Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can understand some of that. But where in the Bible does it say that it will be "a Bible" that will be the absolute only posit of God's Truth in the World at large? [And by this question, I'm not implying that other World Religions somehow also count as equivalent forms of God's Truth in Christ.]

Last paragraph of the Bible says to not add anything to it.

Does this apply?

Not sure but if it does we had better be very careful.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last paragraph of the Bible says to not add anything to it.

Does this apply?

Not sure but if it does we had better be very careful.

M-Bob

No, that's not what it says, Bob. Better read it again, my friend. ;)

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can understand some of that. But where in the Bible does it say that it will be "a Bible" that will be the absolute only posit of God's Truth in the World at large? [And by this question, I'm not implying that other World Religions somehow also count as equivalent forms of God's Truth in Christ.]
If scripture is to interpret scripture, which it should, then the Bible is the Truth that as a whole is God's complete revelation of Truth.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If scripture is to interpret scripture, which it should, then the Bible is the Truth that as a whole is God's complete revelation of Truth.

There's no IF to it if the Bible itself doesn't say, "Wait for My Spirit, and in due time, I will form a 66 book collection, 27 of which will be 'New,' and then...have you spread 'it' around." No, that's not exactly what we read in the New Testament. In fact, there's nothing actually IN the writings of the New Testament writers telling us to expect the conglomerate collection of 27 books, letters, and some revelation. So, for us as Christians (typically as Protestants) to go all head-over-heels by ingesting and defending all of the assumptions about the biblical Canon that have been supposedly affirmed is, in some respects, to clamp down, shoe-horn, and otherwise stuff in a box, the person and work of the Holy Spirit. [....and I'm not even Charismatic or Pentecostal, and I'm saying this. :rolleyes: ]

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's no IF to it if the Bible itself doesn't say, "Wait for My Spirit, and in due time, I will form a 66 book collection, 27 of which will be 'New,' and then...have you spread 'it' around." No, that's not exactly what we read in the New Testament. In fact, there's nothing actually IN the writings of the New Testament writers telling us to expect the conglomerate collection of 27 books, letters, and some revelation. So, for us as Christians (typically as Protestants) to go all head-over-heels by ingesting and defending all of the assumptions about the biblical Canon that have been supposedly affirmed is, in some respects, to clamp down, shoe-horn, and otherwise stuff in a box, the person and work of the Holy Spirit. [....and I'm not even Charismatic or Pentecostal, and I'm saying this. :rolleyes: ]
I'm sorry, I'm not getting your complete point here.

I believe that God is powerful enough and made sure that what is included in those 66 books are His Truth and His Word.

It's not about the people who put the Bible together, but if God's Will was done in what was included and whether it is Truth.

I think it is. I think God made sure of it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry, I'm not getting your complete point here.

I believe that God is powerful enough and made sure that what is included in those 66 books are His Truth and His Word.

It's not about the people who put the Bible together, but if God's Will was done in what was included and whether it is Truth.

I think it is. I think God made sure of it.

My point is that there is STILL room for some tiny portions of the Spirit's work outside of the Bible, including visions, dreams and what have you. I'm not saying these are standard or should be expected (as Charismatics or Pentecostals might aver), but I am saying that we have little good reason to suppose that God ONLY works through His Word. Rather, He works By His Spirit and through His Church, in all of its various manifestations in the World.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My point is that there is STILL room for some tiny portions of the Spirit's work outside of the Bible, including visions, dreams and what have you. I'm not saying these are standard or should be expected (as Charismatics or Pentecostals might aver), but I am saying that we have little good reason to suppose that God ONLY works through His Word. Rather, He works By His Spirit and through His Church, in all of its various manifestations in the World.
I guess we just disagree.

God can speak through anything. But does He enough for me to assign value to a dream? Probably not.

What we know about dreams is often they mean nothing. Not even experts can agree on it.

I just have to be real about how the Holy Spirit has taught me over the last 30 years. Never been through dreams.

I think many people desire to hear tangibly from God and so assign it value. I think in 96.7 percent of cases it is a mistake.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really would like some advice on what you guys think my recent dream meant. I dreamt that I was catching a charter bus somewhere (not sure where) and Paul was the bus driver. When I walked on the bus and paid my fare I didn't recognize him (I have heard of him but have never really known who he was or his importance). He called me back up to him and just told me that God is real. Then when I turned my head I saw a bright light with a figure (it had to be Jesus) he knelt in front of me and showed me his head carrying his thorned crown. Paul kept saying do you see it, he's real! I felt peace, love, and was just so overwhelmed with my emotions that I fell back and started weeping in joy. I then woke up.

What do you think that means, if anything? Quick badckground on me: I've always been a believer and have had an intimate realtionship with God for about 10 years now (of course with the occasional times I've placed him on the back burner). This is my first time (that I can remember) seeing him in a dream though. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I remember Paul wrote about working with his hands to support people. He was a tent maker. Rabbis during the times of Jesus often had businesses or jobs to support themselves as the Romans and chief priests were already leaning on people for taxes, tithes and offerings. This information comes from Talmudic tractates of Judaism, Josephus, etc. Paul may have organized his churches similar to the way synagogues were organized. Paul stayed in some places months or over a year before moving on. Other times he became aware of plots against him and could not stay in one place long. Charter buses have been used by various groups. I used to see charter buses in Israel as church groups traveled around the Holy Land trying to learn the places of the Bible, visit museums, churches etc. Some churches have buses that gave rides to church members to and from church activities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I was curious as to why Paul appeared to me.
Sounds like you need to read and study the teachings of Paul in the Bible. The only connection I can find between Paul and the crown of thrones is his thorn in the flesh. Some people believe we partake in the suffering if Jesus so we can share in His Glory.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God can speak through anything. But does He enough for me to assign value to a dream? Probably not.

What we know about dreams is often they mean nothing. Not even experts can agree on it.

I just have to be real about how the Holy Spirit has taught me over the last 30 years. Never been through dreams.

I think many people desire to hear tangibly from God and so assign it value. I think in 96.7 percent of cases it is a mistake.

On this, I agree. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I personally think Christians evaluating their dreams is a slippery slope. I think that since it is so much of our subconscious mind in dreams they could mean anything. I am surprised so many Christians give them the time of day.

It seems to me that people are somewhat desperate to feel like they are hearing from God that they marks a big deal out of any dream that seems to be about God in any fashion.

I think it’s misleading and not a good thing for faith at all. Even trying to evaluate dreams at all I think is not good for a Christian. Stick with facts.
I don't take dreams too seriously, but I think sometimes we can learn from them.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'll give it 98.9%.
True I would never say 100%.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I really would like some advice on what you guys think my recent dream meant. I dreamt that I was catching a charter bus somewhere (not sure where) and Paul was the bus driver. When I walked on the bus and paid my fare I didn't recognize him (I have heard of him but have never really known who he was or his importance). He called me back up to him and just told me that God is real. Then when I turned my head I saw a bright light with a figure (it had to be Jesus) he knelt in front of me and showed me his head carrying his thorned crown. Paul kept saying do you see it, he's real! I felt peace, love, and was just so overwhelmed with my emotions that I fell back and started weeping in joy. I then woke up.

What do you think that means, if anything? Quick background on me: I've always been a believer and have had an intimate realtionship with God for about 10 years now (of course with the occasional times I've placed him on the back burner). This is my first time (that I can remember) seeing him in a dream though. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

It means you had a dream.
The Bible reveals things about Jesus and Saul, whom be also called Paul.
Abide in God's Word and apply it in your life each day.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may something you just need to bank and not really act on. An earlier poster said it may be to strengthen your faith. If you find your self in a situation where you are in over your head, like some other faith where the person is extremely skilled, you just remember that dream. ;)

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually every dream means something, its a matter of what it means. It could be information from recent events being processed, trying to sort things out, or a message.

And btw it doesn't always mean the message is for you. Someone could have read the OP, never responded, and know exactly what its talking about in their life. XD

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What do you think that means, if anything? Quick background on me: I've always been a believer and have had an intimate realtionship with God for about 10 years now (of course with the occasional times I've placed him on the back burner). This is my first time (that I can remember) seeing him in a dream though. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I think satan is trying to deceive you. You already knew Jesus was real. Why would you need a dream? You have the NT. And those accountings are accepted by faith.

Upvote 0