Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
A Prison Letter of Joy...that is how I've seen Paul's letter from prison to the Philippians described. Paul's main reason for writing it is to thank the Philippians for the gift they had sent him. There were other reasons too of which will be discussed in the teaching.

In this letter, we don't find Paul reprimanding the Philippians regarding any sin as he had done in his letter to Ephesians. Instead we frequently read the words joy and rejoice. All while he was in chains, in prison.

The theme of the letter is joy.

Comments, Questions, Observations, and Insights can be made in the link below:

iu

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Greetings
Phil 1:1-2

Paul immediately identifies that the letter is coming from him and Timothy, both servants of Yeshua. Paul first met Timothy on his second journey. Timothy had a Jewish mother and grandmother and his father was Greek. Paul considered Timothy "Like a son" and spoke highly of him and often spoke of how Timothy served Yeshua alongside him. Timothy looked up to Paul and stuck closely beside him, making sure that whatever Paul needed Timothy would make sure and acquire it for him. Timothy was a disciple of Paul, learning at the side of God's Chosen Vessel. (Act 9:13-15)

Paul tells them the letter is for all the believers in Philippi which formed a fully functioning congregation with overseers and servant-leaders...or as some say, elders and deacons. The Complete Jewish Bible uses the Hebrew word shammashim.

Paul further greets them with "Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Yeshua, Messiah".

• Informative
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanksgiving And Prayers of Joy
Phil 1:3-11

I am so touched by Paul's freedom to express his care and love for the people. That is an emotion I think (and I could be wrong) that many men and women today do not feel free to express. Paul is a tough guy, yet he freely tells the people how much he cares for them. In today's world, being a bit "mushy" with each other can be taken in so many un-godly directions so many people avoid it altogether and many go along without ever knowing how much they mean to someone and likewise, they don't let someone who has greatly encouraged them, know how much they mean to them. If you have this struggle, learn to get over it. Keep it holy and let others know how much they mean to you.

Paul thanks God for every memory of them. He's confident that the One who started the good work in them will faithfully see it through to its completion. God will NOT leave halfway through His projects, and we are His projects. :) Even when we fall, He does not leave us behind to flounder, He picks us up and we can continue together down the road.

Paul says it's right that he feels the way he does since they have been partakers with him in grace. Grace in his imprisonment and grace in defending the Good News of Yeshua the Messiah. God is his witness (God sees) how much he longs for them and he has the affection of Messiah for them.

He continues to pray that their love will overflow in knowledge and depth of discernment. Knowledge and deep discernment are necessary in order to approve and know what is excellent and what is not. This is so that when Yeshua returns, we may be found blameless and not part of the deceipts of the world. So also, we may be filled with the fruits of righteousness that comes through Yeshua of which all glory and praise are given to God.

What are the fruits of righteousness? Paul lists them for us in his letter to the Galations, see Gal 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Ruach is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control" These are not just the fruit of the Spirit but the fruit of righteousness.

Falling short in these fruits is the signal that we need to allow God to work on us in those areas. Be quick to admit you are wrong when you fall short on gentleness and move on, etc., fully depending on the One who started the Good work in you to be faithful to see it through to completion. Don't give up. We all fail, just don't lie down in that failure and not get up and continue on.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Even In Chains, Proclaiming Messiah
Phil 1:12-18

Paul makes it clear that his being put into chains and imprisoned has actually caused the advancement of the Gospel, The Good News. His imprisonment for preaching Messiah is known throughout the kingdom and the Praetorian Guard.

Because of Paul's imprisonment, most of the brethren (brothers and sisters) had become more confident in the Lord and took more chances of opportunity to preach the gospel themselves without fear.

Paul is aware that some are preaching the gospel out of envy and strife but others out of goodwill. Some are jealous over the fact that Paul is not only well known and respected but that he's reaching even more for the The Kingdom of God while in prison than they are while not imprisoned. They are jealous of his ministry and they are speaking the Good News in an attempt to lift themselves up and make themselves more known and popular. They are not sincere in their sharing of the gospel and actually have hopes of making things worse for Paul in prison. The ones who share sincerely do so out of love, knowing that Paul was appointed by God to declare and defend the Good News.

I think we may see some of this in todays society. Without discernment though, we can become false accusers without meaning to. Some take up preaching because they think they can get rich and some do. Not that it's bad to be rich, but the humility of Yeshua is difficult to find in many of these men and women who preach. Of course the humility of Yeshua is difficult to find in many a person in todays society whether they are popular or not. That's why those "fruits of righteousness" (see previous teaching) are so important.
Paul does not tell them to expose these doing it out of envy and strife though, his response is, "But, what does it matter?" In any and every way the gospel is preached, whether the person preaching is doing it in dishonesty or sincerely, we are to rejoice...Messiah is being proclaimed.

• Informative
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Christ In Me is To Live
Phil 1:18-30

Paul rejoices that Messiah is being preached whether those preaching it are doing it in dishonesty or in truth. He's not the judge of men's hearts, God is. And, he will continue to rejoice for he knows that through their prayers and the help of the Ruach (Spirit) of Yeshua he will be delivered. This is not necessarily deliverance from prison though, his hope is that in no way he be put to shame but that with complete boldness, now and always that Messiah be exalted in his body. Whether he continues living, or dies in prison.

"For me to live is Messiah (Christ), to die is to gain".

Paul considered life to be Yeshua living in him. If he contineues to live in prison he would continue to live as Yeshua called him to. He would not change his message so that he could hopefully get out of prison. If he died in prison, it was gain to him because he would then be with Messiah in the heavenlies.

We know that upon the death of a believer in Yeshua, we are immediately with Him. Iit does not specifically say "how" we are with Messiah, but just that we are. In chapter 3:21 it says our bodies will be conformed to His likeness, and in 1 Cor 15:35-58 it says we will later receive a resurrected body. To Paul that is a better ending than to go on living in his human body.

Paul' was torn between wanting to live on and continue his walk here in the flesh and wanting to be with Messiah. His choice for the time being though, was to remain alive for their sake (v 24). He knows that for their sake, he will remain a while longer so that they will continue to grow in their faith and their joy.

He encourages them to live their lives worthy of the Good News of Messiah. See Gal 5:22-23). Then, whether he sees them in the flesh or remains in prison, not able to come to them, that he hears good reports of them, how they are standing firm in their faith in one spirit and working together, side by side and not being frightened in any way by their opponents. Your fearlessness is a sign to them of their destruction but for you a sign of deliverance and salvation from God. (AMP)

This portion ends with, "You are not only called to trust in Him, but you are also called to suffer for His sake".

Wherever the Gospel is preached there is opposition, but a believer is not to be frightened by anything it does. This doesn't mean he must repress fear, but that by God-given strength he should not let it govern his behavior. He should overcome it by realizing that "God causes everything," even opposition, "to work together for the good of those who love God and are called in accordance with his purpose" (Ro 8:28). ~Jewish New Testament Commentary~

Living as God has called us is not a "no-brainer". We must purposely aim at the goal and shoot. If we miss then we aim again. Through the power of Yeshau and His Spirit living in us we are able.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Unity Through Humility
Phil 2:1-4

Paul continues with (paraphrased), So, if there is any encouragement in Messiah, and there certainly is, if there is any love and fellowship of the Spirit, if there is any affection and mercy, fulfill his (Paul's) joy by being like-minded.

Hmmm. I think we need to work on that one. There are so many differing opinions and teachings in the body of believers. While we should not be disputing and arguing with each other, neither should each group be teaching our own opinions on things in Messiah, we should be digging and searching the scriptures (in their context), discussing thoughts and ideas so as to come to conclusions that are not tearing at each other and bringing division among the body of believers? We should not be creating "doctrines" imagined from one scripture here and another scripture there. Teach God's word in it's context and live it as taught.

• There are about 41,000 different Christian denominations. ~Answers~
That does not sound much like "unity" does it?
Paul says, "Be of the same love, being of one accord, and one mind. Let nothing be done out of selfish ambition and conceit,

Now I cannot judge another persons heart, but I can judge my own. If I am blessed with a good singing voice I can share my gift by singing in the choir, or singing solo's, or singing at the local ministry on Saturday nights, etc., etc.. I can also realize that I may get a tad conceited about it and feel that I'm better than Sally so why don't I get the specal solo instead of Sally? I can place myself close to visiting well-known singers in hopes they will hear my awesome singing voice above all the others and put me in a special place in their ministry...and on and on it goes...whatever the gifting is.

We should check our own hearts and rein in our selfish attitudes and bring them to submission to serve Messiah in love and adoration for Him and nothing else. It's an on-going wrestling-match.

Note: if you find yourself getting "burnt-out", it's my thought that that is a clue that you are doing things in sellfish ambition and conceipt. Doing things in the love of God does not burn us out. Don't get down on yourself though, repent, seek His face, get your attitudes righted, and move on.

"But in lowliness of mind, esteem others as better than yourself."

This is NOT putting yourself down! In my opinion that's a false humility. A great deal of the time that's a fishing expedition. Put yourself down and someone will say, "oh now you're not stupid, you're beautiful and smart, and..." And if someone does not pop up and say that then you get depressed and mope around, and so on and so on.. a fishing expedition. I've nailed it nd you know it. :)

• Lowliness: humble in station, condition, or nature.
  • Synonyms:constraint, decency, discreetness, humbleness, humility, meeekness, quietness, just to name a few.
  • Esteem: to regard highly or favorbly.
  • Synonyms: hold dear, cherish, treasure, prize, etc.

"Let each of you look out not only for his own interests but also for the interests of others".

It's okay to have your own interests, but it's not okay to tread on and over others in order to get it. Watch your attitudes regarding yourself and others.

Again, when you see the issues in your own heart, and you will, if you're seeking God and His ways, don't give up and get all depressed over it. Get before God, repent, ask Him to change you and then move on walking in God's light to the best of your ability.

We will fall, a lot, but we are not hopeless. Our hope is in Yeshua the Messiah. "Misrable man that I am, who will save me from this body of death? Thanks be to God it is through Messiah Yeshua, our Lord" (Rom 7:24-25)

• Agree
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yeshua, The Humbled and Exalted
Phil 2:5-11

"Have this attitude in yourselves, which also was in Messiah Yeshua, Who, though existing in the form of God, did not consider being equal to God a thing to be grasped.
But He emptied Himself—taking on the form of a slave, becoming the likeness of men
and being found in appearance as a man. He humbled Himself—becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."." (V 5-8).

Paul has just said we are to look out for not only our own interests but for the interests of others, then says, "Have this same attitude in yourselves". Yeshua gave the supreme example ofputting the interest of others over his own. The example being that he, being equal with God, took on human form and descended from that equality to die for us, for our sins. We are to be in union with Messiah and take on this same attitude of humility and putting the interest of others over our own.

Now these were not just "any" interests of others. The Jews thought that Mesiah was coming to conquer the Roman world and set the Jews in power, but that is not what he did. He knew that above all else the world needed saving from being judged on their sins and eternal separation from God. They needed someone who could qualify as the perfect lamb of God and pay the debt of sin for all mankind that would accept it.

He met what our real need was, not just our personal goals while living on earth and our whims. That is why we must be continually filled, so that we can know what the Spirit says they need, not what they are expecting of you. (Eph 5:16-20) We can not allow ourselves to be torn in varied directions by the people in our lives.

Yeshua, being equal with God, took on an earthly body. I don't understand how he did that, but being equal with God, he can do whatever he wants. :) We are not going to understand all the mysteries of God. We can ask Him but I don't know that our finite minds will comprehend it.

He experienced all the things on earth that we experience. He expeienced sadness, disappointment, joy, depression, persecution, and death, and he overcame it all by dependancy upon his heavenly Father...just as we are. Thankfully, we are not called to die for the sins of the world but there are many who are giving up their lives for their faith and trust in Yeshua. We should at least be able to give up some things that are not for our benefit without whining and crying.

"For this reason God highly exalted Him and gave Him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Yeshua every knee should bow, in heaven and on the earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue profess that Yeshua the Messiah is Lord—to the glory of God the Father". (V9-11)

It was because of Yeshua's humility that God exalted him and gave him the name that is above all other names...the name Yeshua. At that name every knee should bow, and every tongue profess that Yeshua, the Messiah, is Lord, and it all will be to the glory of God, the Father.

Our humbling ourselves and putting the needs of others ahead of our own (in the right way) brings glory to God.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Work Out Your Salvation
Phil 2:12-18

Therefore, my loved ones, just as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence—work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For the One working in you is God—both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Paul acknowledges that while he was among them they always did what he instructed them to do. He urges that they continue to do so even though he is not there with them. Even more they should follow his instructions while he is absent and they should "work out their own salvation with fear and trembling". What does work out your own salvation with fear and trembling mean?

Often, it is used by people to put other people in fear of losing their salvation and to manipulate and control them. It can hardly be thought that Paul is telling the believers to live in continual fear and aanxiety over missing a step and falling. Such an idea would totally contracict everything he had written to the Galations as well as others where he continuously encouraged the people they were safe in their faith and trust in Yeshua.

The Amplified Bible puts it this way, "continue to work out your salvation [that is, cultivate it, bring it to full effect, actively pursue spiritual maturity] with awe-inspired fear and trembling [using serious caution and critical self-evaluation to avoid anything that might offend God or discredit the name of Christ]".

So, reading that, I understand (rephrasing) that we are to cultivate and pursue spiritual maturity, using caution and critical self-evaluation to avoid anything that might offend God and/or discredit the name of Yeshua. This is not a put-yourself-down time, it's an evaluation of yourself and where you are and then making any necessary changes. This is YOU evaluating yourself in honesty with the intent of ridding yourself (with God's help) of the parts that are unsavoury.

Here is a self-evaluation test you can take to start and then move forward from there: Evaluating Your Spiritual Life. Be honest and be comforted that it is God working in you and He's bringing about the changes in you that will bring Him pleasure. We are not left to our own ability alone to make changes. We obey what God says aind in the process of obeying, God works the changes.

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you might be blameless and innocent, children of God in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation. Among them, you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that I may boast in the day of Messiah that I did not run or labor in vain.

Do EVERYTHING without grumbling or arguing! Yikes! Most of us I think fall short in that one. It's one of my weaknesses. In today's world that's pretty much all people do, is grumble and complain. Even if it's not done out loud we are still doing it in our spirit.

It make things worse. When we don't like something, we're not to grumble and complain. Get a reign on it...quickly. Of course it's not easy but it's necessary.

That does not mean that we cannot have honest problems with something, but we should think of a way we can make it better then offer a solution when we bring up an issue. Don't just give complaint without a possible solution. And if the person we're trying to convince does not listen, then we are to continue in what we're supposed to do without grumbling or arguing.

Among the people of the world we are to shine as lights, holding strongly to the life of Yeshua that is in us and when the day of Messiah comes Paul will be able to boast about us and he will be assured that he did not run the race or labor and die in vain.

But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and the service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all. The same way, you also—rejoice and share your joy with me!

Here, Paul references to his blood being pourd out as a drink-offering. The faith of the Philippeans caused them to offer their lives as a sacrifice in serving God...and Paul is saying that possiblyhe will have to offer his own life as a drink offering, to be poured out to accompany their sacrifices in serving God. Paul says that even if that is the case he will rejoice and share his joy with all of them, the same way they also rejoice and share their joy wih him.

Paul knew that he was quite likely going to die in prison. He viewed that as an offering of joy and wanted them to view it that way also.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Timothy, Paul's Faithful Friend
Phil 2:19-24

But I hope in the Lord Yeshua to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too might be encouraged when I know the news about you. I have no one else like him who will genuinely care about you— for all seek after their own interests, not those of Messiah Yeshua.

Paul writes that he has hopes of sending Timothy to them so that Timothy can bring news back to him of them and how they are doing in the fiath. Paul considered Timothy to be like no one else. Timothy was genuine in his faith and he also cared about the welfare of the Phillippeans just as much as Paul did. Other than Timothy, all the others of Paul's companions had deserted him after his arrest, seeking their own interests and not the interests of Messiah Yeshua.
But you know Timothy’s proven character, that he served with me in spreading the Good News like a son with his father. Therefore I hope to send him immediately, as soon as I see how things go with me. And I trust in the Lord that soon I too will come myself.

Timothy's good character was proven. He was a native of Lystra. Timothy is mentioned twenty-nine times in the New Testament. He was the son of a Jewish woman who had become a believer and a Greek father. (Act 16:1) We don't know anything else about Timothy's father.

His mother and maternal grandmother Lois (2 Tim 1:5), also a believer, had taught Timothy's the scriptures, which at that time was just the Tenach. Timothy was taught the scriptures, however since he was not circumcised when he and Paul met, he had not been raised as a Jew.

Timothy's mother and grandmother raised him to have a deep understanding and respect for the scriptures starting at a young age and was what aided him in understanding the message of salvation and putting his faith and trust in Yeshua. (see 2 Tim 3:14-15) Note that Paul refers to the Tenach as "the sacred writings that are able to make you wise, leading to salvation through trusting in Messiah Yeshua".

We see in Acts that Paul urged (he did not force him) Timothy to be circumcised. Why? Because there were Jews who knew Timothy's father and knew that Timothy was not circumcised, and because of this they would not listen to anything Timothy had to say. (Act 16:3-4) Being circumcised would make it so that Timothy would be received by the local Jews as he worked alongside Paul. This was an example of what Paul would say in 1 Cor 9:19-23)

That Timothy allowed Paul to circumcise him is a tremendous amount of devotion in order to share with Paul his burden to share Yeshua the Messiah, with the Jews.

After Timothy was circumcised he accompanied Paul and Silas on Paul's second missionary journey.( Act 15:36-41) Paul trained Timothy in the work of the ministry. Paul frequently referred to Timothy as his son and trusted Timothy with the gospel. Timothy was consistently by Paul's side, even when the others left.

So Paul hoped to soon send Timothy to them as soon as he knew what was going to happen him (Paul). He was hoping that he too would come to them and see them personally. Timothy was Paul's closest friend and Paul trusted him completely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Epaphroditus, The Delivery Man
Phil 2:25-30

"But I thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus—my brother and co-worker and fellow soldier, as well as your messenger and aide to my need. For he was longing for you all and troubled because you heard that he was sick. He certainly was sick, close to death. But God had mercy on him—and not only on him but also on me, so that I would not have sorrow upon sorrow."

Ephaphroditus was part of the Philippean congregation and the congregation had collected supplies and put together a "care package" for Paul and sent it to Rome via Ephaphroditus.

While with Paul in Rome, Ephaphroditus, in his ferver and desire to help Paul in every way possible, went above and beyond in his service and became ill to the point of death. He didn't die though and eventually he got better and Paul sent him back to Philippi with his letter.

It does not say how long it had been, but Paul says that Ephaphroditus was longing to return to them and he was troubled that they had heard of his sickness and wanted to return to them to assure them that he was doing well. Paul was thankful to God that Ephaphroditus did not die because if he had, it would have added more sorrow to his imprisonment. Paul deeply cared about others and their concerns.

"Therefore I have sent him with special urgency, so that when you see him again you might rejoice and I might be less worried about you. So welcome him in the Lord with all joy, and hold men like him in high regard, because he came close to death for the work of Messiah, risking his life to make up for what was lacking in your service to me."

So, Paul is sending Ephaphroditus back to Philippi with urgency so that whan they saw him they would rejoice and he, Paul, would be less worried about them. So "love on him" with joy and look on men like him with high regard because he came close to death for the work of Messiah. Ephaphroditus risked his own life to make up for things that Paul needed that the Philippeans had not been able to send him in the care-package.

To the Philippeans, Ephaphrodites was a messenger who delivered a package. To Paul he was his brother, co-worker, and fellow soldier.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yeshua, Our Confidence
Phil 3:1-11

Finally, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! To keep writing the same things to you is not troublesome for me—but for you, it is a safeguard.

Paul tells them to "Rejoice in the Lord". He tells them that his repeating himself is no trouble to him and for them, it's a safeguard. We should not be offended by a man/woman of God repeating proven in scripture spiritual truths to us...it's for our spiritual safety.
Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the mutilation. For it is we who are the circumcision, who worship by the Ruach Elohim and glory in Messiah Yeshua and have not depended on the flesh— though I myself might have confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he might depend on the flesh, I far more— circumcised the eighth day; of the nation of Israel; from the tribe of Benjamin; a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the Torah, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting Messiah’s community; as for Torah righteousness, found blameless.

Beware of the Judaizers who are trying to convince you that you are not truly part of Messiah (saved) until you are circumcised.
  • A Judaizer taught that, in order for a Christian to truly be right with God, he must conform to the Mosaic Law. Circumcision, especially, was promoted as necessary for salvation. Gentiles had to become Jewish proselytes first, and then they could come to Christ. The doctrine of the Judaizers was a mixture of grace (through Christ) and works (through the keeping of the Law). This false doctrine was dealt with in Acts 15 and strongly condemned in the book of Galatians. ~Got Questions~
A Judaizer could be born Jewish or a proselyte: A Gentile who had converted to Judism. As person who was following Jewish customs of prayer and the food laws, etc., but had not taken the final step of circumcision was called a God-fearer (as with Cornelious) but a Gentile who had gone the whole route and had been circumcised was considered a Jew, though not by birth.

It is us who have been born-again who truly worship by the Ruach Elohim (Spirit of God). Those that are born from above are the one's who are spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose who are the true circumcision. We are the ones who worship in the Spirit of God and glory and take pride abd exult in Yeshua. We do not place out confidence in what we have, what we do, or who we are in the flesh. (see AMP)

Note that Paul does not say one cannot follow the Jewish laws or be circumcised if they desire to follow God in that way, but they should not depend on the "doing" to save them. We are saved by grace through our faith and trust in what Yeshua did on the cross for us. (Eph 2:8-10)

Paul then begins to list his qualifications in the flesh over the qualifications of the Judaizers, lending the idea the Judaizers bothering the Philippeans were proselytes, if not all, at least some of them.

1. He was circumcised on the 8th day of birth. Circumcised the eighth day, in accordance with the Torah (Genesis 17:8-12, Leviticus 12:3), not on a later occasion, which would have been a less faithful fulfillment of the command. ~Jewish New Testament Commentary~
  2. He's Jewish by blood. An Israelite by birth, not by conversion, like the Judaizers: In effect, he asks, "Are they Jews? If so, they are Jews only by conversion, while 1 am 'an Israelite by birth' (v. 5), which is a more telling claim." Judaism forbids embarrassing a proselyte by reminding him of his non-Jewish origins (see also Ro 4:16N), but here Sha'ul effectively rules that protecting the faithful against those who prey on them is a weightier point of halakhah.~Jewish New Testament Commentary~
  3. He was from the Tribe of Benjamin.Many Jews by this lime could not trace their genealogy, or were descended from proselytes. Presumably Sha'ul was named after King Sha'ul, also from the tribe of Benjamin. ~Jewish New Testament Commentary~
  4. He was a Hebrew of Hebrews in regards to the Torah...A Hebrew-speaker, with Hebrew-speaking parents, literally, a Hebrew of the Hebrews. In an age when 85% of the Jews in the world were living in the Diaspora, being a Hebrew-speaker would confer higher status as a Jew.~Jewish New Testament Commentary~
  5. He is a Pharisee. In regard to the Torah, a Parush, a Pharisee; Sha'ul called the P'rushim "the strictest party in our religion" (Ac 26:5). Indeed, he was no ordinary Parush but was "trained at the feet of Gamli'el in every detail of the Torah of our forefathers. (Ac 22:3&N), Rabban Gamli'el I being the outstanding teacher among the P'rushim of that time. Moreover, wrote Sha'ul, "since I was more of a zealot for the traditions handed down by my forefathers than most Jews my age, I advanced in traditional Judaism more rapidly than they did" (Ga 1:14&N)~Jewish New Testament Commentary~
  6. In keeping Torah, he is perfect at it and blameless of any breaking of it. In regard to zeal, a persecutor of the Messianic Community (the ekklesia, the Church). See the evidence at Ac 7:58; 8:1-3; 9:1-2, 13-14; 1С 15:9; Ga 1:13, 23; I Ti 1:12-15.~Jewish New Testament Commentary~
No one could exceed Paul in fleshly righteousness in accordance with Torah.
But whatever things were gain to me, these I have considered as loss for the sake of the Messiah. More than that, I consider all things to be loss in comparison to the surpassing value of the knowledge of Messiah Yeshua my Lord. Because of Him I have suffered the loss of all things, and I consider them garbage in order that I might gain Messiah and be found in Him not having my righteousness derived from Torah, but one that is through trusting in Messiah—the righteousness from God based on trust.

After his list of qualifications Paul quickly clarifies that anything he has to brag about according to the flesh he considers to be a loss for Messiah. Up to this point Paul has avoided bragging about his "fleshly" qualificaions and he might have felt a bit embarrassed for doing so, but he wanted to make it clear that fleshly qualificaions for being accepted by God were useless.

Because of his putting his faith and trust in Yeshua, and preaching the gospel of Yeshua Messiah, he had lost everything. Quite the argument to those who claim that God wants to make you financially rich. :sorry: Paul did not care that he'd lost everything. He considered the things he had lost to be garbage. Paul was more interested in gaining Messiah and being found in Him He did not want his righteousness to be found but the righteousness that is found through trusting in Yeshua. He desired righteousness that comes only from God.

My aim is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the sharing of His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death— if somehow I might arrive at the resurrection from among the dead.

I like the way the Amplified puts it:

10 And this, so that I may know Him [experientially, becoming more thoroughly acquainted with Him, understanding the remarkable wonders of His Person more completely] and [in that same way experience] the power of His resurrection [which overflows and is active in believers], and [that I may share] the fellowship of His sufferings, by being continually conformed [inwardly into His likeness even] to His death [dying as He did]; so that I may attain to the resurrection [that will raise me] from the dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Pursuing The Goal
Phil 3:12-21

"Not that I have already obtained this or been perfected, but I press on if only I might take hold of that for which Messiah Yeshua took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself as having taken hold of this. But this one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal for the reward of the upward calling of God in Messiah Yeshua".

Paul has just said that he desires to know Yeshua and become more throughly acquanted with him. He desired to understand the remarkable wonders of His Person more completely and in that same way experience the power of His resurrection which overflows and is active in every believer. Paul desired to share the fellowship of His sufferings by being continually inwardly conformed into His likeness, even to the same death, if needed.. He desired this so that he may attain to the resurrection that would rause him (Paul) from the dead. (Phil 3:10 AMP)

Then he adds, "but I've not attained this yet" and even though he's not yet attained it, he contineues to reach for it for the purpose of grabbing hold (like the woman who chased after Yeshua and grabbed His tzizits and was healed) see Mt 9"18-26.

Paul clarifies again, I have not yet grabbed ahold of it. But there is one thing that he does do....he forgets what is behind him and strains for what is ahead of him. He is not dwelling on the past and what he did or said or thought, but he's running forward to what God will do. He wants to win that race. It's not about finishing first like in the races here on earth, it's about finishing period. Finishing for the reward of that call of God on his life that is found only in Messiah Yeshua.

" Therefore let all who are mature have this attitude; and if you have a different attitude in anything, this also God will reveal to you. Nevertheless, let us live up to the same standard we have attained".

All of us who are mature, those of us who are straining toward the goal and persuing spiritual perfection should have this same attitude. What attitude? Forgetting what is behind and running for what is ahead. Not allowing yourselves to be sidetracked and getting off course. Not allowing things you've done or said in the past to plague you and torment you. If there are people you need to forgve, forgive them. Quickly.
  • One thing I believe the Lord showed me to do when I realized I need to forgive some people was that I emagined myself meeting them in some way, and in that meeting I emagined myself telling them "I forgive you". It's helped me. Even if I need to do that several times, it does not matter, just forgive. You cannot move forward until you do it. I don't believe you necessarily have to do this in person, but in your own self, you must do it. In the event of you being able to let the person know you've forgiven them, then do it. It's vital to your spiritual health and growth. Though that does not mean that you need to give them opportunity to harm you again.
If there are people you need to ask to forgive you, do that too. If they do not want to forgive you, then know that you have done your part in seeking forgiveness. Other's holding unforgiveness against you does not mean that God has not forgiven you and you can move on with what God has called you to. Don't continue to beat yourself up for it.
  • Consider: if you have asked God's forgiveness you can know that you are forgiven. If you continue to beat yourself up it might be a sign that you are not forginving someone else. Remember the parable of the debter who had been forgiven of a great debt then he refused to forgive someone who owed him a small debt? When the man who'd forgiven the great debt (representitive of God) heard how the man he'd forgiven was holding a small debt over the head of another (other's offenses to us are much smaller than the debt we owe God), then he put the man refusing to forgive in debters prison. A spiritual debter's prison could be that continual and persistent guilt for our unforgiveness. Just a thought. (See Matt 18:21-35)
"And" Paul says, if your attitude is different from what it should be, by continuing to pursue and go for crossing the finish line, God will reveal to you your incorrect attitude and continue to work on you. PERSUE...GO AFTER...Continue to pursue that which is found only in God. Don't give up. Don't run in place. Continue forward.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Again, I Say Rejoice!
Phil 4:1-7

Therefore, my brothers and sisters whom I love and long for, my joy and crown—stand firm in the Lord in this way, my loved ones. (V 1)

Paul loved and longed for being in the company of his brothers and sisters in the Lord. The way they lived out the gosple as he had taught them and seeing how God was growing and maturing them was a delight to him. They were his crown. He loved them dearly.
  • Dearly beloved and longed for . . .--The peculiar affectionateness of this verse is notable. It is curiously coincident with the words addressed years before to Thessalonica (1Thessalonians 2:19), "What is our hope and joy and crown of rejoicing? Are not ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ . . .? Ye are our glory and our joy." But it has just the addition natural to the yearnings of captivity: they are "longed for," and that (see Philippians 1:8) "in the heart of Jesus Christ." The "crown" is here the garland, the sign of victory in the apostolic race and struggle of which he had spoken above (Philippians 3:12-14). The crown of glory, of righteousness, and of life, is usually described as future (see 2Timothy 4:8; James 1:12; 1Peter 5:4; Revelation 2:10), and this is the case in the Thessalonian Epistle. Here, without excluding that completer sense, the reference is also to the present. The Philippians are St. Paul's crown, as the Corinthians are his "seal" (1Corinthians 9:2)--at once the proof of His apostolic mission and the reward of his apostolic labour. In both aspects the present is the earnest of the future. ~Ellicott's Commentary for English Reader's~
"Stand firm in the Lord in this way". What way? The way he had just described in verse 14-16 of chapter 3. Continue straining toward the goal and striving for perfection in your walk with the Lord.
I urge Euodia and Syntyche to be in harmony in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, true companion,to help these women—they labored side by side with me in spreading the Good News, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life. (V 2-3)

There were two women who had been working alongside each other and had also worked alongside Paul, as well as Clement and others and something happened that caused the two women to have a huge and public argument. If Paul, being in prison in Jerusalem had heard about their fighting, a great many others had heard about it too. Paul urges another person who was mature to help these two woman do what they needed to do to stop the arguing.

They, as we, are incouraged to work together in harmony. We can disagree with each other but when they reach the proportions that it had reached in Philippi we need to come together to seek the Lord's face and in all ways possible come to an agreement and stop fignting. It's not glorifying to Yeshua to bite and devour one another.

What is the Bood of Life? See also Jewish New Testament Commentary for Rev 20:12.
Rejoice in the Lord always—again I will say, rejoice! (V 4)

Take pleasure and delight in Yeshua the true Joy of the world. God's joy has nothing to do with partying and experiencing things that make us happy and last for only a little while. When life gets us down we can still take pleasure and delight in Yeshua who forgave us all our sins and has written out name in the Book of Life.
Let your gentleness be known to all people. (V 5a)

Many people are either too mealy mouthed or too rough. We're to tell the truth, speak plainly and thoroughly the gospel, but we should not be screaming at people they are going to hell and degrading them when they are the way they are because they don't yet understand who Yeshua is nor the extent of what HE did for them so they could have complete forgiveness of all their sins. We are NOT going to convince them by screaming at them for living and acting like the sinners they are. Be gentle. Speak the truth in love. (see Eph 4:15). It's only our job to tell, it's the Holy Spirit's job to draw them in.
The Lord is near. (V 5b)

Yeshua is coming soon!
Do not be anxious about anything—but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the shalom of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Messiah Yeshua. (V 6-7)

We are not to work ourselves into a dither over what may or may not happen. That does not mean that we don't do what is necessary and take care of what we can take care of but we are not to fret over it. When we're stairing trouble in the face we thank God for HIS protection and HIS provision and we thank HIM for the chance we're about to get to learn more trust in HIM. Thank HIM for what HE's already done for you, namely, forgiven all your sins and that your name is written in the Book of Life.

In all the thanksgiving make your needs and requests known. HE already knows them, but you need to hear yourself reminding yourself. In doing this the shalom (peace) that comes only from God, which no human has the ability to understand will guard your hearts and your minds IN Messiah Yeshua. That's how you get through it all and win the race.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Think On These Things
Phil 4:8-9

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any virtue and if there is anything worthy of praise—dwell on these things. (V 8)

• “Let’s face it,” Billy Graham wrote. “In the course of a day, all sorts of thoughts lodge themselves in our minds—some good, some not so good. Those thoughts can, in turn, give birth to all sorts of worries and anxieties; they may even lead us to do things that are wrong or destructive.”

"Whatever is true". Whatever is reality or fact. Not false.

"Whatever is honorable" Whatever is worthy of honor and high respect.

"Whatever is just". Guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness.

"Whatever is pure" Free from foreign or inappropriate elements.

"Whatever is lovely" Delightful; highly pleasing in beauty, harmony, or grace.

"Whatever is commendable". Worthy of praise.

Anything of virtue and anything worthy of praise, think on these things, not the things that take our minds or our bodies to places they should not be. We are to have the mind of Christ.

What is the mind of Christ?
What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—put these things into practice, and the God of shalom will be with you. (V 9)

Everything that Paul has taught them and now us, and the way we've seen him act, we are to put them into practice in our own lives. Don't apply it to everyone else, apply it to yourself. By doing this the God of shalom (peace) will be with us.

• The Bible says Christians have the ability to “take every thought captive to obey Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5). In other words, your thoughts don’t have to be random, and they don’t have to control you. With practice and God’s help, you can control your thoughts. ~Billy Graham Evangelical Association~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Secret of Contentment
Phil 4:10-13

"I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me (though you were concerned before but lacked opportunity to show it)". (V 10)

Paul is telling them that he's happy that they are now able to give to him and show their care in a tangible way. He understands that they've always cared for him but had not had the opportunity to do so.

There could have been many reasons why they had been unable. We know that Paul received their gift via Ephraditus bringing it to him in jail in Rome.

iu

Philippi to Rome is 1311 km. That is 814.6176 miles. Ephraditus most likely travelled by foot. To cross the Adriadic Sea he probaly got on a ship, then from there on foot again. Maybe there was another means of transportation, horse, chariot, etc. used, but we don't know. It quite likely took him weeks to get to Paul. We don't know if he was alone or with a group. With him he had the "care-package" for Paul, plus items for his own needs. Maybe a change of clothes and some food.

It could have taken them several months to gather together all the items in the care package. Maybe the Philippians were able to only give as they had to give. We can't give what we don't have. If there were blankets and coats, etc., it took time for the people to make them and while making them they also had to take care of their own families so it may have taken them awhile.

We need to consider these things when people know we are in need but they don't meet that need immediately...or maybe even never. People can only give as they are able. Plus, we should not guilt people into giving, to us or anybody else.
I am not saying this because I am in need—for whatever circumstance I am in, I have learned to be content. (V 11)

He's not telling them this because he needs anything but letting them know that whatever his circumstance is, he is content in it.

I think we all probably need to learn that. Many are laid off from work right now, and some have lost their businesses and have no idea how they are going to pay for the bills and put food on the table. Fear and anxiety are understandable but Paul tells us to rejoice.

Imagine Paul, in prison, in chains.

This circumstance in itself imposes considerable stress. In his correspondence, he refers to himself as “the prisoner of Christ” (Eph. 3:1) or “the prisoner of the Lord” (Eph. 4:1), who is an “ambassador in chains” (Eph. 6:20). Chains were commonly viewed as an object of shame (cf. 2 Tim. 1:16). Note the multiple references to his “bonds” or to his state as a “prisoner” (Phil. 1:7, 13, 14, 17; Col. 4:18; Phile. 1, 9, 23). ~Christian Courier~
I know what it is to live with humble means, and I know what it is to live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment—both to be filled and to go hungry, to have abundance and to suffer need. (V 12)

Paul knows how to live as a poor person and he knows how to live as a rich person. I'm thinking, since he'd said in proclaiming Yeshua as Messiah that he'd "lost it all" the rich person part was before he came to Yeshua (Phil 3:8). Saul, also known as Paul was a well extaplisheed and highly regarded Pharisee. I think he was very well off and that money was no problem for him.

He's lost everything, but he is content with what he has, which at the moment is nothing. He does not enjoy being in prison, but his "joy in Yeshua" has nothing to do with "things" or "riches". If he goes hungry, he goes hungry. He will still rejoice in the Lord. He does not complain. He's not going on the Facebook of his day and complaining how "people claim to be believers and not a one of them are making sure my needs in prison are met". His needs are met via God alone. In testing where we put our faith, God often will make us wait a little while. Paul had needs but God did not let him starve or freeze to death.
"I can do all things through Messiah who strengthens (V 13)

It's important to note that when Paul makes this statement he's talking about being content with our station in life, whether we are rich or poor, well fed or in need of food. Either one is ok with him. He can survive any situation whether he has food/money/clothes or not.

It's not wrong to want to succeed or to have money. It's also not wrong to not have. Now not being able to pay your bills or feed your family is an issue. If you have kids, they do not understand. Perhaps if you are in this situation you need to get before God and figure out and confess where you contributed to the situation. Seek God on how to fix it. It may take awhile, you may also have to make some very difficult decisions, change some things, depend on the government (which I hate but hey, help is help and I appreciate it).

If you've lost your job due to the current world situation, there's not much you can do other than depend on God for HIS direction. He will provide one way or another but His provision does not mean that your lifestyle will not have to change.

Stop your moaning and groaning and just do what you need to do. Rejoice in the Lord while you're doing it. Take advantage of whatever is available, even if you don't like it. Rejoice while you're doing it. Until God provides something you like better you don't have much choice. Rejoice while you're doing it. Don't expect others who are going through hard times too to bail you out. When God wants to use them, He will.

"You can do all things through Yeshua Messiah, Who give you strength" Strength to stop mumbling, strength to depend on HIM, strength to survive whatever it is you're going through emotionally, physically, and spiritually. You may fail, but God never will. Others may mock you...even other believers...but keep your trust in God. Know what He's told you to do and go after it and nothing else.

You through Yeshua, can do it!

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Generosity
Phil 4:14-20

Nevertheless, you have done well to share in my trouble. Now you Philippians also know that in the beginning of the Good News, when I left Macedonia, not a single community partnered with me in giving and receiving—except you alone. For even in Thessalonica you sent something for my need more than once. (V 14-16)

Paul tells the Philippeans that they did well in sharing with his troubles. How did they share in his troubles? By giving. Giving out of their own needs even...sharing what they had.

A Hebrew word for giving is Tzedakah.

In Jewish tradition, tzedakah is an act of righteousness that comes from our duty to help others in need. ~Hebrew For Christians~
Giving does not make us righteous however it IS one of those "works" which together with our faith and trust (Jms 2:18) in the shed blood of Yeshua shows that we do belong to HIM.

Paul states that the Philippeans, from the beginning of his ministry were the ONLY one's who partnered with him and sent supplies to him for his needs...several times.

This care-package he'd just received via Epaphroditus had been a long time coming. Paul had been travelling and shipwrecked, and now was in prison and the Philippeans had not been able (for one reason or another) to send their regular help for awhile. Even when Paul was in Thessalonica they had gotten a package to him.

The people had gone through great pains to get this new package to him and Epaphroditus had travelled far and probably had his own life in danger to get the package to Paul. "Not a single one" of the other communities that Paul had spent time with had contributed to the needs of his ministry except for the Philippeans.

Paul was proud of them and he made sure to commend them for it.
Not that I am looking for a gift, but for fruit that overflows to your credit. (V 7)

Paul is not saying these things because he personally wants things from them but because he see's fruit of their faith that is overflowing and it is a credit to them.

They were givers not only to Paul but to each other. I seriously doubt there was any competition in seeing who could give the most. I'm reminded of one event in the Older Testament. It's found in Num 7.

It was time for the offerings of the people for the Dedication of The Alter. They were not instructed on what to bring, however, each tribe brought the same exact offering. The scripture spells out what each tribe brought and goes through the detail of each offering and they all were the same, exactly.

The explanation I've heard regarding this is that all the tribes got together before hand and discussed among themselves what the "poorest" among them could give, then they decided they all would give only what the poorest could give. In order to not humiliate the poorest among them, they all gave the same exact offering.

I think congregations could learn a lot from this seemingly boring and monotonous portion of scripture. For those who want to and are able to give more they should do it "without the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing" (Matt 6:3). IOW Do it in secret.
But I have received everything and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you sent—a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. (V 18)

He's received everything they've sent and he has more than enough. Possibly he even shared his blessing with other prisoners, which tends to be common among those who understand need.

After the gift from Epaphroditus he is fully supplied and it is a fragrant aroma, showing as an acceptable sacrifice, and very pleasing to God.

• Don't just think about yourself. Look at your own situation and consider how you can give. Can you knit or chrochet or sew and you have a "stash" of supplies? Make hats, scarves, toys, clothes, etc., and give them to someone who has a ministry to the poor, or homeless, or abused children. The children in the placement centers need more than just a "trash bag" to put their things in when being moved from one place to another. Can you cook? Can you do woodwork? Can you build? Can you clean someone's house who cannot do it themselves? Think on it. God will show you something you can do.

If you're in a place of needing help don't be too proud to let people know when it's necessary. Don't expect it though, and don't demand it and don't go on FB or anywhere else and talk about how those people say they're Christians but they didn't help you. Don't reject help. If you don't need it say so but don't need it and reject it when someone offers.
My God will fulfill every need of yours according to the riches of His glory in Messiah Yeshua. To our God and Father be the glory forever and ever! Amen. (19-20)

God will meet all of our needs...ALL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Final Greetings
Phil 4:21-23

"Greet all the kedoshim in Messiah Yeshua. The brethren who are with me greet you". (V 21)

Paul ends with saying, "Greet all the kedoshim (holy one's) in Messiah" for me. IOW "Say hello to all the other believers for me". He tells them that all the brothers that are with him, those who visit him and any who might be attending to his needs have asked him to say hello to them.

Because Paul had told them previously that he "had more than enough" in supplies, I believe there were women involved in caring for him as well. They possibly visited with him as was proper and also maybe making blankets, preparing food, etc. If they could not bring them to him themselves they gave them to their husbands, brohers, children, ect., in some way helping as they could. It does not say, but I think even children gave. Paul included them in the letter to the Philippeans so I believe they were included in the giving. Just a thought.

"All the kedoshim greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household". (V 22)

"Caesar's household" meant the whole of the persons, slaves and freemen alike, composing the establishment of the emperor in his palace on the Palatine Hill at Rome". ~Bible Hub~

"The grace of the Lord Yeshua the Messiah be with your spirit" (V 23)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.