Paul Showing Us That We Are All Israel (Jews and non-Jews alike)

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Key:
Blue text - Introduction
Red Text - Reference to Ezekiel 37
Purple Text - Reference or quotes from Isaiah 57

Pink text - Original word and definition in Greek / Hebrew
Black Text - Regular dialogue

It's long, so buckle up. But In the below article, I show that through the quotes and references made from the old testament scriptures, Paul without a doubt believed that there is no difference in Jew or Gentile, and that all are brought near into the fold of God - aka, Israel.

So, Paul often quotes either word for word from the old testament, or uses ideas and phrases straight from the old testament scriptures to make his points. Most of the time when people think he's creating a phrase or idea by the influence of the Holy Spirit, he's simply quoting from scripture, or talking about a concept previously mentioned somewhere in the old testament.

So, Ephesians 2 for example he takes an idea from a prophecy in Ezekiel 37, and also from a prophecy in Isaiah 57. We will take a look at both of these.

The prophecy from Ezekiel 37, he simply talks about the concept mentioned in the prophecy and we'll look at this. He also talks about how Jesus fulfilled it for us, which we'll look at also.

Then, later, he talks about a prophecy in Isaiah, and quotes from it word for word, but again, first we'll take a look at the prophecy mentioned in Ezekiel first:

So, first off, Ephesians was written to the people of the city of Ephesus, they were gentiles. Greeks, literally a people group made synonymous with the term gentiles. This is important to remember, and of course we know that Paul, is a Jew, of the tribe of Benjamin. He is of the "circumcision" (aka, a Jew) and he's writing to the "uncircumcision" (aka, the gentiles/nations).

The Red text, is a reference or quote from Ezekiel 37, and Purple, is a reference or quote from Isaiah 57.

Paul starts off Ephesians 2:1-5 by mentioning that the gentiles, and the jews alike, were once dead in sins and transgressions:

Eph 2:1 And you, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

So, Paul mentions that we all were dead in sins and transgressions, jews (verses 3 and 5), and gentiles (verses 1, 2, 3, and 5.) Everyone.

In Ezekiel 37, as this section of Ephesians started off by mentioning that we all were dead in sins and transgressions, it starts off with Ezekiel being shown many dead bones:

Eze 37:1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,
Eze 37:2 And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.
Eze 37:3 And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest.

God then shows us who these bones are:

Eze 37:11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts.

So, first off the phrase "whole house of Israel" in Ezekiel 37:11, is only ever talked about, when it's regarding both, the northern house (Israel) and the southern house (Judah). It's mentioned when it's talking about all of Israel as it was intended, before they split apart into two factions with two kingdoms after King Solomon.

But I digress - God then shows us what He will do with these many dead bones:

Eze 37:5-14 Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:
Eze 37:9 Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.
Eze 37:10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.

Paul then says that we will be raised up together, and talks of the riches to come:

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, made us alive together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

In verses 5-6, Paul shows us that we were once dead, but now we have been made alive, raised together, just as the army of bones was made alive in Ezekiel 37.

Then, he goes on to say who the gentiles of Ephesus are:

Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

So, Paul makes known to the gentiles he was writing to in verse 11, that they were once gentiles in the flesh, who are called by the circumcision (the jews), uncircumcised. In verse 12, he says that, at that point in time, that we WERE without the promise of the Messiah, and therefore that we were aliens from the commonwealth (the greek word "πολιτεία" which means citizenship) of Israel, but that now, in Christ, we are in fact Israel. Which, he shows by quoting from Isaiah 57 in verse 13, but we'll get to that quote and another direct quote from Isaiah 57 that Paul makes later.

Then, in verse 14, Paul says that He, Jesus, is our peace. And that he has made both one, and that the thing dividing jews from gentiles, has been broken. Why is this important?

Eze 37:15 The word of the LORD came again unto me, saying,
Eze 37:16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
Eze 37:17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.

And again:

Eze 37:19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

He says that Ephrayim, and Judah, will become one. Big deal, right? Why is Ephrayim and Judah becoming one important? We'll get to that at the end.

Eze 37:22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:

Ezekiel 37:22, shows that finally, Israel and Judah, will once again be reunited, no longer being two nations. This was something that puzzled people, and even angels and principalities. No one knew how this would be done, because God divorced Israel due to their adulteries, and according to His own law (Torah), once a bride is divorced, and she joins another, she cannot come back to her first husband. She's cursed to remain unmarried until her husband dies. Which, her husband did, on the cross, and He resurrected so that she could remarry Him, and rejoin into the nation of Israel once more.

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I digress though, back to that quote from Isaiah 57:

The first one -

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

and the second one -

Eph 2:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
Eph 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Isa 57:19 I create the fruit of the lips; Peace, peace to him that is far off, and to him that is near, saith the LORD; and I will heal him.

So, we see that verse 17 is a quote and reference from Isaiah 57. Isaiah 57, is about Israel's disobedience, and their adultery, and God casting them off from Him due to this. At the end though, He says that He will heal them and bring them back to Him. This is what Paul is mentioning, in reference to the gentiles.

Verse 18, Paul shows that both of us - Jews and non-Jews alike - have access to God by the same spirit.

Verse 19, shows that we - non-Jews - are no longer strangers, but fellowcitizens. The prophecy in Isaiah 57 was about Israel, so there should be no mistaking that the thing we are being fellowcitizens in, is Israel, the household of God.

Now to the blessing to Ephrayim, in Genesis 48:

17And when Joseph saw that his father laid his right hand upon the head of Ephraim, it displeased him: and he held up his father's hand, to remove it from Ephraim's head unto Manasseh's head.
18And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head.
19And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great: but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations. (the hebraic phrase "מְלֹא הגוימ" pronounced "melo ha goyim" which means fullness of the gentiles")

Why does Ephrayim becoming the "fullness of the gentiles" matter? Because, look again to Paul, in Romans 11, when he talks about the gentiles being "grafted" into the good olive tree of Israel. (Israel was called a good, green olive tree in the book of Jeremiah). Paul refers to this grafting, as the "fullness of the gentiles". This is where he gets that phrase "fullness of the gentiles" from, from the blessing mentioned in Genesis 48, one of the great mysteries of scripture.

I digress though, if you made it through all of this: This is one example. Paul does this in literally every single one of his letters, numerous times. I used to think he just made up phrases and ideas under the influence of the Holy Spirit, but no! He doesn't just make up phrases, he constantly takes ideas and concepts (often even entire paragraphs, word for word) from old testament scriptures and prophecy that are about Israel, and applies them to Gentiles. I do also believe, that this means we are to keep Torah as Israel is commanded. I don't believe Jesus ever taught that we can break Torah, nor do I believe Paul or any other new testament writer did, as that would be against all of the prophecy in the old testament, and it'd be against Torah, which our Savior cannot do or say anything against Torah. That is something that was initiated by the Romans, and later, the roman catholic church. I understand most will disagree with this last point, but to say that we aren't to keep Torah, contradicts with so much of scripture that it'd be ridiculous if what I'm saying isn't true.

This does not mean that we replace the Jews. That is nonsense, and is nowhere in scripture. We are made one with them, and all are Israel who accept the Messiah, and keep His Torah according to the words written in the Torah, and not according to the Talmud or man-made traditions and doctrines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married