PBS keeps 'King Lear' nude decision under wraps

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Ian McKellen's acclaimed performance in "King Lear" is coming to PBS, but a public TV executive was coy Saturday about whether his on-stage nude scene will be exposed on air.

PBS President and CEO Paula Kerger, who saw the play during its brief run in New York, said she was impressed by the production and recalled thinking, "This is the kind of thing people should have a chance to see."

So what did Kerger personally think of the nude scene with McKellen?

"It's powerful. His entire performance is quite powerful," she said.

The Royal Shakespeare Company's production, directed by Trevor Nunn, ran at Brooklyn Academy of Music's Harvey Theater last fall.

The 69-year-old McKellen's performance as Lear was lauded by The Associated Press for "expertly capturing the man's physical and mental decline."
source
Q: Is "for the sake of the art" enough to overcome any objection to such an uncensored airing?

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
The man is 69. If a naked 69 year old man, or the number of his age, titilates you, I would encourage you to check out National Geographic with some 3rd graders.

I don't understand why Leer is supposed to be naked, but I saw a scene with Ofelia near nude, and her insanity was more pronounced.

As an art student, I saw plenty of naked men and women. If you are mature enough, you can actually see it without the sexual context. In fact, I was surprised when I would concentrate so hard that I could have been drawing a vase.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
I don't understand why Leer is supposed to be naked, but I saw a scene with Ofelia near nude, and her insanity was more pronounced.
It appears to be more than just a matter of how pronounced the insanity is.

Some thoughts on the portrayal.
In 1968 Eric Porter of the Royal Shakespeare Company created a sensation when as King Lear he stripped to his underwear at the climactic line: "Off, off, you lendings!" It seemed a bit much for a scene that had traditionally been played with only a gesture at disrobing. Porter set a new standard, but not until 1997 did an actor go all the way and stand fully naked in the storm. That actor was Ian Holm, whose moment of total exposure in the Royal National Theatre production . . . seemed just the thing that an insane old monarch would do. Shakespeare probably never intended the action to be taken so far, but Holm made it completely believable.
source

Which other actor would strip naked in the heath scene? Well, Sir Ian Holm (who did it first in Richard Eyre’s 1998 production of King Lear at the National Theatre). Is it necessary for either of these theatrical knights to show us their wee-wees? Only if you take “unaccommodated man” literally. In this tragedy of renunciation and unraveling, the Lear who’s lost in the wilderness is stripped naked of all power and illusion. Even so, I thought Mr. McKellen’s nude moment, though not essential, worked effectively because in the midst of Lear’s pitiful befuddlement of uncomprehending, wrecked old age he returned the fallen king to innocent childhood.
source

Theatregoers should brace themselves when Sir Ian McKellen takes to the stage as King Lear next week.

For the actor's performance at the Royal Shakespeare Company comes with a warning.

Some audience members attending a preview were reportedly shocked when, as the tragic King teetering on the brink of madness, Sir Ian, 67, unexpectedly stripped naked on stage at the Courtyard Theatre in Stratford-on-Avon.

Now the RSC is to post notices in the theatre's foyer alerting more sensitive audience members to the nudity, but insisting there were no plans to get The Lord of the Rings star to cover up.

Sir Ian tears off his clothes in the "storm scene" as a disturbed Lear says: "Off, off you lendings! [clothes]. Come unbutton here."

The RSC said it was mystified as to why some should find his portrayal shocking.

A spokesman said: "The nudity takes place in the storm scene where Lear is going mad and is a very moving part in the play." However, they do intend to warn school groups in advance when the play opens on April 3.

Charles Spencer, theatre critic of The Daily Telegraph said: "When Holm did it, it was stunning in its effect".

"It is entirely right and appropriate, and people who are shocked should get a life, really.

"It is absolutely contextual. As Lear says 'Off, off you lendings', the stage directions say 'tears off his clothes'.

"It is entirely justified. This is a man on the very brink of madness."
source

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Ian McKellen's acclaimed performance in "King Lear" is coming to PBS, but a public TV executive was coy Saturday about whether his on-stage nude scene will be exposed on air.

PBS President and CEO Paula Kerger, who saw the play during its brief run in New York, said she was impressed by the production and recalled thinking, "This is the kind of thing people should have a chance to see."

The Royal Shakespeare Company's production, directed by Trevor Nunn, ran at Brooklyn Academy of Music's Harvey Theater last fall.

The 69-year-old McKellen's performance as Lear was lauded by The Associated Press for "expertly capturing the man's physical and mental decline."
source
Q: Is "for the sake of the art" enough to overcome any objection to such an uncensored airing?

As long as it's broadcast post-watershed and with a "some scenes may offend" warning beforehand, I don't see why there should be any problem.

As ever with such things - if you don't like the idea, you don't have to watch it.

David.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's completely justified, as far as I'm concerned. Reviews have made it pretty clear that the nudity is not gratuitous and is effective in context.

Mind you, I don't think nudity is anything to be scared of anyway.

Reactions: Aerika
Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't understand people who get so worked up about it. I just see nudity as perfectly natural and think that people should be comfortable with their bodies. I agree on the "may offend some viewers" line being added, simply because there are always some who will be offended.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
But, but, but, TEH CHILDRENS!
Ah yes, the children

tvc.png

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When is it airing? I need to set up the DVR. I think it will be awesome!

King Lear is inappropriate enough for children middle-yeared enough to be shocked by nudity that I would think this a non-issue.

How graphic is the eye-gouging scene?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

source

If it is "powerful," it is so without nudity and not because of it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums