Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
PBS looks at homosexuality in devout families

<A id=link name=link>Associated Press(USA), Aug. 26, 2003
http://www.tribnet.com

By LYNN ELBER, The Associated Press
In this summer of lighthearted gay-themed programming, a new PBS documentary is a reminder of how disconnected glossy TV images can be from real life.

"Family Fundamentals," from filmmaker Arthur Dong, is an intimate look at homosexual children and their devout parents. It debuts at 10 tonight on Channel 9.

Dong's film records the heartache of people trying to reconcile familial love and their beliefs.

"The Bible is, and says, that homosexuality is a sin, and it's wrong," one mother says in the film. "It's a destructive behavior and will not bring happiness. ... You can't argue with that."

"It's really hard to change their point of view. Almost as hard as changing my point of view," says a gay son.

"Family Fundamentals" intercuts three stories: a man estranged from his Mormon family; a Pentecostal woman faith and her homosexual daughter and grandson; and a gay man who was a longtime aide and surrogate son to former U.S. Rep. Robert Dornan (R-Calif.). News stories about prominent conservatives who have homosexual children piqued Dong's interest in making "Family Fundamentals."

The film reels off examples, including Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is lesbian; and conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly, with a gay son.

Dong cites the example of California state Sen. Pete Knight, a Republican who helped strengthen the state's ban on gay marriage. Knight has a gay son and a brother who died of AIDS.

"I found that such a strange paradox," Dong said. "What must Thanksgiving dinner be like for this family?"

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I watched this show the other night - and I really tend to ignore PBS anymore due to their unbelievably PC slant to everything. And guess what? I thought it was very well done.

Let's face it - it's a problem for many families. The one family was actually Methodist, though Dong made them seem very pentacostal. Their daughter and grandson were very sad about the break with their mother/grandmother. The mormon family would not come on camera. They keep in contact with their son but he ducks their prothelitizing (sp?) and the story of the aide was sad also. I had more sympathy than I thought I would (Oh Lord, their propaganda is working :eek:

A good and reasonably balanced view of the problem - no blame placed on the families which was a change and a relief.

Upvote 0