Paul considered that Christ's resurrection was of universal salvific benefit (2)

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:3
Since they (the Israelites) did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

They did not submit to God's righteousness. Not could not...they did not.
If Paul had just established election/reprobation in Romans 9, then some of them could not. But Paul desires their salvation, pinpoints their error and provides the solution - so they can (submit) otherwise Paul is lying. And Paul explicitly says that faith is not like ascending into heaven.

Calvinism is unable to deal with this refutation election/reprobation. There can be no doubt that Paul would have related these ideas (of Romans 10) directly to Israelites when he preached in the synagogues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That Paul tells unsaved Israelites that faith is, 'not too difficult or beyond your reach' (by quoting Deuteronomy 30) is, in itself, a refutation of Calvinism's election/reprobation. It's simply untenable.

And it's not found in scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In what way does it contradict? All you've given is an opinion.

If you actually engage with what I wrote I will respond.

So far all you've written is opinion. You have not given a reason why.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If you actually engage with what I wrote I will respond.

So far all you've written is opinion. You have not given a reason why.

Paul makes it apparent that, with regard to his unsaved kinsman, faith is not too difficult or beyond their reach - sentiments that are fatal to your theology. You cannot deny that Paul is discussing the unsaved here. Paul's words shed light on what he meant in the previous chapter.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Paul makes it apparent that, with regard to his unsaved kinsman, faith is not too difficult or beyond their reach - sentiments that are fatal to your theology. You cannot deny that Paul is discussing the unsaved here. Paul's words shed light on what he meant in the previous chapter.

Why are these sentiments fatal to my theology?

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why are these sentiments fatal to my theology?

Because, for you, faith must be preceded by regeneration which only occurs for the elect. Paul does not describe faith for the unsaved in such a way - it's not only exercisable, it's not even too difficult.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because, for you, faith must be preceded by regeneration which only occurs for the elect. Paul does not describe faith for the unsaved in such a way - it's not only exercisable, it's not even too difficult.

Faith in Christ will be preceded by regeneration because man, in his natural state, will not believe. It's not that he cannot. But he will not.

Could the unregenerate believe the truth of the gospel? My answer is, why would he? What would make him believe something that he thinks is false? Not only can you not will yourself to believe something that you think is false, you'd be crazy to do so. So something must change in a man before he will believe. But that doesn't change the fact that the truth is right there, ready to be grasped.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Faith in Christ will be preceded by regeneration because man, in his natural state, will not believe. It's not that he cannot. But he will not.

Could the unregenerate believe the truth of the gospel? My answer is, why would he? What would make him believe something that he thinks is false? Not only can you not will yourself to believe something that you think is false, you'd be crazy to do so. So something must change in a man before he will believe. But that doesn't change the fact that the truth is right there, ready to be grasped.

The problem for you is that Paul makes it clear that faith for the unsaved is not too difficult or beyond their reach. You have just said that, 'you cannot will yourself to believe...'

You say 'cannot', Paul says otherwise. The contradiction is right there.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The problem for you is that Paul makes it clear that faith for the unsaved is not too difficult or beyond their reach. You have just said that, 'you cannot will yourself to believe...'

You say 'cannot', Paul says otherwise. The contradiction is right there.

It's not difficult. The restriction is a moral one, not physical. You ignore the fact that you cannot will yourself to believe something that you think is false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's not difficult. The restriction is a moral one, not physical. You ignore the fact that you cannot will yourself to believe something that you think is false.

Nothing in the text about such a distinction, but either way, Paul makes it clear that what's involved is not beyond their reach.

No synergist believes one can will oneself to believe either.

The contradiction is still there: Paul says they can - you say they can't.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Nothing in the text about such a distinction, but either way, Paul makes it clear that what's involved is not beyond their reach.

No synergist believes one can will oneself to believe either.

The contradiction is still there: Paul says they can - you say they can't.

What Paul made clear was that it wasn't beyond the reach of his audience. The personal pronouns testify to this.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What Paul made clear was that it wasn't beyond the reach of his audience. The personal pronouns testify to this.

Shame for your argument that Moses spoke these words to the Israelites.

Was Paul bothered that we might misunderstand his intentions regarding who his audience was? Paul would have realised that if we got it wrong then UE and LA would have been rubbished.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Was Paul bothered that we might misunderstand his intentions regarding who his audience was? Paul would have realised that if we got it wrong then UE and LA would have been rubbished.

I don't know if Paul was bothered. But he is clear who his audience was.

Oh, and Moses' comments weren't universal.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Shame? That Moses told these words to a people redeemed by God.

Moses wasn't talking about spiritual distance. He was pointing out the Law and its Giver were right there. It was distant from every other people. But not Israel. So too the gospel. There wont be distance to stop God. The word of the gospel is in reach.

But there's a problem with saying it has universal benefit: Jesus says God does not give it to everyone to come to Him, and that's why people don't believe.

"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe.” And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” Jn 6:63-65

If it requires God, then even synergy would need to consider that God isn't being universal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if Paul was bothered. But he is clear who his audience was.

You didn't address my point. If a theology is imperilled by allowing a misinterpretation (by not guarding against it), then that theology could not have been Paul's

Oh, and Moses' comments weren't universal.

Moses words were for Israelites. Are you going to deal with this fact? You claim that Paul was not addressing Israelites, but by citing Deuteronomy 30 which is addressed to Israelites then Paul is...addressing Israelites.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You didn't address my point. If a theology is imperilled by allowing a misinterpretation (by not guarding against it), then that theology could not have been Paul's
Well since clearly Paul hasnt given you enough words to guard against Calvinism, then by this same reasoning your theology must not have been Paul's.

Either that or this thought process is mistaken. To me it is simply mistaken. To you, well, you can reject both your view and your opposition's on that basis. So I dont see the point.
Moses words were for Israelites. Are you going to deal with this fact? You claim that Paul was not addressing Israelites, but by citing Deuteronomy 30 which is addressed to Israelites then Paul is...addressing Israelites.
Paul already did. "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek" Rom 10:12.

Btw Paul also wasnt speaking to the Israel of nth century BC either. But Moses was.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Shame? That Moses told these words to a people redeemed by God.

Moses spoke these words to Israelites whether they had true faith or not. The context is the blessings and the curses.

Can you clarify your point please?

Moses wasn't talking about spiritual distance. He was pointing out the Law and its Giver were right there. It was distant from every other people. But not Israel. So too the gospel. There wont be distance to stop God. The word of the gospel is in reach.

Where does it say this?

But there's a problem with saying it has universal benefit: Jesus says God does not give it to everyone to come to Him, and that's why people don't believe.

Where? I think I have already dealt with the various places Isaiah 6 comes up.

"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe.” And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” Jn 6:63-65

If it requires God, then even synergy would need to consider that God isn't being universal.

You assume that God does not speak to all men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well since clearly Paul hasnt given you enough words to guard against Calvinism, then by this same reasoning your theology must not have been Paul's.

Paul does guard against Calvinism - Paul's heart's desire and prayer for his kinsmen is genuine - he went out and preached in the synagogues. Verses 1ff. has Paul speaking about them.

No reason whatsoever to think that Paul would not have been pleased if such sentiments were addressed directly to them.

Paul already did. "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek" Rom 10:12.

I have not said his words were not for Gentiles as well.

Btw Paul also wasnt speaking to the Israel of nth century BC either. But Moses was.

Moses wasn't just speaking to those alive at the time. Deut. 30:1.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Okay, then your theology could not be Paul's since it's based on a misinterpretation.

And in Chapter 9, who did Paul say were true Israelites?

Upvote 0