Paul Ryan to speak tonight to Republicans: move away from the "populist appeal of one personality"

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
[Former House Speaker] Ryan, a critic of the former President in the past, is expected to say at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, that Republicans must move away from the "populist appeal of one personality" because "then we're not going anywhere."

"Once again, we conservatives find ourselves at a crossroads. And here's one reality we have to face: If the conservative cause depends on the populist appeal of one personality, or on second-rate imitations, then we're not going anywhere. Voters looking for Republican leaders want to see independence and mettle," Ryan is expected to say.

Ryan, who decided to retire from Congress in 2018, has kept a relatively low profile since leaving Capitol Hill. He was seen as a rising star in the Republican Party before facing a high level of scrutiny from Democrats and Republicans alike over his relationship with Trump, with whom he occasionally clashed.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
On one side of the country [Paul Ryan at the Reagan Library] legacy Republicans were agonizing about what their party should be. On the other, Donald Trump's diehards [MTG & Gaetz' "America First" rally in Georgia] were revealing what it already is.

[Ryan] was launching a speaker series at the Reagan library entitled a "Time for Choosing" -- a reference to the 40th President's seminal 1964 speech that laid the foundations for modern conservatism and his own tilts at the White House.

According to the Reagan Library, the mandate of Ryan and other speakers will be to address questions including: "Why are you a Republican?" and "What should the Republican Party stand for?"

"It was horrifying to see a presidency come to such a dishonorable and a disgraceful end. So once again, we conservatives find ourselves at a crossroads," Ryan said.

-

[MTG] repeated the lie that Trump won the election in Georgia, accused the military of employing "Islamic terrorist sympathizers" to purge extremists from its ranks and called Trump the "best President ever," pledging to bring him back.

"We had 10 people, 10 Republicans vote to impeach Donald Trump, our President," Greene said. "We shouldn't have had one."

"This is Donald Trump's party," Gaetz declared. "Taking advice on party building from Paul Ryan would be like taking advice on how to interact with your in-laws from Meghan Markle," he said, referring to the Duchess of Sussex, the American wife of Prince Harry who is estranged from Britain's Royal Family.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder what Mr Ryan expected to happen after his party let the crazies run off the leash for a few decades. Anybody who'd been paying attention to talk radio could've seen this coming.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I never cared for Ryan... but he doesn't deserve what's going to happen to him for this.

The guy who endorsed Trump even after calling him out for racism? Who tried his hardest to smash the Affordable care act? Who claimed election irregularities in 2018 in a preview of what we got to see in full effect 2 years later?

Nah, Ryan deserves EXACTLY what he gets.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The guy who endorsed Trump even after calling him out for racism? Who tried his hardest to smash the Affordable care act? Who claimed election irregularities in 2018 in a preview of what we got to see in full effect 2 years later?

Nah, Ryan deserves EXACTLY what he gets.

Now that he's speaking against Donald, some of the ex-president's Second Amendment People might be able to do something about it...

...and Ryan doesn't deserve that.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with this statement from the link:

"As the left gets more 'woke,' the rest of America is getting weary. This stuff is exhausting. And we conservatives have got to be careful not to get caught up in every little cultural battle," he said. "Sometimes these skirmishes are just creations of outrage peddlers, detached from reality and not worth anybody's time. They draw attention away from the far more important case we must make to the American people."

Ryan also criticized President Joe Biden, claiming he is "pursuing an agenda more leftist than any president in my lifetime."

"In 2020, the country wanted a nice guy who would move to the center and depolarize our politics. Instead, we got a nice guy pursuing an agenda more leftist than any president in my lifetime. These policies might have the full approval of his progressive supporters, but they break faith with the middle-of-the-road folks who made the difference for him on Election Day," he said.​

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Now that he's speaking against Donald, some of the ex-president's Second Amendment People might be able to do something about it...

...and Ryan doesn't deserve that.

I tend to believe that betraying democracy and doing things that cause suffering to millions is deserving of a fairly final sentence, but I understand we all have our own thoughts on such things.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with this statement from the link:

"As the left gets more 'woke,' the rest of America is getting weary. This stuff is exhausting. And we conservatives have got to be careful not to get caught up in every little cultural battle," he said. "Sometimes these skirmishes are just creations of outrage peddlers, detached from reality and not worth anybody's time. They draw attention away from the far more important case we must make to the American people."

Ryan also criticized President Joe Biden, claiming he is "pursuing an agenda more leftist than any president in my lifetime."

"In 2020, the country wanted a nice guy who would move to the center and depolarize our politics. Instead, we got a nice guy pursuing an agenda more leftist than any president in my lifetime. These policies might have the full approval of his progressive supporters, but they break faith with the middle-of-the-road folks who made the difference for him on Election Day," he said.​

Biden is a conservative, not a leftist. The fact Republicans can't see that is proof how much they have embraced extremism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biden is a conservative, not a leftist. The fact Republicans can't see that is proof how much they have embraced extremism.

psssttt.... how do explain members of his own party saying the same?

Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never cared for Ryan... but he doesn't deserve what's going to happen to him for this.

Same here. Ryan was extremely unappealing but now he's going to be scourged and not for appropriate reasons but for simply speaking against the emperor.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
psssttt.... how do explain members of his own party saying the same?

psssttt... we're allowed to disagree with members of our own party.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
psssttt... we're allowed to disagree with members of our own party.

Absolutely true! Bravo!

That is the strength and beauty of our Country. Members of the same party can and do disagree with each other all the time. That is what makes any group greater and stronger.

The narrative that only one side holds an opinion on something is inaccurate and if propagated repeatedly becomes propagandist in nature and design.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely true! Bravo!

That is the strength and beauty of our Country. Members of the same party can and do disagree with each other all the time. That is what makes any group greater and stronger.

The narrative that only one side holds an opinion on something is inaccurate and if propagated repeatedly becomes propagandist in nature and design.

Unless the side in question actively encourages such a narrative on itself... by, for example, seeking out and purging anyone who disagree on a certain issue.

So... is it still "propaganda" if it's actually true? I'll leave that question for the philosophers.

Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Absolutely true! Bravo!

Your guy, Trump, spent 4 years actively demonizing the Dems with a number of attacks and name-calling.

Let us not now think the Right has any interest in civil disagreement.

Your side just destroyed the political career of a dyed-in-the-wool hard-core conservative simply because she suggested Trump wasn't perfect.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Absolutely true! Bravo!

When you are talking about the "other side" as Trump, besieged by criminal investigations: his legions of pardoned criminals; and his allies in QAnon. Proud Boys, Oath Keepers and domestic terrorists, you are talking about more than differences of opinion.

You are talking about rooting out the evil on the Republican Party, and if my state is any example, there are plenty of politicians that shouldn't be.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[Former House Speaker] Ryan, a critic of the former President in the past, is expected to say at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, that Republicans must move away from the "populist appeal of one personality" because "then we're not going anywhere."

"Once again, we conservatives find ourselves at a crossroads. And here's one reality we have to face: If the conservative cause depends on the populist appeal of one personality, or on second-rate imitations, then we're not going anywhere. Voters looking for Republican leaders want to see independence and mettle," Ryan is expected to say.

Ryan, who decided to retire from Congress in 2018, has kept a relatively low profile since leaving Capitol Hill. He was seen as a rising star in the Republican Party before facing a high level of scrutiny from Democrats and Republicans alike over his relationship with Trump, with whom he occasionally clashed.

I hope my republican friends see this intelligently, and not as tribes people or village people... The man is not a traitor, he's merely calling on people to come out of a hive-mind mentality, that breeds authoritarianism, like what Russia and China are.

...I see it as a call to appreciate differences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0