✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

iu

Comments, Questions, Observations, and Insights can be made in the link below.

Last edited:

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Salutation
Col 1:1-2

1 Paul, an emissary of Messiah Yeshua by God’s will, and Timothy our brother, 2 To the kedoshim, the faithful brothers and sisters in Messiah, who are at Colossae: Grace and shalom to you from God our Father!

In Hebrew, the man we call Saul/Paul is Sha'ul. Duel names were common so he was also known as Paulus. Act 13:9 makes mention of the duel name when it says Saul also called Paul. Sha'ul was a Jew born in the Roman city of Tarsus. When he started his ministry to the Gentiles, it was his Roman name, Paulus that is used and our Bible translations shorten it to Paul.

As he does in many of his letters Paul divides this letter into what God has done (chap 1-2), and what believers are obligated to do in gratitude (chap 3-4). He identifies himself as an emissary, a representative of Messiah Yeshua in accordance to God's will.

He mentions that Timothy is also with him and he specifies that this letter is to the believers in Colossae. The brothers (believers) came to faith in Yeshua, not via Paul but through the efforts namely of Epaphras (see vs 7).

"Grace and shalom to you from God our Father!"

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanksgiving And Prayer
Col 1:3-8

"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Yeshua the Messiah, whenever we pray for you. For we heard of your trust in Messiah Yeshua and the love you have for all the kedoshim because of the hope stored up for you in heaven.

You heard before about this hope in the true message of the Good News that has come to you. In all the world this Good News is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has in you since you first heard it and came to truly know God’s grace. You learned it from Epaphras—our dearly loved fellow slave, who is a faithful servant of Messiah on our behalf. He also made clear to us your love in the Ruach".

"We always give thanks", the "we" of course is Paul and Timothy. This letter is from both of them. We don't know who actually said what but in my opinion, I think they possible both offered input. You can find more information on Timothy in the study we did of Philippians.(See link here). Timothy was a faithful friend to Paul during the time Paul was in prison and Paul knew that he could completely trust Timothy to rightfully teach the word of God.

In their daily prayers, which were quite likely "at least" three times a day, (see note* below) Paul and Timothy and whoever else might be visiting (see the end of Acts where there were many who would visit Paul in his inprisonment) that thanks was given for the faith of the Colosians. They were exceptionally loving toward the kedoshim, which is the fellow believers and holy ones in Yeshua.

• *See Act 10:1-8. The Jewish daily prayers consist of many different prayers and acknowledgements toward God. I've heard some, from churches that do not have these types of prayers and offerings refer to them as "vain repetition". However, in this section of events, we see that that is not how God viewed the prayers of Cornelious. Yes, he most likely was repeating the same prayers as everyone else, however, his heart was in it. He was not just "filling space" with his words with his mind thinking about what he was going to do when he got off work for the day. He meant what he was saying and God said it was going up as a memorial to HIM. A prayer and an offering from the heart is not a "vain repetition". We are responsible for judging our own heart on this issue, not anyone else's.
So Paul and Timothy had heard the many good reports about the Colossians. They were loving, caring, giving, and knew how to share their faith and were bearing much fruit. Epaphrus, was the one who had brought the Good News to the Colossians and he was teaching them well. The way they were responding to each other in love was the evidence of the good teaching they were receiving. Their love sprang from the hope that was being stored up for them in heaven.

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible
For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven - That is, “I give thanks that there is such a hope laid up for you.” The evidence which he had that this hope was theirs, was founded on the faith and love to the saints which he heard they had evinced. He fully believed that where there was such faith and love, there was a well-founded hope of heaven. The word “hope” here is used, as it often is, for the thing hoped for. The object of hope - to wit, eternal happiness, was reserved for them in heaven.
They tell the Colossians that tge world is hearing the Good News and responding just as they are...in love. Paul is brimming with pride, not the pompous kind of pride, but joy that the message of Yeshua dying for all our sins, was spreading and people were believing.

Adam Clarke Commentary
Which is come unto you - The doctrine of the Gospel is represented as a traveler, whose object it is to visit the whole habitable earth; and, having commenced his journey in Judea, had proceeded through Syria and through different parts of Asia Minor, and had lately arrived at their city, every where proclaiming glad tidings of great joy to all people.

As it is in all the world - So rapid is this traveler in his course, that he had already gone nearly through the whole of the countries under the Roman dominion; and will travel on till he has proclaimed his message to every people, and kindred, and nation, and tongue.

As they were taught, by the scriptures (at that time it was only the Tenach, what we know at the Older Testament), they believed. So, if someone tells you you don't need to read the OT, they are wrong. Be sure to study it on your own so that you are able to properly and correctly believe and train up others. That would include reading the scriptures in their entire context so to not be running around town claiming a verse that in it's context has nothing to do with your usage of it. It does matter.

Comments, Questions, Observations, and Insights can be made in the link below

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Pauls Requests Of God on Behalf of The Colossians
Col 1:9-14

For this reason also, ever since we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We keep asking God that you might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding— to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and growing in the knowledge of God.

We pray that you may be strengthened with all the power that comes from His glorious might, for you to have all kinds of patience and steadfastness. With joy we give thanks to the Father, who qualified you to share in the inheritance of the kedoshim in the light. He rescued us from the domain of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son whom He loves. In Him we have redemption—the release of sins.

I like how Paul does not mince words with just saying, "we're praying for you". He tells them "what" he's praying. From the moment the news of the tremendous faith of the Colissians reached Paul, he and any others were praying for them. There are specific things being prayed...what is it they are petitioning the throne for on the Colossians behalf?
  1. That they may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. The Colossians had the knowledge that brought them to faith, but they needed more. Paul was not referencing knowledge that could lead to winning a debate and/or to feelings of superiority and selfsatisfaction. He wanted them to have such a knowledge of the things of God that only the Spirit of truth can teach to the soul of man.
  2. That they might walk in a manner worthy of the Lord. There IS a wicked and a righteous way to live as a true believer in the Lord. The attempts at being righteous and failing is not the problem, it's the continued attitude of "I said a prayer to ask Jesus into my heart therefore, I can live as I please and I'm ok with Him". Mmmm, not true.
  3. For them to please Him in all respects. Wait a minute, isn't God pleased with us no matter what we do? Why would Paul be petitioning God on this? Another "not true" statement. YES, God loves us but not everything we do pleases Him. We do a lot of stuff that is horrendous to Him, and He hates it. He's grieved by any unrighteous behavior that is in us. We are to grieve as much as He does over our sinful behavior and work on allowing Him by our submission to Him to change it. It's a continuous battle and will be until we pass from this earthly dwelling. Paul talked about the battle between our flesh wanting to be wicked and our spirits wanting to do right in Rom 7. Are we letting our flesh win or are we putting up a fight?
  4. That they bear fruit in every good work. See Jon 15:7-8. See also Gal 5:22-23. Got Questions: What is the fruit of the Holy Spirit?
  5. That they grow in the knowledge of God. Reading and studying God's word (all of it, both testiments). Mull over what you read, ask questions of Him and make sure what you hear correlates with the rest of scripture. That includes any teachings you're getting from others as well. If there are contradictions, you're misunderstanding something. Spend time with Him, listening more than talking and become better aquainted with His true character.
  6. That they may be strengthened with all the power that comes from His glorious might, so that they may have all patience and steadfastness. We've been given all that we need to be overcomers. May we take hold of it and hang on for dear life. :) 1 Cor 10:6-13.
Paul joyfully gives thanks that God has rescued them from the domain of darkness and that they have been transferred to the Kingdom of the Son, whom He loves. It's in Yeshua that we have redemption, that our sins are forgiven. :clap:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Person And Work Of Messiah
Col 1:15-23

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created—in heaven and on earth, the seen and the unseen, whether thrones or angelic powers or rulers or authorities. All was created through Him and for Him. He exists before everything, and in Him all holds together.

He is the head of the body, His community. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead—so that He might come to have first place in all things. For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Hima and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, making peace through the blood of His cross— whether things on earth or things in heaven!

Once you were alienated from God and hostile in your attitude by wicked deeds. But now He has reconciled you in Messiah’s physical body through death, in order to present you holy, spotless and blameless in His eyes— if indeed you continue in the faith, established and firm, not budging from the hope of the Good News that you have heard. This Good News has been proclaimed throughout all creation under heaven, and I, Paul, have become its servant.

Paul begins to address false teachings that the Colossians were listening to. Besides the report of their faith, Epaphras also told Paul of their struggle with the many heritical teachings regarding Yeshua, who he is, and his work in us that was sweeping through the congregations. It was critical that they know and understand Yeshua in His greatness and His glory rather than the deficient view given by the false teachers.

Paul describes Yeshua with lofty language. He focuses on Yeshua's preeminence and sufficiency in all things.

1. He's the image of the invisible God. He's the exact image in thought and deed.
  2. He's the firstborn of all creation. "First born" is a title witnessed in the Tenach (OT) describing one of a high, preeminent status. Equilivent to "only begotten" and is a Jewish technical term meaning, "uncreated" (see Coffman Commentaries on the Bible).
  3. By Him all things were created in heaven and on earth, both visible and invisible and all was created through Him and for Him.
  4. He exists before everything.
  5. In Him all things are held together.
  6. He's the head of the body, His community of believers.
  7. He's the beginning, the first born to raise from the dead.
  8. The fullness of God is dwelling in Him and through Him in order to have all things reconciled to Him, making peace through His blood shed on the cross weather on earth or in heaven. He is the source of the new creation birthed within everyone who believes on His name by His death and resurrection.
Our view on who Yeshua is is vital to our walk. If we lack understanding of His authority over sin and His conquering it, then we flail in our walk, pounding on ourselves because of that flailing, not realizing that He took care of it for us. We don't need to know who "we" are, we need to know who "He" is. Also, if our view of Him is so familiar toward Him that He's my "homeboy", then we seriously lack in the "fear of the Lord" that is frequently referredt to in the Psalms, and Proversbs and other books. Yes, He's my friend, closer than a brother, but He's also the One who's shoulders the government will rest on. He's the wonderful counselor, Mighty God, Father of eternity, Prince of peace. His government increases, and there is peace throughout. (Is 9:6)

Starting with the phrase, "the Kingdom of His dear Son, "Sha'ul draws an exalted and multifacted portrait of Yeshua the Messiah, in many ways comparable with the description of God found in the Jewish hymn, Adon-'Olam, attributed to the 11th century poet Shlomo Ibn-Gvirol and sang to any of 1,500 melodies) in most synagogue services": ~Jewish New Testiment Commentary.~

Verse 21, Paul says, (paraphrased) "Once upon a time" because of your wickedness, you were alianated from God and hostile in your attitude toward Him. Now though, through what Yeshua Messiah did through His physical body by His death, we are reconciled . As long as we continue in the faith, established and firm, and not budging from the hope of the Good News that we have heard then He is able to present us holy, spotless, and blameless in His eyes.

It is this Good News, "that when we confess our sins to Him, He is fiathful to cleanse us from unrighteousness. (See 1 Jn 1:8-9) This does not make room for "repeating a prayer" after someone then going on your merry way and living as you please. True repentence involves an active desire of change. We, as Paul proclaimed here, are to become slaves to this Good News.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Mystery Revealed
Col 1:24-29

"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and in my physical body—for the sake of His body, Messiah’s community—I fill up what is lacking in the afflictions of Messiah. I became its servant according to God’s commission, given to me for you, in order to declare His message in full— the mystery that was hidden for ages and generations, but now has been revealed to His kedoshim (Hebrew for Holy Ones). God chose to make known to them this glorious mystery regarding the Gentiles—which is Messiah in you, the hope of glory! We proclaim Him, warning and teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may present every person complete in Messiah. To this end I labor, striving with all His strength which is powerfully at work in me".

Even though Paul is in prison and suffering for the crime of bringing the gospel to the Gentiles, he is rejoicing that many are coming to know Yeshua as the Messiah. There is still much for him to experience of suffering though before his race is run. He became a servent to the gospel by direct commission from God and it was especially given to him to take it to the Gentiles. That's not to say that it was taken away from the Jew, it was not. (Rom 1:16; Rom 2:9-10; Lk 24:47; Act 1:8; Act 3:26; Act 13:46) but the Gentiles had not previously been encluded in being God's people yet now they are. Yes, it was always in God's plan, but until after the cross, it was not a commission from God to start preaching to the Gentile and to actively begin bringing them in.

But now God had revealed this mystery of salvation to the Gentile too. In the book of Acts, God reveals it to Peter in a vision? God showed Peter to not call the Gentiles unclean and to welcome them in to receive the gospel as well...twice Peter explains that interpretation of his vision. See Act 10:34-43 and Act 11:1-18 (food is only the tool used by God to get the message of accepting the Gentiles across). Yeshua, the Jewish Messiah was to the Gentile too. :clap:

Pauls mission was not only to tell but to also warn and teach in all the things of wisdom. A question to ask yourself is, "what did Paul teach from?" The only scriptures written for them to study was the Tenach (what Christians call the Old Testiment) Why? So that each of them, and now us, may be presented as completed to Messiah. To make sure they were not just half-way taught, but complete. Paul strived for and all his strength was put into making sure that they heard, understood, and correctly applied their knowledge to their walk in the Spirit. He didn't want people running around, claiming to be followers of Yeshua yet living as they pleased in their wickedness.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Gaining Stability in Faith
Col 2:1-5

"I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those in Laodicea, as well as for those who have still not seen me face to face. My purpose is that their hearts, joined together in love, may be encouraged. May they have all the riches of the full assurance of understanding, leading to a true knowledge of the mystery of God—that is, Messiah. In Him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden. I am telling you this so that no one will deceive you with persuasive-sounding arguments. For even though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit—rejoicing to see your good order and the steadfastness of your trust in Messiah."

Paul desires that they know how much he struggles for them. And not just them in Colesse, but those in Laodicea as well as all other congregations where they have never met him in person. What is he struggling over? For starters, while he's heard of their great faith he's also heard of their lukewarmess.

Paul has just compared them with the Laodiceans...See Rev 3:15-17. See here a more sensible interpretation of hot vs cold vs lukewarm. What Paul was searching for in the Colossians and Laodiceans, and all those who were reading his letters was not just faith tjat made them feel all warm and fuzzy, but extreme God-like living. Hot or cold, both temperatures are good and have their purpose in supplying what a body needs, but lukewarm was good for nothing. There is no middle ground in serving God. Yes, we are saved by faith, but once we're saved, in thought, word, and deed we are to start looking like Messiah Yeshua.

Paul desired greatly to meet them, and for them to see the anquish he was experiencing for them with the reports he was getting on their behavior and the heresies they were adopting and spreading. It's the same today, there are so many heresies throughout the body of believers and those heresies are causing people to concentrate on silly teachings and not growing in the true wisdom and knowledge of God's word...all of it. The fact they were believing things that were not in God's word was bringing much grief to Paul.

Paul desired that their hearts would come together in love and that they be encouraged. He wanted them to have the full understanding that led them to the true knowledge of the mystery of God, found in Yeshua Messiah. In Yeshua, all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden. That is why it's so important to know who He is...refer back and meditate on chapter 1 verses 15-23. Paul considered it important, so should we. When Yeshua died on the cross it was about us, but now it's all about Yeshua, not us. We are to search and dig for the treasures that are hidden in Him.

As we find those treasures of wisdom and knowledge we will grow and mature and we won't be offended easily, we won't stumble so frequently, and we won't be so depressed and self-absorbed, and led astray from the correct teachings. Paul desired that they not be led astray by persusive arguments that taught contrary to what God says. False Doctrine 101: If God's word does not say it...it's not true. If there is no example of it anywhere in scripture, it's most likely false teaching. I've known preachers and teachers who made fun of those who lived by this rule, but those commended in scripture for it are the Bereans.

Paul encourages them that even though he's absent from them in body he's with them in spirit and he's looking forward to seeing and hearing a good report of their gaining discipline and stability in their faith.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Do Not Be Deceived
Col 2:6-10

"Therefore as you received Messiah Yeshua as Lord, so continue to walk in Him— rooted and built up in Him and established in your faith just as you were taught, overflowing with thankfulness. See that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men and the basic principles of the world rather than Messiah. For all the fullness of Deity lives bodily in Him, and in Him you have been filled to fullness. He is the head over every ruler and authority.

The Colossian congregation was made up of born Jewish and those not born Jewish. According to Act 15:19-21 the new believers, Jewish and non-Jewish learned and continued learning the ways of God as God gave them to Moses to teach the people. Beyond the Sabbath gatherings, they also had fellowship gatherings which are shown as happening on the first day of the week, (Act 20:7; 1 Cor 15:1-2) They attended Synagogue on the weekly Sabbath (7th day of the week) and learned scripture as directly spoken by God. While Moses was a man, these are not man-made laws, althugh, many man-made laws were added through time, but not to the scriptures.

"As you received Messiah as Lord, continue to walk in Him". They were to be rooted, built up, and established in the faith that brought them salvation and do it with thankfulness. Make sure that no one deceives you and you find yourself grasping doctrines that are not in accordance with what was taught by Yeshua...not holding to man-made traditions.

"Don't", Paul says, "follow the philosoplies of the world". Since Paul is so emphatic on who Yeshua is, appairently, the Colossians were hearing the philosophy that Yeshua was not God. However, Paul again states that Yeshua is God, "all the fullness of Diety lives bodily in Him". (Is 9:5) Yeshua was not an imitation, he was not an angel, he was not just a human who somehow managed to live perfectly, but He is God and in Him we are filled to fullness. He is the head over every ruler and authority, which would include the ruler and authority of our flesh and it's worldly desires.

I can't say that I perfectly understand it, but I kind of see it as in His flesh he ws human, but the spirit living in that human flesh, was God, literally. His flesh could have ruled, however, He lived according to the Spirit in Him, and now we too can walk in righteousness. Christ who lives in us gives us the strength to overcome the flesh. (Phil 4:13)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Circumcision Of The Heart
Col 2:11-15

In Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision done not by hand, in the stripping away of the body of the flesh through the circumcision of Messiah. You were buried along with Him in immersion, through which you also were raised with Him by trusting in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. When you were dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive together with Him when He pardoned us all our transgressions. He wiped out the handwritten record of debts with the decrees against us, which was hostile to us. He took it away by nailing it to the cross. After disarming the principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in the cross.

Paul now uses a regular Jewish ritual of circumcision of the human flesh to explain what has happened in their hearts...in their "knower" as one of my Pastors use to say. :) Circumcision of the heart (Deut 30:6; Jer 4:4; Deut 10:16) is a cutting away by God's hands of the flesh and its bondage to sin from the heart. A spiritual stripping away of the flesh through Messiah and coming into agreement with Him. This is spiritually what happens when we put our faith and trust in Yeshua for our salvation from our debt to sin.

When we are baptized it is a symbol of being buried along with Him and then also being raised with Him. In doing so we are demonstrating what God has done in our heart. Going down in the water represents our death and burial and raising up out of the water we are raised with Him from the dead. Dead to sin and alive in Christ.

In verse 13 it is made clear that Paul is speaking to the non-Jew...to the Gentiles. I don't know the ratio was but my guess is that there were more Gentiles than Jews in attendance. He refers to their un-circumcision of the flesh, which he could only say in regarding a Gentile. "When you were dead in your sins AND your flesh had not been circumcised", God awoke in you the faith that caused you to believe on Him and He made you alive together with Him. Circumcision of the foreskin of the penis does not save us from our sins but it's through the total reliance upon what Yeshua did at the cross that we are forgiven of our sins and God circumcises our heart...He strips away the part of our inner us and frees us from slavery to its desires and demands. I believe that God does the stripping immediately, but we take a lifetime to adjust.

When we were pardoned from our sins we became alive together with Him. He wiped out the ledger of debt of our sin kept on us. Yeshua took that debt away by nailing it to the cross. He disarmed...He took away the weapons used by the enemies of our souls who taunt us and dangle our sins constantly before us and He made them a public spectacle. The cross with that ledger of debt nailed to it, was His triumph over them. Through Him we have the ability, the strength to overcome instead of being overcome. (Phil 4:13)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Danger Of False Wisdom
Col 2:16-23

"Therefore, do not let anyone pass judgment on you in matters of food or drink, or in respect to a festival or new moon or Shabbat. These are a foreshadowing of things to come, but the reality is Messiah. Let no one disqualify you by insisting on false humility and worship of angels—going into detail about what he has seen, puffed up without cause by his fleshly mind. He is not holding fast to the Head. It is from Him that the whole body, nourished and held together by its joints and tendons, grows with a godly increase. If you died with Messiah to the basic principles of the world, why—as though living in the world—do you subject yourselves to their rules? “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!” These all lead to decay with use, based as they are on man-made commands and teachings. Indeed, these are matters that have an appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and self-denial of the body—yet none are of any value for stopping indulgence of the flesh."

So far Paul has explained who Yeshua Messiah is and what He did for us. Because of His qualification as Messiah over those who have put their faith and trust in Him, we are not to allow anyone to pass judgement on us for celebrating in the manner that God set forth in food, drink, festivals, and Shabbats. Remember Paul is addressing the Gentile believers (see V 13 in reference to their being un-circumcised and there was no such thing as an uncircumcised Jew).

According to the debate that took place between Paul and Barnabus and the elders (Act 15:6-21), it was concluded and judged by the apostle Jacob (AKA James) that in order to not burden the new believing Gentiles with all the rules and regulations of Judaism, instructed them only to:

1. Abstain from the contamination of idols.
  2. Abstain from sexual immorality.
  3. Abstain from eating animals that have been strangled.
  4. Abstain from eating or drinking the blood of animals.
It was pointed out that "the rest" would be learned each Sabbath in Synagogue attendence V21. It was assumed the new believers were attending Synagogue on Sabbath (the 7th day of the week) and learning and walking Torah.

So, the Colossian believing Gentiles were learning and walking in Torah to the best of their understanding, desire, and ability to abstain from what God said was not food for them (Lev 10:10; Lev 11:47; Lev 20:25) , and celebrating God's Feasts: Passover: Lev 23:5; Feast of Unleavened Bread: ( the 7 days following Passover; Lev 23:6-14; Shavuot (AKA Day of Pentecost): Lev 23:15-22; Feast of Trumpets (AKA Rosh Hashana): Lev 23:23-25; Day of Atonement (AKA Yom Kippur): Lev 23:26-32; Feast of Tabernacle AKA Sukkot):Lev 23:33-43; and The Last Great Day which is a seperate festival on the 8th day at the end of Sukkot: Lev 23:36-39.

According to Paul's words, (paraphrased) "Don't let anyone pass judgment on you in your doing and how you do them", because of their following Torah instructions they were being judged, criticized, and mocked. One side was putting unncessary rules regarding observance, and the other was judging because they observed at all.

Paul was encouraging them to continue in what they had been learning from Torah. Not to be discouraged by the Judaizers who were telling them they needed to do this and that along WITH the observance or their unbelieving Gentile family and friends who were criticizing them for doing Jewish things.

No believer has to do these things in order to be more holy or saved. Doing them does not save you, nor does not doing them un-save you. However, Paul points out that the feasts represent events from the past and events we are looking forward to in the future.

We are free to observe or not to observe the rules concerning Jewish dietary laws or Jewish holidays (Rom 14; 1 Cor 8). Just don't put yourselves into legalistic perversion of Torah. Don't do it because you think you "have" to but if you want to you are free to and no-one, especially our fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord should be judging us on that.

Paul continues in V18. (paraphrased)"Don't let anyone defraud you in your freedom in Christ"

That does not mean that we are free to sin. (Rom 6:1-23) What we know is right it is sin to not do it (Jms 4:17). To know something is wrong and to consider it and do it anyway is called rebellion and that is compared to witchcraft (1 Sam 15:23)
"Don't let anyone interfere with your running of the race by doing things for the purpose of making yourself look more humble. Following after angels and telling everyone all the details of what God shows you privately or bragging about how much time you spend in Bible study and prayers. It only shows how unattached you are from the authority of Yeshua "who is the head of the body and is supplied and knit together by its joints and ligaments, and grows with the [growth that can come only] from God." (AMP version of V19)

If we've died with Messiah to the basic principles of the world why do we act as if we are still living in the world by submitting ourselves to the man-made rules and regulations of serving HIM? "Don't handle, don't taste, don't touch". Yes, stringently adhering to the man-made rules of self-denial and humility gives the appearance of wisdom yet none of it is of any value in stopping the indulgence of our flesh desires...our old nature. We are saved only by our faith and trust in Yeshua, not by following all the rules and regulations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Seek The Things That Are Higher
Col 3:1-4

Therefore, if you have been raised up with Messiah, keep seeking the things above—where Messiah is, sitting at the right hand of God. Focus your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Messiah in God. When Messiah, who is your life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him, in glory!

So while eating clean food, and observing God's feasts and festivals are optional, what is not optional is continuing on in the lifestyle of those who are not believers on Yeshua...the heathen. When we sincerely repent of our sin and turn our backs on our former wicked ways of life we are considered to be "dead to sin" but have become alive to God through Yeshua Messiah. The pull of sin is still in our flesh, but our spirit has been awakened and raised up with Yeshua unto heavenly things (Rom 6:11). Spiritually our minds have been awakened to the things of God...an awakening that the life we were living was sinful. Through that awakening, we now have the power available to us (1 Jn 4:4) to be overcomers of what our flesh demands instead of being overcome by our fleshly desires. We are free to live holy lives. However, if we are not seeking the heavenly things of God, change in our flesh and not giving in to it is not automatic.

We must learn to seek after the things of God and deny our flesh by submitting to His ways of holiness. Paul referred to it as boxing or wrestling with the flesh to make it submit. (1 Cor 9:26; Eph 6:12)

See Yeshua's prayer in Jn 17:14-19. While our flesh still wants to answer the "call of sin" His laws on our hearts are screaming louder. We don't always listen though, then afterword say, "I couldn't help myself" but that's a lie...we can help ourselves by calling on God for the strength we need. It's not easy (See Rom 7). It is through our constant, continual seeking of God and His ways that the knowledge and strength that comes through Him is available, but we have to use it. It's like having the available body-building resources to look like and have the strength of "The Rock", but never using them, and remaining flabby weaklings.

We are to focus our minds on Him. See Phil 4:8. It tells us exactly the things we are to think on:

In God are all these things and in seeking them, we are seeking Him, and when we search for Him with all our heart we will find Him. (Deut 4:29; Prov 8:17; Jer 29:13). The object is not to withdraw from the world, being weird where nobody knows what the heck we're talking about but being the sanity in it. Bringing the Good News to a world that desperately needs to hear it, not only in word, but in deed.

It's a never-ending growing process over our lifetime. Go after HIM with gusto and don't be discouraged. When Yeshua is revealed in glory, we will be revealed with Him. :clap:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Throw Those Old Dirty Clothes Away
Col 3:5-11

Therefore, put to death what is earthly in you—sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire, and greed—for that is idolatry. Because of such things God’s wrath is coming upon the sons of disobedience. At one time you also walked in these ways, when you used to live in these ways. But now, set them all aside—anger, rage, malice, slander, and foul language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another. After all, you have taken off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self that is being renewed in knowledge, according to the image of the One who created him. Here there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, savage, slave and free; but Messiah is all, and in all.

Paul has just told them being "raised with Messiah" they are to go after and seek the higher things of the Kingdom of God. While focusing on the details of Torah life is good, they needed to focus more on the higher things that work the changes in ones heart, not just their outward activities of service.

We begin this focusing on higher things by considering whatever is earthly in us as dead. We are to ignore our sinful urges, don't listen to them, don't feed them. (Gal 5:16) We are to deliberately rid our behavior of these activities. Don't give in to what is unholy. It's something we work on and with the power of the Holy Spirit overcome. Those who refuse to do so are considered "sons of disobedience" and they will experience God's wrath.

The list he makes is:

• Sexual immorality
  • Impurity
  • Lust
  • Evil desires
  • Greed, which is idolotry
  • Anger
  • Rage
  • Malace
  • Slander
  • Foul language
  • Lying
Paul points out that this was their previous way of life, but now they are to set it all aside. In our being raised with Christ we have taken off the old and put on the new which is continually being renewed. We've got new clothes on, clothes that are different from what we're use to. We are not to behave the same in these new clothes as we behaved in our old dirty ones.

When we fall we repent and start again, don't just lay there and wallow in the mud puddle you fell in. We run to Yeshua and repent, get up and continue on with Him.

This instruction is applicable to all, there is no discrimination. To Jew and Gentile, whether circumcised or un-circumcised, stranger, or savage, slave or free. Messiah is all, and in all.

The Messiah is who gives significance to everything, which is the basis of equality among the many varieties of believers. ~The Complete Jewish Study Bible~

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Circle Back: Post #9

I came upon this interesting video this morning regarding the circumcising of our hearts. I thought it would complement nicely and is quite informative.

How to Circumcise Your Heart

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Put On The New Clothes He's Given Us
Col 3:12-17

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves in tender compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience— bearing with one another and forgiving each other, if anyone has a grievance against another. Just as the Lord pardoned you, so also you must pardon others. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfect harmony. Let the shalom of Messiah rule in your hearts—to this shalom you were surely called in one body. Also, be thankful. Let the word of Messiah dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another with all wisdom in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Yeshua, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

In the last portion of scripture, Paul tates that if we refuse to throw off our old dirty clothes and put on the one's God has provided we are "sons of disobedience" and will not fit in at the wedding (see Matt 22:1-14). However, when we do begin throwing them off and putting on the new it is the fruit of prrof that we are God's shosen and we are holy and dearly loved by Him.

God has provided us the spiritual clothes we are to put on, just like in the parable. The grooms Father has provided the proper attire, but the guests must undress and redress themselves. God works in us the desire to change but He does not do that for us like we are paperdolls. These are things that we must work at to force our flesh into compliance. Some things may come easy, so we think, then there are others that just get us all riled up and want to fight to keep. But we must not intentionally keep any of the old on...period.

Here's the list Paul gives of how our new clothes look:

• Tender Compassion.
  • Kindness.
  • Humility.
  • Gentleness.
  • Patience.
  • Bearing With One-Another.
  • Forgiving Each Other.
  • Love.
  • Let The Peace of Messiah Rule In Your Heart.
  • Be Thankful.
  • Let The Word (Gods instructions) of Messiah Dwell In You Richly.
  • Teach and Admonish With Wisdom And Psalms and Hymns, and Spiritual Songs.
  • Sing With Gratitude In Your Heart To God
  • Whatever You Do In Word or Deed, Do All In The Name of Yeshua
  • Give Thanks To God The Father Through Him, Yeshua
While it would be wonderful if we became completely accomplished in all of this spiritual clothing, there is a lifetime of our flesh adjusting to the fit. See Rom 7. We must force our sinful nature into fitting in to the new clothes God has provided.

See 1 Cor 9:24-27. This means that when you are tempted to sin you punish your flesh with resistence. It's not cutting or whipping or crawling on your knees to show how humble you are. It's about forcing yourself to not say that unkind word, or not give in to the desire to sleep with someone you're not married to, or not stealing that item, etc.. If you have to run out of the room, RUN! So what if you look foolish. So what if the others think you're an idiot and gossip about you. The real shame is on them, not you.

As Gods chosen, holy, and dearly loved people, clothe yourselves in the clothes that God has provided.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Orderly, Mutual Relationships
Col 3:18-4:1

Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not become harsh toward them.

Wives, submit...It does not say cower, it does not say obey in the manner that you are the lesser or like he is the parent and you are the child. It also does not say that you have no say in the matter but if when there is discussion that you do not fight and resist what he, after praying (assuming he's a god-fearing man) and considering your thoughts and opinons decides, that you, the wife, do not fly off the handle and it becomes your way or the highway.

If you believe your husband is wrong go over your husbands head and take it to God and trust that if your husband is wrong that God will intervene. Trust that God will take care of you and which ever one of you is missing it, it will be revealed by your obedience to God and not arguing and causing disruption in the family...not in weakness, but in strength.

Abram was a god-fearing man yet made a decision out of his own fear and put his wife Sarai in a bad situation. Even though it does not clearly say she took it to God, I'm sure she did, and God intervened. (Gen 12:10-20) I think too that Sarai probably would have spoken up if it had gone the length it could have, but God intervened.

The point is that husband and wife are one and according to God, the husband is directly responsible to HIM for the direction the family goes. The wife must not interfere with that relationship. She must walk in the manner that God has called her and in doing so teach her children how to be with their spouces when they have one and how to trust God.

Husband, love your wive. She is your equil, not your servant, not your child. You are not responsible for her thoughts and feelings. Listen to her and consider what she has to asay. Don't just make decisions and tell her she as to follow. Don't order her around. You are the leader, not the boss.

Children, obey your parents in every respect, for this is pleasing to the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, so they will not become discouraged.

Children, obey your parents. There is the assumption the parents are not telling their kids to do things that are destructive and or breaking the law. Yet, again, if the parent is doing that then kids, you too can go over their head and take it directly to God and trust HIM to intervene on your behalf.

Parents, stop doing things that are frustrating to your children. Don't make fun of the things they enjoy or like. If they want to be a cartoon animator, then encourage them in it. If they want to be a dancer encourage them in being a dancer that glorifies God, else they later rebel and dance in shameful manners. Don't keep trying to push them into things they don't enjoy just because in your eyes it's a better occupation. Directing them is one thing, pushing them in a way they do not want to go is another.

The same as with each other, take it to God and let Him deal with it. He made their heart and has a plan for them that is the best for them.

Stop correcting every little thing that they do that you don't like with making them feel foolish for liking it. Encourage them. Teach them by doing, not by standing over them yelling at them how stupid they are for not already knowing it.

Slaves, obey your human masters in every respect—not just within your master’s sight as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it from the soul, as for the Lord and not for people. For you know that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as a reward. It is to the Lord Messiah you are giving service. For the one doing wrong will be paid back for what he did wrong, and there is no favoritism.

Slaves in this setting were people who had become indebted in some way and were sold or they sold themselves and/or their own children in order to work off debts. In today's world it is most comparable to employer and employee. The employee should do what they've been hired to do and not resist, unless you're being told to break the law. Do what you are paid to do. You are not paid to sit around and talk, even if it's about Jesus. Demonstrate Jesus by doing what you're being paid to do. You will be a better witness that way.

Be a good worker even when your employer is not looking. Even if the employer is unfair, work for God and God will make sure you receive the reward HE has for you.
Masters, give your slaves what is just and fair, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.

Bosses, be as fair and just to your workers as you can be. Don't be greedy and withhold if you can do better and they deserve it. Treat them well and don't disrespect them and yell and curse at them when they make a mistake. Don't just tell them how bad they are doing but tell them when they do it right and for goodness sake don't use that word, "but". It undoes everything good you said before it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Devote Yourselves To Prayer
Col 4:2-6

Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, keep praying for us as well, that God may open up to us a door for the message, to proclaim the mystery of Messiah—for which I am in prison. Pray that I may make the mystery clear, as I ought to speak. Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, to know how you ought to answer everyone.

Speaking to them all Paul says, "Devote yourselves to prayer". We are all called to devote ourselves to prayer; husbands, wives, children, employees, and employers.

Paul requests that they continue to pray for him and the others who are with him and are ministering to him. He requests specifically that they pray for God to open the door for them to share the message of the gospel and proclaim the mystery of Messiah...which is the reason he is in prison. He's in prison for preaching the gospel and he's asking them to pray that more doors would be opened so he can preach more. He asks them to pray that he would be able to make the mystery of Messiah clear and that he would say things in a way that would be understood.Wow.

He then tells them to conduct themselves with wisdom when dealing with outsiders, the unbelievers.

Really brothers and sisters, we cannot be screaming at people that they're going to hell and expect them to understand clearly the gospel of Messiah. We just do not see that behavior exampled for us anywhere by the disciples. What we do see exampled for us is conversation.

In Acts, we see several times, the believers taking advantage of the availability of the town square to speak on whatever anyone wanted to speak about. At one of the synagogues on Paul's travels, Paul and the brothers with him joined in with the synagogue service on Sabbath and only spoke when they were perceived to be religious men and were invited up to speak. Then, when the service was over and they were standing around outside all the Gentiles got curious, Paul said, come back next Sabbath to find out how "all your sins are forgiven" and the next week the whole town showed up.

The point is we're supposed to do what God shows us to do for that moment with those particular people. Many are too busy being someone else instead of themselves filled with Yeshua. We're not supposed to be Smith Wigglesworth, or Jesse Duplantis, or Oral Roberts, we're supposed to be Joe, and Jane, and Betty filled with Holy Spirit and walking in faith for right here and right now. Just be real...that's what the unbelievers want to see.

Devote yourselves to prayer putting your faith in the Holy Spirits guidance and you will go where you need to go and be where you need to be and say and do what you need to say and do. You don't need to force it or to scream at people.

Make the most of every opportunity to share Messiah Yeshua and His willingness to "forgive all their sins". Let your speech always be with grace and seasoned with salt (note he said "seasoned" as for taste, not in cleaning out a wound that brings a lot of pain to the recipient.) so that you can properly answer everyone in the right way. The only time we see Yeshua being "salty" (as in cleaning the wound) with his words was when he talked with the self-righteous religious people, but we never see Yeshua talking such to the hurting and dying.

Devoting ourselves to prayer is essential.

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/pauls-letter-to-the-colossians.8204476/#post-75974763

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Further Instructions
Col 4:7-18

Tychicus—a dearly loved brother and trustworthy servant and fellow slave to the Lord—will tell you all the news about me. I sent him to you for this very purpose, so you may know about us and he may encourage your hearts. With him I sent Onesimus—a faithful and dear brother, who is one of your own. They will tell you about everything here.

Paul is now winding down his letter. He referes to Tychicus. He calls him a dearly loved and trustworthy brother and servant and fellow slave to the Lord. He tells them that Tychicus will give them further news about him. I would assume that would include his living conditions, his health, his needs, etc.. The very reason Paul is sending him is for this purpose...so that they won't be in the dark about what is going on, the good, and maybe the not so good. Paul wanted them to be incouraged though, not sad and discouraged.

Along with Tychicus, Paul is also sending Onesimus. Paul calls him a faithful and dear brother who had come to him from their (the Colossians) congregation. He and Tychicus would tell them everything going on.
My fellow prisoner Aristarchus sends you his greetings, as does Mark, the cousin of Barnabas. (You received instructions about him—if he comes your way, welcome him.) Yeshua who is called Justus also sends his greetings. These are the only fellow workers for the kingdom of God that are from among the circumcision—they have been a comfort to me.

Greetings is being sent from Aristarchus who is with Paul. Also greetings from Mark, the cousin of Barnabas. Paul mentions previous instructions regarding Mark if he came their way. There was an earlier dispute between Paul and Mark and we see here that Paul was not holding any grudges and he tells them to welcome Mark. He also mentions a man named Yeshua aka Justice (Yeshua was his Jewish name, Justice his Gentile name, just as Sha'ul was Paul's Jewish name and Paul his Gentile name) who sends his greetings to them. Aristarchus, Mark, and Yeshua Justice are the only ones from the Jewish believers that were a great comfort to him.
Epaphras, who is one of your own, a slave of Messiah Yeshua, greets you. He is always laboring in prayer on your behalf, so you may stand complete and fully assured about everything that is God’s will. For I testify that he has gone to much trouble for you and for those in Laodicea and Hierapolis. Luke, the dearly loved physician, sends you greetings, and so does Demas.

Epaphras, who is also one of their own also sends his greetings. He is always laboring in prayer on their behalf. His desire for his fellow Colossians is that they may stand complete and fully assured in everything that God has for them. Epaphras is a hard worker and has taken great effort to be of aid to his home congregation as well as to the congregation in Laodicea and Hierapolis. Also greetings are sent from Luke, the physician and Demas.
Greet the brothers and sisters in Laodicea, as well as Nympha and the community that meets in her house. When this letter has been read among you, make sure that it is also read in Messiah’s community of Laodicea. In turn, you should read my letter coming from Laodicea.

Paul tells them to greet the brothers and sisters in Laodicea and Nympha who's house the Laodicean congregation met at. When the Colossians finished with Paul's letter to them they were to pass it on to Ladicea as well as read the letter from him to the Laodiceans would be passed on to them.
Tell Archippus, “See to it that you complete the service you have received in the Lord, that you may fulfill it.”

Paul tells them to tell Archippus to see to it that you complete all that God has called you to and serviced you for.
"This greeting is in my own hand—Paul’s. Remember my chains!

Grace be with you."

Paul is letting them know he's written the letter himself and asks them to "remember his chains".

Let us remember those who are persecuted and dying for their faith in Yeshua in many countries...China, Iran are just a couple. Here is a website Voice Of The Martyrs where you can read what is happening in other places and if you are not doing so already begin praying for them and lifting them up before the Lord as Epaphras did. Don't turn your eyes and ears away because it may be difficult for you to see and hear. If it were you, you would want your fellow believers lifting you up in prayer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0