United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Again, I Say Rejoice!
Phil 4:1-7
[... snipped]
I urge Euodia and Syntyche to be in harmony in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, true companion,to help these women—they labored side by side with me in spreading the Good News, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life. (V 2-3)

There were two women who had been working alongside each other and had also worked alongside Paul, as well as Clement and others and something happened that caused the two women to have a huge and public argument. If Paul, being in prison in Jerusalem had heard about their fighting, a great many others had heard about it too. Paul urges another person who was mature to help these two woman do what they needed to do to stop the arguing.

They, as we, are encouraged to work together in harmony. We can disagree with each other but when they reach the proportions that it had reached in Philippi we need to come together to seek the Lord's face and in all ways possible come to an agreement and stop fighting. It's not glorifying to Yeshua to bite and devour one another.
[snipped ...]

The fighting, debating, arguing, etc. ...

Yes, I am convinced, we find the unity Christ desires for His body (John 17:21) when we take our eyes off of ourselves, and each other, and instead ... fix our eyes on Jesus.

p.s.
I 'stumbled upon' this video this week.
I think it does a wonderful job, of fixing ones eyes on Jesus:heart: ...

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Think On These Things
Phil 4:8-9

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any virtue and if there is anything worthy of praise—dwell on these things. (V 8)

• “Let’s face it,” Billy Graham wrote. “In the course of a day, all sorts of thoughts lodge themselves in our minds—some good, some not so good. Those thoughts can, in turn, give birth to all sorts of worries and anxieties; they may even lead us to do things that are wrong or destructive.”

"Whatever is true". Whatever is reality or fact. Not false.

"Whatever is honorable" Whatever is worthy of honor and high respect.

"Whatever is just". Guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness.

"Whatever is pure" Free from foreign or inappropriate elements.

"Whatever is lovely" Delightful; highly pleasing in beauty, harmony, or grace.

"Whatever is commendable". Worthy of praise.

Anything of virtue and anything worthy of praise, think on these things, not the things that take our minds or our bodies to places they should not be. We are to have the mind of Christ.

What is the mind of Christ?
What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—put these things into practice, and the God of shalom will be with you. (V 9)

Everything that Paul has taught them and now us, and the way we've seen him act, we are to put them into practice in our own lives. Don't apply it to everyone else, apply it to yourself. By doing this the God of shalom (peace) will be with us.

• The Bible says Christians have the ability to “take every thought captive to obey Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5). In other words, your thoughts don’t have to be random, and they don’t have to control you. With practice and God’s help, you can control your thoughts. ~Billy Graham Evangelical Association~

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Secret of Contentment
Phil 4:10-13

"I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me (though you were concerned before but lacked opportunity to show it)". (V 10)

Paul is telling them that he's happy that they are now able to give to him and show their care in a tangible way. He understands that they've always cared for him but had not had the opportunity to do so.

There could have been many reasons why they had been unable. We know that Paul received their gift via Ephraditus bringing it to him in jail in Rome.

iu

Philippi to Rome is 1311 km. That is 814.6176 miles. Ephraditus most likely travelled by foot. To cross the Adriadic Sea he probaly got on a ship, then from there on foot again. Maybe there was another means of transportation, horse, chariot, etc. used, but we don't know. It quite likely took him weeks to get to Paul. We don't know if he was alone or with a group. With him he had the "care-package" for Paul, plus items for his own needs. Maybe a change of clothes and some food.

It could have taken them several months to gather together all the items in the care package. Maybe the Philippians were able to only give as they had to give. We can't give what we don't have. If there were blankets and coats, etc., it took time for the people to make them and while making them they also had to take care of their own families so it may have taken them awhile.

We need to consider these things when people know we are in need but they don't meet that need immediately...or maybe even never. People can only give as they are able. Plus, we should not guilt people into giving, to us or anybody else.
I am not saying this because I am in need—for whatever circumstance I am in, I have learned to be content. (V 11)

He's not telling them this because he needs anything but letting them know that whatever his circumstance is, he is content in it.

I think we all probably need to learn that. Many are laid off from work right now, and some have lost their businesses and have no idea how they are going to pay for the bills and put food on the table. Fear and anxiety are understandable but Paul tells us to rejoice.

Imagine Paul, in prison, in chains.

This circumstance in itself imposes considerable stress. In his correspondence, he refers to himself as “the prisoner of Christ” (Eph. 3:1) or “the prisoner of the Lord” (Eph. 4:1), who is an “ambassador in chains” (Eph. 6:20). Chains were commonly viewed as an object of shame (cf. 2 Tim. 1:16). Note the multiple references to his “bonds” or to his state as a “prisoner” (Phil. 1:7, 13, 14, 17; Col. 4:18; Phile. 1, 9, 23). ~Christian Courier~
I know what it is to live with humble means, and I know what it is to live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment—both to be filled and to go hungry, to have abundance and to suffer need. (V 12)

Paul knows how to live as a poor person and he knows how to live as a rich person. I'm thinking, since he'd said in proclaiming Yeshua as Messiah that he'd "lost it all" the rich person part was before he came to Yeshua (Phil 3:8). Saul, also known as Paul was a well extaplisheed and highly regarded Pharisee. I think he was very well off and that money was no problem for him.

He's lost everything, but he is content with what he has, which at the moment is nothing. He does not enjoy being in prison, but his "joy in Yeshua" has nothing to do with "things" or "riches". If he goes hungry, he goes hungry. He will still rejoice in the Lord. He does not complain. He's not going on the Facebook of his day and complaining how "people claim to be believers and not a one of them are making sure my needs in prison are met". His needs are met via God alone. In testing where we put our faith, God often will make us wait a little while. Paul had needs but God did not let him starve or freeze to death.
"I can do all things through Messiah who strengthens (V 13)

It's important to note that when Paul makes this statement he's talking about being content with our station in life, whether we are rich or poor, well fed or in need of food. Either one is ok with him. He can survive any situation whether he has food/money/clothes or not.

It's not wrong to want to succeed or to have money. It's also not wrong to not have. Now not being able to pay your bills or feed your family is an issue. If you have kids, they do not understand. Perhaps if you are in this situation you need to get before God and figure out and confess where you contributed to the situation. Seek God on how to fix it. It may take awhile, you may also have to make some very difficult decisions, change some things, depend on the government (which I hate but hey, help is help and I appreciate it).

If you've lost your job due to the current world situation, there's not much you can do other than depend on God for HIS direction. He will provide one way or another but His provision does not mean that your lifestyle will not have to change.

Stop your moaning and groaning and just do what you need to do. Rejoice in the Lord while you're doing it. Take advantage of whatever is available, even if you don't like it. Rejoice while you're doing it. Until God provides something you like better you don't have much choice. Rejoice while you're doing it. Don't expect others who are going through hard times too to bail you out. When God wants to use them, He will.

"You can do all things through Yeshua Messiah, Who give you strength" Strength to stop mumbling, strength to depend on HIM, strength to survive whatever it is you're going through emotionally, physically, and spiritually. You may fail, but God never will. Others may mock you...even other believers...but keep your trust in God. Know what He's told you to do and go after it and nothing else.

You through Yeshua, can do it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Think On These Things
Phil 4:8-9
[... snipped]
What is the mind of Christ?
[snipped ... ]

That's a helpful link you've provided, in discussing the mind of Christ ...

p.s. :blush:
I think this goes nicely here ...

:musicalnote:Breathe on me, Holy Spirit of God; Breathe on me, fill me anew.
Breathe on me, Holy Spirit of God; to love what You love, and to do what You do.:musicalnote:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Secret of Contentment
Phil 4:10-13

[... snipped]

"I can do all things through Messiah who strengthens (V 13)

It's important to note that when Paul makes this statement he's talking about being content with our station in life, whether we are rich or poor, well fed or in need of food. Either one is ok with him. He can survive any situation whether he has food/money/clothes or not.

It's not wrong to want to succeed or to have money. It's also not wrong to not have. Now not being able to pay your bills or feed your family is an issue. If you have kids, they do not understand. Perhaps if you are in this situation you need to get before God and figure out and confess where you contributed to the situation. Seek God on how to fix it. It may take awhile, you may also have to make some very difficult decisions, change some things, depend on the government (which I hate but hey, help is help and I appreciate it).

If you've lost your job due to the current world situation, there's not much you can do other than depend on God for HIS direction. He will provide one way or another but His provision does not mean that your lifestyle will not have to change.

Stop your moaning and groaning and just do what you need to do. Rejoice in the Lord while you're doing it. Take advantage of whatever is available, even if you don't like it. Rejoice while you're doing it. Until God provides something you like better you don't have much choice. Rejoice while you're doing it. Don't expect others who are going through hard times too to bail you out. When God wants to use them, He will.

"You can do all things through Yeshua Messiah, Who give you strength" Strength to stop mumbling, strength to depend on HIM, strength to survive whatever it is you're going through emotionally, physically, and spiritually. You may fail, but God never will. Others may mock you...even other believers...but keep your trust in God. Know what He's told you to do and go after it and nothing else.

You through Yeshua, can do it!

:oldthumbsup: ... what is impossible with man, is possible with God!

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Generosity
Phil 4:14-20

Nevertheless, you have done well to share in my trouble. Now you Philippians also know that in the beginning of the Good News, when I left Macedonia, not a single community partnered with me in giving and receiving—except you alone. For even in Thessalonica you sent something for my need more than once. (V 14-16)

Paul tells the Philippeans that they did well in sharing with his troubles. How did they share in his troubles? By giving. Giving out of their own needs even...sharing what they had.

A Hebrew word for giving is Tzedakah.

In Jewish tradition, tzedakah is an act of righteousness that comes from our duty to help others in need. ~Hebrew For Christians~
Giving does not make us righteous however it IS one of those "works" which together with our faith and trust (Jms 2:18) in the shed blood of Yeshua shows that we do belong to HIM.

Paul states that the Philippeans, from the beginning of his ministry were the ONLY one's who partnered with him and sent supplies to him for his needs...several times.

This care-package he'd just received via Epaphroditus had been a long time coming. Paul had been travelling and shipwrecked, and now was in prison and the Philippeans had not been able (for one reason or another) to send their regular help for awhile. Even when Paul was in Thessalonica they had gotten a package to him.

The people had gone through great pains to get this new package to him and Epaphroditus had travelled far and probably had his own life in danger to get the package to Paul. "Not a single one" of the other communities that Paul had spent time with had contributed to the needs of his ministry except for the Philippeans.

Paul was proud of them and he made sure to commend them for it.
Not that I am looking for a gift, but for fruit that overflows to your credit. (V 7)

Paul is not saying these things because he personally wants things from them but because he see's fruit of their faith that is overflowing and it is a credit to them.

They were givers not only to Paul but to each other. I seriously doubt there was any competition in seeing who could give the most. I'm reminded of one event in the Older Testament. It's found in Num 7.

It was time for the offerings of the people for the Dedication of The Alter. They were not instructed on what to bring, however, each tribe brought the same exact offering. The scripture spells out what each tribe brought and goes through the detail of each offering and they all were the same, exactly.

The explanation I've heard regarding this is that all the tribes got together before hand and discussed among themselves what the "poorest" among them could give, then they decided they all would give only what the poorest could give. In order to not humiliate the poorest among them, they all gave the same exact offering.

I think congregations could learn a lot from this seemingly boring and monotonous portion of scripture. For those who want to and are able to give more they should do it "without the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing" (Matt 6:3). IOW Do it in secret.
But I have received everything and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you sent—a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. (V 18)

He's received everything they've sent and he has more than enough. Possibly he even shared his blessing with other prisoners, which tends to be common among those who understand need.

After the gift from Epaphroditus he is fully supplied and it is a fragrant aroma, showing as an acceptable sacrifice, and very pleasing to God.

• Don't just think about yourself. Look at your own situation and consider how you can give. Can you knit or chrochet or sew and you have a "stash" of supplies? Make hats, scarves, toys, clothes, etc., and give them to someone who has a ministry to the poor, or homeless, or abused children. The children in the placement centers need more than just a "trash bag" to put their things in when being moved from one place to another. Can you cook? Can you do woodwork? Can you build? Can you clean someone's house who cannot do it themselves?
Think on it. God will show you something you can do. If you're in a place of needing help don't be too proud to let people know when it's necessary. Don't expect it though, and don't demand it and don't go on FB or anywhere else and talk about how those people say they're Christians but they didn't help you. Don't reject help. If you don't need it say so but don't need it and reject it when someone offers.
My God will fulfill every need of yours according to the riches of His glory in Messiah Yeshua. To our God and Father be the glory forever and ever! Amen. (19-20)

God will meet all of our needs...ALL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Final Greetings
Phil 4:21-23

"Greet all the kedoshim in Messiah Yeshua. The brethren who are with me greet you". (V 21)

Paul ends with saying, "Greet all the kedoshim (holy one's) in Messiah" for me. IOW "Say hello to all the other believers for me". He tells them that all the brothers that are with him, those who visit him and any who might be attending to his needs have asked him to say hello to them.

Because Paul had told them previously that he "had more than enough" in supplies, I believe there were women involved in caring for him as well. They possibly visited with him as was proper and also maybe making blankets, preparing food, etc. If they could not bring them to him themselves they gave them to their husbands, brohers, children, ect., in some way helping as they could. It does not say, but I think even children gave. Paul included them in the letter to the Philippeans so I believe they were included in the giving. Just a thought.

"All the kedoshim greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household". (V 22)

"Caesar's household" meant the whole of the persons, slaves and freemen alike, composing the establishment of the emperor in his palace on the Palatine Hill at Rome". ~Bible Hub~

"The grace of the Lord Yeshua the Messiah be with your spirit" (V 23)

Upvote 0