Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well I'm having trouble with the whole "rightly divide" thing.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Now as I understand it, Pauline Dispensationalist say this means to divide the bible into what is written to the Body of Christ (the church which has some Jews in it who accept Jesus as their saviour) and what is written to the nation of Israel. The problem I have is that the surrounding verses don't hold up that interpretation.

2 Timothy 2:11-19 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself. Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
In verses 2:11-14 Paul talks about correcting people who would subvert believers I.E. False teachers. In verses 16-19 he again is telling Timothy about false teachers. I don't see Paul breaking his train of thought to tell Timothy to divide the word into who it applies to , but rather to stick to the truth when dealing with false teachers. Have I misunderstood where Pauline Dispensationalist stand on this verse?

Upvote 0

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
twistedsketch said:
There are a few on here. I don't agree with a lot of their beliefs, such as baptism being obsolete.
Their beliefs make sense if you accept that 2 Timothy 2:15 means that the only part of the bible that is to us as Gentiles and to believing Jews are the Epistles of Paul. The rest of the bible is to Israel.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Telrunya said:
Well it is not that difficult to grasp. Paul was telling Timothy to study the scriptures carefully and properly. Now we know that parts of scripture were written to Israel for example the Old Testament Law was for Israel however that is not for the church and so Timothy was to 'rightly divide' the scriptures and therein be safe from Judaizers etc who were on the prowl for unstudied Christians.

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Telrunya said:
Their beliefs make sense if you accept that 2 Timothy 2:15 means that the only part of the bible that is to us as Gentiles and to believing Jews are the Epistles of Paul. The rest of the bible is to Israel.

I stand by my deleted comment. :p

Upvote 0

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟16,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Telrunya said:

I have a few thoughts for you to consider on the matter. I have always taken the phrase "rightly dividing" to mean "correctly understanding." This makes more sense to me when taken in context with the rest of the verse. Of course, correctly understanding can include realizing that some books are addressed to Gentiles and some to Jews. But the position taken by some that some of the Bible is meant for Jews and some for Gentiles can lead to the practice of ignoring portions that are meant to be instructive to all of us. Whereas reading further into 2 Timothy to verses 16 & 17 of chapter 3 shows us that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

I hope that is helpful to you.

Upvote 0

Terral

Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
✟21,357.00
Faith
Christian
Telrunya, AV:
Telrunya >> Well I'm having trouble with the whole "rightly divide" thing.
AV’s Reply >> Well it is not that difficult to grasp. Paul was telling Timothy to study the scriptures carefully and properly. Now we know that parts of scripture were written to Israel for example the Old Testament Law was for Israel however that is not for the church and so Timothy was to 'rightly divide' the scriptures and therein be safe from Judaizers etc who were on the prowl for unstudied Christians.

Rightly dividing (cutting straight) the word is truth is about much more than separating commands to Israel versus our church for today. Christ was addressing the Israel only (Matt. 15:24) and those obedient to the ‘gospel of the kingdom’ (Matt. 4:23) in the Four Gospels. He was fulfilling Prophecy and gathering the members of the prophetic ‘bride’ (John 3:29) who were to remain under Mosaic Law.
"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.” Matt. 5:18.

James is addressing the same Kingdom ‘church’ (Matt. 16:16-18, 18:17) in his Epistle, saying,
“For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.” James 2:10.

Those who believed the ‘gospel of the kingdom’ (Matt. 24:14) had sins forgiven through repentance and water baptism (Mark 1:4, Acts 2:38). Some of their number are mentioned in Acts 21 as being ‘believers’ who are ‘zealous for the Law.’ Acts 21:20. However, the members of the ‘body of Christ’ (Eph. 4:12) are saved by God’s grace through faith apart from works of any kind. Eph. 2:8+9. They are under grace and not under law. Rom. 6:14. Our mystery ‘His body’ church (Col. 1:24) of today is under the ‘dispensation of God’s grace’ (Eph. 3:2) and the stewardship of the Apostle Paul. Therefore, his words represent Christ’s final marching orders to us today.
“If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment. But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.” 1Cor. 14:37+38.

Rightly dividing the word of truth is recognizing that James is addressing the kingdom bride (twelve tribes; James 1:1) when saying that they are justified by 'works and not by faith alone.' James 2:24. Paul is writing ‘to us,’ saying that we are justified by faith apart from works.
“Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from worksRom. 4:4-6.

Paul’s words are written to the body of Christ in the world today, while Hebrews – Revelation were written to the kingdom disciples of the coming restored Kingdom of Israel on the earth. Rightly dividing the word of truth is more about knowing the difference between commands given to the Prophetic ‘bride’ (John 3:29) and the mystery ‘body’ (Eph. 5:30+32) than anything else.

In Christ,

Terral

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.