characters.

I love stories that are rich in cultural elements. When I read a Scandinavian story I imagine blond hair blue eyes and the clothes they wear. I picture the landscape of that inspired the story. Same as when I read an Arabian story or a Persian one. It is a sad day that race and ethnicity are thrown out from the stories they inspired.

The modern idea that everyone is entitled to highjack a story and remove elements of its culture is sickening. The idea it is done to be more inclusive and cultural sensitive is even worst.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I suspected not much thought or care goes into most modern movies.
LOL, I know, I was just joking with you.... There is a lot of thought and care going into modern movies but it's not on the things that people think it's on. It's more focused on $$$$ than anything else. It's a very lucrative business. Especially superhero movies.

The OP of this thread has fabricated a strange conspiracy theory of his own surrounding the choice of the race of a character. He'd be disappointed to learn that the reality is far more mundane than his musings about it. But the movie's producers would be thrilled to know that there are fans who are that incredibly interested in spending that much time analyzing and thinking about the movie - they see that as great for business. It's definitely free publicity, courtesy of the OP.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But the movie's producers would be thrilled to know that there are fans who are that incredibly interested in spending that much time analyzing and thinking about the movie - they see that as great for business. It's definitely free publicity, courtesy of the OP.

Interesting take and I can definitely see how that works. I don't consume much modern media myself but I can definitely see how this would fuel people to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Even if it's not the movie itself I'm sure they have ways to monetize ads on Youtube (or other sites) from videos or articles criticizing the piece.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,452.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The OP of this thread has fabricated a strange conspiracy theory of his own surrounding the choice of the race of a character. He'd be disappointed to learn that the reality is far more mundane than his musings about it. But the movie's producers would be thrilled to know that there are fans who are that incredibly interested in spending that much time analyzing and thinking about the movie - they see that as great for business. It's definitely free publicity, courtesy of the OP.

Ah yes fabricated conspiracy theory. It is not like the star didn't outright said it. I'm sure that a producer who love money is pleased with the box office numbers. And before you use the tired excuse of the pandemic. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train wipe the floor with the American movies, all while being in theaters during the pandemic.

By all means call me a tin foil wearing freak. Not all free publicity is good publicity. You may call Blizzard Entertainment as reference.

BTW I'm not even a fan of G.I Joe. I didn't watch the first 2 movies either. Nor have I buy any of their toys. I happen to read up.

Henry Golding Calls Critics of His ‘Snake Eyes’ Casting “Toxic” – The Hollywood Reporter

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah yes fabricated conspiracy theory. It is not like the star didn't outright said it.
Where did the star outright state your conspiracy theory? The star acknowledged that the character's race was changed, but your theory has "PC" motivations and so forth - where's the star stating all that? And of course the star will be happy to draw attention to his movie - he wants to sell it, to make money!

I'm sure that a producer who love money is pleased with the box office numbers. And before you use the tired excuse of the pandemic. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train wipe the floor with the American movies, all while being in theaters during the pandemic.
I'm not sure what your point is here... You seem to have me confused with someone who was arguing that this movie was a box office blockbuster. I don't know what I've said that you're arguing against here.

By all means call me a tin foil wearing freak.
Why would you want to be called that? All I said is that your OP is pushing a conspiracy theory, that doesn't make you a "freak". Makes you wrong, perhaps, but "freak" is a very strong and derisive word.

Not all free publicity is good publicity. You may call Blizzard Entertainment as reference.
In show business, the maxim most adhere to is PT Barnum's "There's no such thing as bad publicity." A close second is Oscar Wilde's "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

You say this movie was a stinker in the box office... So the producers and those involved with wanting to see success have two options: Slink away quietly and let the stinker stink and fade away, or encourage ANY talk about it, ANY publicity, even negative, and that will translate into however many more views/sales/profits as it may.

BTW I'm not even a fan of G.I Joe. I didn't watch the first 2 movies either. Nor have I buy any of their toys. I happen to read up.

Henry Golding Calls Critics of His ‘Snake Eyes’ Casting “Toxic” – The Hollywood Reporter
I totally believe you. I never intimated that you were a big fan of G.I. Joe so again you seem to be arguing against what you imagine I said or am thinking, but that's all in your mind and not factual.

The way I see it is you are attracted to this story for its political/race-baiting angle. For this reason you felt it was worth your time and effort to bring publicity to this movie and franchise.

You may not care for the movie or the toys but you are definitely helping them with some free publicity. This can only mean more views and hits for them on the internet, which translates to interest, which translates to some interested parties seeking it out to rent or buy, or to buy the toys for their collections, or to promote it further to others. I know my friend loves any talk about his movie, even the negative (although his was a hit, so not much negative, but he likes it all).

The real story here is that people are using a fictional story about fictional characters that were created as comic book characters for children to promote their politics and race-baiting and by doing so they are promoting it further, unwittingly, without a clue.

I mean, you're arguing about a fictional character's race! He's FICTIONAL. He has whatever race a creator of the fiction gives him. Even IF his race mattered, it is another facet of a fake, made-up character. Who honestly cares? Well, they do a good job in Hollywood of getting people to care about fake things as if they're real - this entire thread is proof of that.

What IS real is the industry behind this and their amazing talent for generating buzz, attention, interest, and more money out of a box office stinker. It's...it's almost as if Hollywood has done this before, like they know what they're doing...hmmmm..... LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I’m a little surprised at that - or skeptical of it. I don’t question the claim that they don’t put the degree of attention on it that some think, e.g. outside of specific characters where this sort of thing matters, it’s probably rare to say “this specific supporting role needs to be filled by a black lesbian, or an asian trans woman, etc”. But I’ve been involved on the casting for a few games and it’s not uncommon to hear something to the effect of “we probably shouldn’t have this cast be entirely white European men.” IOW, a single role could be given to anybody, but the entire mix should be somewhat diverse.

Call it cynical or whatever, but some audience members really get into seeing different backgrounds represented on screen, especially when that background becomes part of the character’s story and it’s handled in an interesting and respectful way.

Upvote 0