✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Paul bases his faith doctrine primarily on the books of Moses

Some try to pit Paul's teaching against those of James; but we must remember that these two were working together to bring us to the truth.

Chapter 4

1 What, then, shall we declare that Abraham, our forefather, according to flesh, has found?
2 For if Abraham was justified by acts, he has something to boast in, but not toward God.
3 For what is the scripture saying? Now "Abraham believes God, and it is reckoned to him for righteousness."

From the Torah

(CLV) Gn 15:6
Now Abram believed on Elohim, and He reckoned it to him for righteousness.

James adds more insight as to what Paul is showing us about faith obedience to YHWH.

(CLV) Ja 2:21
Abraham, our father, was he not justified by works when offering up his son Isaac on the altar?

(CLV) Ja 2:22
You are observing that faith worked together with his works, and by works was faith perfected.

4 Now to the worker, the wage is not reckoned as a favor, but as a debt.
5 Yet to him who is not working, yet is believing on Him Who is justifying the irreverent, his faith is reckoned for righteousness.
6 Even as David also is telling of the happiness of the man to whom God is reckoning righteousness apart from acts:
7 Happy they whose lawlessnesses were pardoned and whose sins were covered over!
8 Happy the man to whom the Lord by no means should be reckoning sin!

(CLV) Ps 32:1
Happy he whose transgression is lifted away, Whose sin is covered over!

(CLV) Ps 32:2
Happy the human to whom Yahweh is not reckoning depravity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit!

Why did YHWH forgive David's transgressions?

(CLV) Ps 32:5
My sin I am now acknowledging to You, And my depravity I do not cover over. I said, I shall confess against myself my transgressions to Yahweh, And You, You lift away the depravity of my sin. Interlude

Hmmm... That sounds like works; but James already explained in more detail how this works.

9 This happiness, then, is it for the Circumcision, or for the Uncircumcision also? For we are saying, "To Abraham faith is reckoned for righteousness."
10 How then, is it reckoned? Being in circumcision or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
11 And he obtained the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which was in uncircumcision, for him to be the father of all those who are believing through uncircumcision, for righteousness to be reckoned to them,

Paul uses the Torah to explain that circumcision seals our righteousness of faith.

Hmmm... That sounds like works; but James already explained in more detail how this works.

12 and the father of the Circumcision, not to those of the Circumcision only, but to those also who are observing the elements of the faith in the footprints of our father Abraham, in uncircumcision.

13 For not through law (Torah)

Which is where Paul is getting this information

is the promise to Abraham, or to his Seed, for him to be enjoyer of the allotment of the world, but through faith's righteousness.

Which Paul just pointed out, is sealed by the works of circumcision.

14 For if those of law are enjoyers of the allotment, faith has been made void and the promise has been nullified,
15 for the law (Torah) is producing indignation. Now where no law (Torah) is, neither is there transgression.

Remember; Paul is teaching from the Torah. He obviously acknowledges that there is a Torah; as he teaches it.

16 Therefore it is of faith that it may accord with grace,

For if there was no law (Torah); there would be no transgression (sin); therefore what need would there be for grace?

for the promise to be confirmed to the entire seed, not to of the law only,

In other words it is of the law.

but to also of the faith of Abraham,

...but James already explained in more detail how this works.

who is father of us all,
17 according as it is written that, A father of many nations have I appointed you

Written in the Torah

(CLV) Gn 17:5
So your name shall not longer be called Abram; but your name will become Abraham, for a father of a throng of nations have I appointed you.

-- facing which, he believes it of the God Who is vivifying the dead and calling what is not as if it were --
18 who, being beyond expectation, believes in expectation, for him to become the father of many nations, according to that which has been declared, "Thus shall be your seed."

Still teaching from the Torah.

(CLV) Gn 15:5
Then He brought him forth outside and said: Now look up toward the heavens and count off the stars if you can number them. And He promised him: Thus shall become your seed.

19 And, not being infirm in faith, he considers his body, already deadened (being inherently somewhere about a hundred years) and the deadening of the matrix of Sarah,
20 yet the promise of God was not doubted in unbelief, but he was invigorated by faith, giving glory to God,
21 being fully assured also, that, what He has promised, He is able to do also.
22 Wherefore, also, it is reckoned to him for righteousness.

Nothing new; Paul continues to teach from the Torah.

(CLV) Gn 15:6
Now Abram believed on Elohim, and He reckoned it to him for righteousness.

23 Now it was not written because of him only, that it is reckoned to him,
24 but because of us also, to whom it is about to be reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead.
25 Who was given up because of our offenses, and was roused because of our justifying.

Paul is not contradicting James.

Let's look at what James has to say about how works relate to believing in Yahshua.

(CLV) Ja 2:18
But someone will be declaring, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from the works and I shall be showing you my faith by my works.

(CLV) Ja 2:19
You are believing that God is one. Ideally are you doing. The demons also are believing and are shuddering.

Even the demons believe. Paul is not teaching that we will be sharing the Kingdom with demons.

It took work to study Paul's message, to seek out the truth. It's not a spectator sport.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

This takes work.

Paul Teaches from the TaNaK: Romans 7

Last edited:

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
Very insightful post.
To add in what I believe.
When Paul mentions the cirumcision, he rejects the one of flesh (the law) to one of the heart (the one in which we believe the gospel of our salvation). I know people who believe in the gospel but reject in their heart, either with being apostates, worshiping demons, seeking the flesh and its works intead of the heart or by denying their brethren of charity, mercy and love, hardening their hearts into rejecting the spirit of God, not allowing themselves to be seal with the promise.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This takes work.
Obedience=work
Romans 1:5.
By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith
among all nations, for his Name.

Hebrews 11:8. By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should
after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Upon the testimony of two or three witnesses? How about an angel of the Lord!
Genesis 22:
And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing,
and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Hebrews 5:9. And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them
that obey Him.
Hebrews 7:19.
For the Law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did;
by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Thank You Yeshua, all glory and honour and praise be unto your Name!

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Very insightful post.
To add in what I believe.
When Paul mentions the cirumcision, he rejects the one of flesh (the law) to one of the heart (the one in which we believe the gospel of our salvation). I know people who believe in the gospel but reject in their heart, either with being apostates, worshiping demons, seeking the flesh and its works intead of the heart or by denying their brethren of charity, mercy and love, hardening their hearts into rejecting the spirit of God, not allowing themselves to be seal with the promise.

Which one do you suppose that Paul is speaking of here?:

(CLV) Ro 2:25
For circumcision, indeed, is benefiting if you should be putting law into practice, yet if you should be a transgressor of law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision.

Is not circumcision in the law that Paul preached from?

1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Paul himself physically circumcised Timothy; as Timothy had grown in his faith to the point where he was ready to begin his ministry.

(CLV) Ac 16:3
This one Paul wants to come out with him, and, taking him, circumcised him because of the Jews who are in those places, for they all were aware that his father belonged to the Greeks.

(CLV) Ac 16:4
Now, as they went through the cities, they give over to them the decrees to maintain, which have been decided upon by the apostles and elders who are in Jerusalem.

Again, I don't believe that Paul was contradicting James.

(CLV) Ja 2:14
What is the benefit, my brethren, if anyone should be saying he has faith, yet may have no works? That faith can not save him.

(CLV) Ja 2:17
Thus, also, is faith, if it should not have works: it is dead by itself.

But someone will be declaring, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from the works and I shall be showing you my faith by my works.

Abraham, our father, was he not justified by works when offering up his son Isaac on the altar?

You are observing that faith worked together with his works, and by works was faith perfected.

(CLV) Ja 2:23
And fulfilled was the scripture which is saying, Now "Abraham believes God, and it is reckoned to him for righteousness," and he was called "the friend of God."

(CLV) Ja 2:24
You see that by works a man is being justified, and not by faith only.

(CLV) Ja 2:26
For even as the body apart from spirit is dead, thus also faith apart from works is dead.

I believe, that like Baptism, circumcision is an outward sign of what has taken place within. Outward circumcision seals our faith; but without the inward change, Baptism and circumcision mean nothing. We should take these steps when we are spiritually ready, not put the cart before the horse.

This is what the Counsel of Jerusalem was about. There were some who were pushing those new to their faith, to make a leap that preceded the strength of their faith.

(CLV) Ac 15:10
Why, then, are you now trying God, by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we are strong enough to bear?

Abraham wasn't called to seal his faith, before he grew in his faith.

(CLV) Gn 17:24
Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he had the flesh of his foreskin circumcised.

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
Which one do you suppose that Paul is speaking of here?:

For circumcision, indeed, is benefiting if you should be putting law into practice, yet if you should be a transgressor of law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision.

Is not circumcision in the law that Paul preached from?

1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Paul himself physically circumcised Timothy; as Timothy had grown in his faith to the point where he was ready to begin his ministry.

(CLV) Ac 16:3
This one Paul wants to come out with him, and, taking him, circumcised him because of the Jews who are in those places, for they all were aware that his father belonged to the Greeks.

(CLV) Ac 16:4
Now, as they went through the cities, they give over to them the decrees to maintain, which have been decided upon by the apostles and elders who are in Jerusalem.

Again, I don't believe that Paul was contradicting James.

(CLV) Ja 2:14
What is the benefit, my brethren, if anyone should be saying he has faith, yet may have no works? That faith can not save him.

(CLV) Ja 2:17
Thus, also, is faith, if it should not have works: it is dead by itself.

(CLV) Ja 2:23
And fulfilled was the scripture which is saying, Now "Abraham believes God, and it is reckoned to him for righteousness," and he was called "the friend of God."

(CLV) Ja 2:24
You see that by works a man is being justified, and not by faith only.

(CLV) Ja 2:26
For even as the body apart from spirit is dead, thus also faith apart from works is dead.

I believe, that like Baptism, circumcision is an outward sign of what has taken place within. Outward circumcision seals our faith; but without the inward change, Baptism and circumcision mean nothing. We should take these steps when we are spiritually ready, not put the cart before the horse.

This is what the Counsel of Jerusalem was about. There were some who were pushing those new to their faith, to make a leap that preceded the strength of their faith.

(CLV) Ac 15:10
Why, then, are you now trying God, by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we are strong enough to bear?

Abraham wasn't called to seal his faith, before he grew in his faith.

(CLV) Gn 17:24
Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he had the flesh of his foreskin circumcised.
This one, many will break the law many many times before growing in the faith. What I think matters is our hearts seeking the things above. And a good, loving and charitable heart should be the circumcision that confirms our maturity in our faith. Looking to much into the flesh profits us nothing, so the law only brings death, but the heart seeks things that are eternal, and are real bread of life. Your post have gave some insight to search more into the word of God.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Looking to much into the flesh profits us nothing, so the law only brings death, but the heart seeks things that are eternal, and are real bread of life.

It's disobedience to YHWH that brings death. The message has been the same since the Garden.

Proverbs 4:4

Then he taught me and said to me,
“Let your heart hold fast my words;
Keep my commandments and live;

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
It's disobedience to YHWH that brings death. The message has been the same since the Garden.

Proverbs 4:4

Then he taught me and said to me,
“Let your heart hold fast my words;
Keep my commandments and live;

Disobedience is with the heart. What profits me from a flesh that is soon to die. With a good heart, sin no longer is attractive either way. This is the gift we receive trough faith and the sacraments.

Upvote 0