Paul Washer On Struggling With Sin vs Habitual Sin

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From my knowledge of the book of revelation, the Jews are still Gods elect people. They have refused Christ as the new covenant yes. The whole book of revelation is focused on Israel.
I believe it's about the temple being taken over by the anti christ (abomination of desolation). The temple is in israel. All gentile nations come against Israel because of the anti christ and Israel or the Jews have to flee to the mountains and gentile nations to escape the atrocities caused by Satan. I think from the study I did a few years ago that God reveals himself afterwards and the Jews then believe in Jesus as their messiah.
The Jews believe that God did not break covenant with them and refuse His new covenant aka Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately I'm only a Christian 4 years and am still seeking further knowledge of the bible. What I do know that end times involve the Jews. It's a primary focus in the book of revelation and all Israel will be saved. When Jesus comes the whole world mourns even those who have pierced Him. In romans 11, Paul talks about Israel being restored because they finally accept gods new covenant. They believe in Jesus Christ as the messiah and are saved from their sin.

Is this replacement theology?
As I said I am very young in my faith but I do know that studying the whole concept of Israel and the Jews is a job in and of itself.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this replacement theology?
No. Replacement theology (in a nutshell) says God is done with the Jews and all references to Jews or Israel now refers ONLY to the church.

Reactions: Jonathan Leo
Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Replacement theology (in a nutshell) says God is done with the Jews and all references to Jews or Israel now refers ONLY to the church.
Thanks for simplifying this for me.
Replacement theology then is a false teaching because clearly in revelation it states otherwise. The Jews have killed their messiah but due to God not being finished with the Jews, later repent of their errors when Christ returns.

The bible is a simple book to understand when you seek it with all your heart. Sher isn't the job of the Holy Spirit to reveal all truth to us. God is not a God of confusion but since there are lots of different theories, it shows just how lost the pastors and teachers of this era actually are.
We need to pray for their clarity in what is a simple book to understand.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have, in the past, really appreciated some of Paul Washer's sermons and messages. I do believe he is correct in regard to how serious sin is. However, I am troubled by his focus on a proper lifestyle being necessary for salvation, rather than understanding that following after Christ is discipleship and comes after a person is saved, by grace, through faith and not of works.

Sometimes people very openly teach "works based" salvation, sometimes it is much more subtle. Here is a statement found on Washer's ministry website, HeartCry Missionary Society:

1. Superficial Evangelism is one of the Great Obstacles to Missions. Non-theological preaching, entertaining skits, and Gospel films are no substitute for the biblical exposition of the Gospel. Inviting men to raise their hands and pray a prayer is no substitute for the biblical call to repentance, faith, and personal discipleship. Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
I agree with the first part of that. I do not agree that our "assurance of salvation" comes from examining our "enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture."

Our assurance of salvation is in Christ and what He has done for us, not in our "lifestyle". This is just another way of saying that we must look to ourselves and our own works and right living to be sure we are saved.

In contrast, Scripture tells us we can know we are saved because we trust and believe in what Christ has done. The Gospel is what saves, not our own "lifestyle." Assurance of salvation comes from "resting" in Christ through faith.

Our "lifestyle" as saved, born again believers, is discipleship. Salvation is a gift, not a reward for living right. Therefore, assurance in having received this gift comes from faith in Christ, not one's own "lifestyle."

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have, in the past, really appreciated some of Paul Washer's sermons and messages. I do believe he is correct in regard to how serious sin is. However, I am troubled by his focus on a proper lifestyle being necessary for salvation, rather than understanding that following after Christ is discipleship and comes after a person is saved, by grace, through faith and not of works.

Sometimes people very openly teach "works based" salvation, sometimes it is much more subtle. Here is a statement found on Washer's ministry website, HeartCry Missionary Society:

1. Superficial Evangelism is one of the Great Obstacles to Missions. Non-theological preaching, entertaining skits, and Gospel films are no substitute for the biblical exposition of the Gospel. Inviting men to raise their hands and pray a prayer is no substitute for the biblical call to repentance, faith, and personal discipleship. Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
I agree with the first part of that. I do not agree that our "assurance of salvation" comes from examining our "enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture."

Our assurance of salvation is in Christ and what He has done for us, not in our "lifestyle". This is just another way of saying that we must look to ourselves and our own works and right living to be sure we are saved.

In contrast, Scripture tells us we can know we are saved because we trust and believe in what Christ has done. The Gospel is what saves, not our own "lifestyle." Assurance of salvation comes from "resting" in Christ through faith.

Our "lifestyle" as saved, born again believers, is discipleship. Salvation is a gift, not a reward for living right. Therefore, assurance in having received this gift comes from faith in Christ, not one's own "lifestyle."
Our lifestyle doesn't save us, that's a work based teaching which is false, however, having faith in Jesus should produce fruit of the Holy Spirit within us. Faith without works is dead. This then can be mis read if you don't know what the whole saved by grace actually means.

We are hopeless sinners
Jesus came to save us from our sins but it is up to us and our free will to repent of our sinful nature and walk and trust in Jesus. If we remain in Christ we will be saved.
Believing in Jesus but not giving a hoot how you live your life will be our own destruction. Your faith in Jesus should produce good works.
The point of not being able to work your way to heaven is referring to the Masonic law. If we try to be saved by keeping the law, we are doomed. We cannot save ourselves in this way. The only way to be saved is to have faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Believing in Jesus means we have to work the way He says we need to.
Feeding the poor,
Helping the needy,
Forgiving others,
Stop living for ourselves,
Walking free from sin,
Taking up our own cross
Etc etc etc
Are these not works?? They most certainly are. We can't just accept the blood of Jesus as our sacrifice and sit on our deri airs.
Faith without works states your faith is dead. Meaning worthless.
There's a lot of confusion and a lot of false teaching out there. Want the truth? Read your bible, it's that simple

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Our lifestyle doesn't save us, that's a work based teaching which is false, however, having faith in Jesus should produce fruit of the Holy Spirit within us.

Of course, I never said otherwise.

Faith without works is dead. This then can be mis read if you don't know what the whole saved by grace actually means.

Yes. James was written to saved believers to chastise and correct them for failing to live out their faith by helping others.

We are hopeless sinners
Jesus came to save us from our sins but it is up to us and our free will to repent of our sinful nature and walk and trust in Jesus.

Biblical "repentance" is a change of mind. Metanoia in Greek. Here is the definition:

a change of mind, as it appears to one who repents, of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done

And here are several verses that give the Biblical "repentance" (metanoia) which is necessary for salvation.

Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. - Acts 19:4

20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house,

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. - Acts 20:20-21

"Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God..." - Hebrews 6:1

If we remain in Christ we will be saved.

All true believers are born again, have passed from death to life and are sealed by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. And Jesus has promised that He will lose none, that nothing can take us out of His hand and that He will never leave us or forsake us.

Believing in Jesus but not giving a hoot how you live your life will be our own destruction. Your faith in Jesus should produce good works.

Indeed. Who said anything about "not giving a hoot how you live your life"?

Or that faith shouldn't produce good works?

We are indeed saved unto good works.

The point of not being able to work your way to heaven is referring to the Masonic law. If we try to be saved by keeping the law, we are doomed. We cannot save ourselves in this way.

Indeed, (I think you meant "Mosaic" not "Masonic") But, yes, by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified in His sight.

The only way to be saved is to have faith and trust in Jesus Christ.

Agreed.

Believing in Jesus means we have to work the way He says we need to.
Feeding the poor,
Helping the needy,
Forgiving others,
Stop living for ourselves,
Walking free from sin,
Taking up our own cross
Etc etc etc

That is discipleship and is indeed something all believers should do as they walk in the good works prepared for them and grow in His grace and in Spiritual maturity.

Are these not works?? They most certainly are.

Of course they are. Those are good works we are saved unto.

We can't just accept the blood of Jesus as our sacrifice and sit on our deri airs.

I don't recall saying that...

However, the blood of Jesus is entirely enough to wash away all our sins. Our "good works" do not wash away or purge our sins, only Christ's one time and all sufficient sacrifice is able to do so. If feeding the hungry, clothing the naked etc. could wash away sins, Christ's death on the cross was entirely unnecessary. Or, if those "good works" need to be added to Christ's finished work, than His death on the cross and the shedding of His blood wasn't enough.

It's either God's grace or it's our works in regard to salvation, it cannot be both.

Faith without works states your faith is dead. Meaning worthless.

Again, James was written to already saved believers who were not living out their faith in the sight of other people.

We cannot see another person's heart, which is why James writes what he does and says that he will show his faith by his works. He was not telling anyone that they must work to earn or keep salvation.

There's a lot of confusion and a lot of false teaching out there. Want the truth? Read your bible, it's that simple

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for pointing mosaic spelling out to me lol

I know we can't add to the finished work of the cross. Our works show that we have faith, not to add to the wok of Jesus. Our works are produced by having faith.

One point I have to disagree with you though is that Jesus won't lose any of a His flock. Whilst this is true from His point of view, it doesn't mean that all are saved. With our free will, we can, and ultimately as the bible states, fall away from the faith.
A great apostasy will come in the last days.

Persevere to the end an you will be saved.

They were part of us but went out from us beccause they didn't belong to us.

Whilst Christ won't lose any, humans can lose their salvation themselves. It's God no interfering with mans free will.
I say these things to clarify the truth and in no way in a debate with you.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks for pointing mosaic spelling out to me lol

I know we can't add to the finished work of the cross. Our works show that we have faith, not to add to the wok of Jesus. Our works are produced by having faith.

One point I have to disagree with you though is that Jesus won't lose any of a His flock. Whilst this is true from His point of view, it doesn't mean that all are saved. With our free will, we can, and ultimately as the bible states, fall away from the faith.
A great apostasy will come in the last days.

Persevere to the end an you will be saved.

They were part of us but went out from us beccause they didn't belong to us.

Whilst Christ won't lose any, humans can lose their salvation themselves. It's God no interfering with mans free will.
I say these things to clarify the truth and in no way in a debate with you.

Fair enough. I disagree, but we won't "debate" further.

As you said, Scripture clearly tells us that those who "went out from us" did not "belong to us". (They were never Christ's "sheep.")

God bless.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't know who's heard of Paul Washer or listened to him. But I hope this is a blessing for others here as it was for me. The segment was published last week.

Paul Washer is correct in regard to the "willful sin" referred to in Hebrews, and that many do take those verses out of context.

Hebrews 10

1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised)

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;

33 Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used.

34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.

35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.

36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

The "will of the Father" is to believe on the Son.

The "willful sin" is to trample the Son of God underfoot, to count the blood of the covenant an "unclean thing" and to disdain the "Spirit of grace."

The "willful sin" is to reject the only sacrifice for sin, Jesus Christ. There is no other sacrifice for sin.

Yet, all too often people take those verses and put condemnation on others when they fail in the flesh. This is not Scripturally accurate and people must understand what the "willful sin" is according to God's word.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for simplifying this for me.
Replacement theology then is a false teaching because clearly in revelation it states otherwise. The Jews have killed their messiah but due to God not being finished with the Jews, later repent of their errors when Christ returns.

The bible is a simple book to understand when you seek it with all your heart. Sher isn't the job of the Holy Spirit to reveal all truth to us. God is not a God of confusion but since there are lots of different theories, it shows just how lost the pastors and teachers of this era actually are.
We need to pray for their clarity in what is a simple book to understand.
Yep.
Romans 11:28
Regarding the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but regarding election, they are loved on account of the patriarchs.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums