Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I am reading a book about Paul. And the author was saying that he grew up learning to be a tent maker or something like that and that he grew up motherless from the age of nine. I was doing research and found one article that said Paul never actually talked about his mother only his father, but that by the way he references his father in the bible that it sounds like he grew up motherless from an infant or very young age. I am just wondering about the validity if this not so much age wise but the fact that he grew up motherless because when I grew up I lost my mother when I was growing up and lived with my grandparents.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I am reading a book about Paul. And the author was saying that he grew up learning to be a tent maker or something like that and that he grew up motherless from the age of nine. I was doing research and found one article that said Paul never actually talked about his mother only his father, but that by the way he references his father in the bible that it sounds like he grew up motherless from an infant or very young age. I am just wondering about the validity if this not so much age wise but the fact that he grew up motherless because when I grew up I lost my mother when I was growing up and lived with my grandparents.
Would love to see his citations for this information, as far as I have ever known, nothing is recorded about his mother other than her name.

Upvote 0

Glorytothefather2245

Always Forgive!
Site Supporter
May 26, 2018
Rhode Island
✟239,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would love to see his citations for this information, as far as I have ever known, nothing is recorded about his mother other than her name.
The book is called "Paul" by Charles Swindoll. Not sure where he got his citations though.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Paul was a Pharisee and as such learned a trade, which was tent making. This is stated in the Bible. Apart from that, I've not come across much information about Paul as a youth.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Paul says he was born into Roman citizenship, and seeing that trades follow from father to son mostly in those days, his father might have gained citizenship by supplying tents to the Roman legions. Regardless, Paul was well enough off to have studied extensively, along with his Roman citizenship, that he likely comes from some money. If his mother died, his father would definitely have remarried - as marriage was an important cement of society in those days, especially if an important family with citizenship. So he would have grown up with either a mother or a stepmother, but the chances that he was raised largely by a governess-type or tutors is also possible.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul says he was born into Roman citizenship, and seeing that trades follow from father to son mostly in those days, his father might have gained citizenship by supplying tents to the Roman legions. Regardless, Paul was well enough off to have studied extensively, along with his Roman citizenship, that he likely comes from some money. If his mother died, his father would definitely have remarried - as marriage was an important cement of society in those days, especially if an important family with citizenship. So he would have grown up with either a mother or a stepmother, but the chances that he was raised largely by a governess-type or tutors is also possible.
Do you have a source for that information?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a source for that information?
Acts 22:28 Paul says he was born a citizen, meaning his father was one. The rest is conjecture based on the general norms of the time period, and the fact that Paul had to have been well off to be both born a Roman citizen in Tarsus and to have had the luxury to study under Gamaliel.

I made a thread on his citizenship before:
The Roman Citizenship of Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0