LDS Pay the voluntary tithe to escape the fire?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The tithe is God’s law for His children, yet the payment is entirely voluntary. In this respect it does not differ from the law of the Sabbath or from any other of His laws. We may refuse to obey any or all of them. Our obedience is voluntary, but our refusal to pay does not abrogate or repeal the law...

The payment of tithing strengthens faith, increases spirituality and spiritual capacity, and solidifies testimony. It gives the satisfaction of knowing one is complying with the will of the Lord. It brings the blessings that come from sharing with others through the purposes for which tithing is used. We cannot afford to deny ourselves these blessings. We cannot afford not to pay our tithing. We have a definite relationship to the future as well as to the present. What we give, and how we give, and the way we meet our obligations to the Lord has eternal significance.

A testimony of the law of tithing comes from living it. Like all other of God’s laws, when we live them we receive the blessings.

Howard W. Hunter(1907-95), Ensign, March 2013

D&C 64
23 Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming.

This is not to encourage non-Mormons to be stingy in their giving! Remember the widow's mite.

The question is do Mormons want to escape the fire?

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i don't know about what the Mormon's think about tithing, but i can tell you from experience that it does work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean? Are Catholics instructed to tithe?
not specifically, but they have the use of the whole Bible, just like anyone else.
as for myself, i have 20+ years of tithing experience that began with .02 cents, which was all i had left to put into the offering plate one Sunday.

There was a time when I heard a missionary to Russia speak in our church and desired to contribute, but had nothing to give. I prayed and asked God to give me a second chance to exercize my faith in Him as my provider, and He graciously did so. Over and over again.

Little by little as i gave He showed Himself faithful.

Today i do tithe to my Church, but that is only the beginning.
Were i to lay out the full extent of that giving you would be embarassed, and then resentful, which is not condusive to learning the lesson of the tithe.

Suffice to say that God is the best money manager that I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
not specifically, but they have the use of the whole Bible, just like anyone else.
as for myself, i have 20+ years of tithing experience that began with .02 cents, which was all i had left to put into the offering plate one Sunday.

There was a time when I heard a missionary to Russia speak in our church and desired to contribute, but had nothing to give. I prayed and asked God to give me a second chance to exercize my faith in Him as my provider, and He graciously did so. Over and over again.

Little by little as i gave He showed Himself faithful.

Today i do tithe to my Church, but that is only the beginning.
Were i to lay out the full extent of that giving you would be embarassed, and then resentful, which is not condusive to learning the lesson of the tithe.

Suffice to say that God is the best money manager that I have ever seen.
I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say tithing "works"... What does that mean? Works how? It is a commandment that we are no longer bound to. Are you saying it "works" in the sense that it is a good way to purchase blessings from God, as the mormons believe? (Are they really "blessings" if you're paying for them, anyway?)

Your anecdotes don't make it clear to me what you're trying to say - can you elaborate, please? Are you trying to say God is only a provider to those who tithe? The Bible says otherwise.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say tithing "works"... What does that mean? Works how? It is a commandment that we are no longer bound to. Are you saying it "works" in the sense that it is a good way to purchase blessings from God, as the mormons believe? (Are they really "blessings" if you're paying for them, anyway?)

Your anecdotes don't make it clear to me what you're trying to say - can you elaborate, please? Are you trying to say God is only a provider to those who tithe? The Bible says otherwise.

tithing is one way to honor God--not the only way.
tithing is also a way of organizing what He provides
tithing is a good way to develop our trust in God as well as our reliance on Him
and lastly it's a good way to learn to hold your money loosely and not with a tight fist, so it also teaches generosity.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Old Testament tithing system

1. The Levitical, or sacred tithe:

Numbers 18
20 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel.
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

2. The tithe of the feasts:
Deuteronomy 14
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:

25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

3. The tithe for the poor:
Deuteronomy 14
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

I think we can give more than 10% of our income. We give to the church and we can help support a child (or children) in a third world country, for instance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
tithing is one way to honor God--not the only way.
tithing is also a way of organizing what He provides
tithing is a good way to develop our trust in God as well as our reliance on Him
and lastly it's a good way to learn to hold your money loosely and not with a tight fist, so it also teaches generosity.
None of this explains what you said earlier, e.g. getting a "second chance over and over" (for what????). Also, tithing wouldn't be giving to a Russian missionary - tithing is a commandment from the Old Testament and has certain rules. See what Phoebe posted. It sounds like you are talking about giving, not tithing. And your comments are still very vague.

Do you believe that tithing is a quid pro quo, as the mormons do, in that when you tithe you receive in exchange, "blessings"?? Or that God provides in return for your tithes? Is it a transaction like a purchase? Because that's how you seem to present it as "working" for you. I disagree and I think that when people view tithing as a money-making transaction they are gravely offending God.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The Old Testament tithing system

1. The Levitical, or sacred tithe:

Numbers 18
20 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel.
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

2. The tithe of the feasts:
Deuteronomy 14
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:

25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

3. The tithe for the poor:
Deuteronomy 14
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

I think we can give more than 10% of our income. We give to the church and we can help support a child (or children) in a third world country, for instance.

of course we can and many do--I'm one who does.
the problem is that there are (unfortunately) stingy christians out there who see God's gift to them as their just rewards. And because they see money as a just reward they aren't going to let go of it.
and that's sad.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
of course we can and many do--I'm one who does.
the problem is that there are (unfortunately) stingy christians out there who see God's gift to them as their just rewards. And because they see money as a just reward they aren't going to let go of it.
and that's sad.

Do you see this as a greater problem than disobedience to Christ's commandments? I've never heard a Christian say, "I deserve what God gives me."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Do you see this as greater problem than disobedience to Christ's commandments? I've never heard a Christian say, "I deserve what God gives me."
it is part of the self-satisfied reasoning that they will imply if they are bragging--and also if they are determined to hold on to "their" money that "they" made "all by themselves". sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
He didn't bully anyone. What's wrong?
:doh:
a 'bully pulpit" is when someone takes something that is said out of context, distorts the meaning for their own purpose, and then uses it to bash others with.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormons claim that tithing is voluntary, but don't inform their new members that they will be burned when Christ returns if they don't pay it.

D&C 64
23 Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
:doh:
a 'bully pulpit" is when someone takes something that is said out of context, distorts the meaning for their own purpose, and then uses it to bash others with.

That didn't happen.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Mormons claim that tithing is voluntary, but don't inform their new members that they will be burned when Christ returns if they don't pay it.

and that's on them for teaching what is false for their own benefit.
but that is not the purpose of tithing and it never was the purpose of tithing.

so let's try one more time.
the purpose of tithing is three fold:
1. to provide for the church and those who work in the church a decent living so that they may fully dedicate their time and effort to God's work and God's people.

2. to teach the proper use of money; what it is for, and that God is the one who provides.

when people understand points 1 and 2 above, then and only then are they ready for point #3.

3. tithing is a gift given with love and devotion to God--never a payment in expectation of receiving something back.

people who understand that know that tithing is only a beginning point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Little bit of logic here.

Tithing is a Biblical commandment.

What happens when people violate the commandments?
It was a command to Israel.

Upvote 0