Manila
✟34,975.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As Paul gathered an armful of sticks and was laying them on the fire, a poisonous snake, driven out by the heat, bit him on the hand. The people of the island saw it hanging from his hand and said to each other, “A murderer, no doubt! Though he escaped the sea, justice will not permit him to live.” But Paul shook off the snake into the fire and was unharmed. The people waited for him to swell up or suddenly drop dead. But when they had waited a long time and saw that he wasn’t harmed, they changed their minds and decided he was a god.
Acts of the Apostles 28:3‭-‬6

They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.”
Mark 16:18

My question is if these verses also means that the Lord will still protect us, if there's accidentally happened that could harm us, even we want to avoid it. Unless like you know it will harm you, you will avoid it, because you don't want to put to test the Lord.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God does take care of us. But I can get away from how God would guide me, and then I can get myself into a problem.

Also > you are right, how I need to not do something dangerous when God is not guiding me to take a risk.

But, in order to love, there are different kinds of risks we take, in loving the way Jesus wants.

Jesus was often in danger while ministering. People wanted to kill Him; but Jesus did not play it safe all the time. But He did take a risk if and when our Father guided Him to go into dangerous situations; other times, Jesus would get away or stay away from dangerous people.

So, I would say, simply obey how God guides us. He can take us through the valley of the shadow of death. And He can share with us in the presence of our enemies. And He can share with us away from wrong and dangerous people.

Reactions: Aldrin25
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As Paul gathered an armful of sticks and was laying them on the fire, a poisonous snake, driven out by the heat, bit him on the hand. The people of the island saw it hanging from his hand and said to each other, “A murderer, no doubt! Though he escaped the sea, justice will not permit him to live.” But Paul shook off the snake into the fire and was unharmed. The people waited for him to swell up or suddenly drop dead. But when they had waited a long time and saw that he wasn’t harmed, they changed their minds and decided he was a god.

They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.”

My question is if these verses also means that the Lord will still protect us, if there's accidentally happened that could harm us, even we want to avoid it. Unless like you know it will harm you, you will avoid it, because you don't want to put to test the Lord.
If you do what Paul did, God will protect you. Jesus was protected to the point he changed the world for the better before his enemies closed in on him. On the third day Jesus showed his victory.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,482.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are two sides to the story. Paul wasn't trying to pick up the snake, but it bit him while he was collecting firewood. That's somewhat different from the odd minority who invite snakes to bite them deliberately to prove God will save them.

He was delivered from that snake bite as God wanted him to continue with his ministry. But he wasn't so fortunate on other occasions. Tradition accepts that he was finally decapitated since he was a Roman citizen.

I doubt if most of use could endure Paul's sufferings. He was a very tough cookie. His back must have been a mass of scar tissue.

2 Corinthians 11:23-27 -

23 Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

A common view is that the traditional ending of Mark (Mark 16:9-20) was likely written sometime later. That is, it's not original to the Gospel of Mark, with the Gospel probably having originally ended at Mark 16:8.

There are actually several possible endings of Mark based on the manuscript evidence. The Traditional ending is known as the Longer Ending, and is the most common in our Bibles today, and appears relatively early in the historical record.

There is also the Shorter Ending, which is included in at least some modern Bibles, for example the NASB includes both the Longer and Shorter Ending. Here is the Shorter Ending as it appears at the end of verse 20 of the Longer Ending in the NASB:

"And they promptly reported all these instructions to Peter and his companions. And after that, Jesus Himself sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation."

In addition, one ancient codex (Codex Washingtonianus) includes what is known as the Freer Logion, which appears between what would be verses 14 and 15 of the traditional Longer Ending,

"And they excused themselves, saying, 'This age of lawlessness and unbelief is under Satan, who does not allow the truth and power of God to prevail over the unclean things of the spirits [or, does not allow what lies under the unclean spirits to understand the truth and power of God]. Therefore reveal your righteousness now" – thus they spoke to Christ. And Christ replied to them, "The term of years of Satan's power has been fulfilled, but other terrible things draw near. And for those who have sinned I was handed over to death, that they may return to the truth and sin no more, in order that they may inherit the spiritual and incorruptible glory of righteousness that is in heaven.'"

At any rate, the Longer/Traditional Ending is debated whether or not it was added later (this is the general consensus however), or is original to Mark but somehow was excluded to some of our earliest copies of Mark. Thus the mention of venomous snakes is quite probable an allusion to the story of St. Paul's snake bite on Malta.

All of this really to say that the Ending of Mark is a really complicated issue. That said, we do have the story of St. Paul being bitten by a venomous snake and being completely unharmed, something which God did for His own good purposes.

Will He protect you or me? If it is His good will to do so. But if you do find yourself bitten by a venomous snake, you should be wise about it--go seek medical attention immediately.

That God can and has worked certain wonders in the lives of His people is not a guarantee that we don't have to be concerned over our own well-being. If you get sick, see a doctor. If you get hurt, go to the emergency room. Follow the advice of medical professionals. God is the author of knowledge, the skill and knowledge of the medical professional is itself a gift from God that we should not despise, but to trust the expertise of those who have studied these things, and to follow the treatments which they proscribe for us for our own bodily health.

The Scriptures tell us, "Do not put the Lord your God to the test." That is, don't be reckless and expect God to intervene. We are to be wise and use commonsense.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,482.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"And they excused themselves, saying, 'This age of lawlessness and unbelief is under Satan, who does not allow the truth and power of God to prevail over the unclean things of the spirits [or, does not allow what lies under the unclean spirits to understand the truth and power of God]. Therefore reveal your righteousness now" – thus they spoke to Christ. And Christ replied to them, "The term of years of Satan's power has been fulfilled, but other terrible things draw near. And for those who have sinned I was handed over to death, that they may return to the truth and sin no more, in order that they may inherit the spiritual and incorruptible glory of righteousness that is in heaven.'"

I extracted this quote from ViaCrucis post above (Freer Logion). I'm certainly no Biblical expert, with zero expertise in textual criticism, but this doesn't sound like Mark. It's too wordy and high blown.

Anyway that's my sense of it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I extracted this quote from ViaCrucis post above (Freer Logion). I'm certainly no Biblical expert, with zero expertise in textual criticism, but this doesn't sound like Mark. It's too wordy and high blown.

Anyway that's my sense of it.

Considering that the Freer Logion only appears, if I recall correctly, in a single codex, Codex Washintonianus, it's pretty safe to assume that there's no way that it is Markan.

I only mentioned it largely for the sake of mentioning the diversity and complexity of the ending of Mark in the manuscript record.

I personally tend toward the opinion that it is quite likely that Mark really does end abruptly at verse 8. Some speculate perhaps it ends before Mark could be finished; though it may be that Mark intentionally leaves the text ending so abruptly on purpose, the awe and wonder of the women at the empty tomb is an invitation for the reader to dwell within the mystery and power of the resurrection.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...My question is if these verses also means that the Lord will still protect us, if there's accidentally happened that could harm us, even we want to avoid it. Unless like you know it will harm you, you will avoid it, because you don't want to put to test the Lord.

I believe disciples of Jesus (“Christians”) are still protected, if it is not right time to die. And I think disciples of Jesus don’t want to try to harm themselves intentionally, because:

and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, 'He will give his angels charge concerning you.' and, 'On their hands they will bear you up, So that you don't dash your foot against a stone.'" Jesus said to him, "Again, it is written, 'You shall not test the Lord, your God.'"
Matt. 4:6-7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums