Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Something I have been wondering, the belief in patron saints.

Now, I don’t see doing things not mentioned in Scriptures or practicing something that has roots in paganism as necessarily wrong, as long as it does not contradict clear doctrinal or theological teachings of the Bible. If we are to purge the Church of all pagan influences, we cannot be truly consistent. I used to go to an SDA school which believed that Sunday worship was a pagan practice that seeped its way into the Church by Satan, yet they still celebrate Christmas.

Now, I see the idea of patron saints as having pagan origins, with each saint having something they preside over, whether it is a place, group of people, a profession, etc.

I noticed a parallel with the Ancient Greek religion where not only did the gods have their own domain (Poseidon being the god of the Sea and earthquakes), but they were also patrons. Athena was the patron deity of Athens and the patron of Odysseus.

The Greek religion was henotheistoc rather than polytheistic, as even though the Greeks believed in the existence of several different gods, most of them chose one as their patron god. Hermès was the god of messengers and travelers, Artemis the goddess of hunters, and Poseidon was the patron for sailors.

Where did the idea of having a patron saint come from?

Also, if having some traditions with pagan roots is okay, then where do we stop and draw the line?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It started with venerating the martyrs, at least by the second century. People would take the bones of the martyrs, gather round them and have their worship services over the bones. They would tell stories about how that person lived and their witness to the faith. Then this expanded later to venerating people that lived exemplary lives. Pagans-turned-christians loved festivals and started celebrating the deaths of a martyr or saint as a big feast day rather than strictly a commemoration.

It's perfectly OK in my mind for a Christian to have a favorite saint's holiday. We celebrated St. Lucia's day a few weeks ago at church. St. Lucia was a martyr in Rome, and is popular in Scandinavian countries because her commemoration falls near the winter solstice (in Scandinavia, that can mean its very dark that time of year, it's not just about being pagan but needing something to cheer you up). A young woman is paraded around with a martyrs crown and candles on her head. People usually eat pastries and things like that too. It's just fun and gives an opportunity for a pastor or priest to talk about somebody who witnessed to the Christian faith.

Not all Christians have patron saints in the style Catholics do, with a specific domain of human activity or need. Orthodox Christians do not typically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi, Faithful Pilgrim.

Orthodox Christians are given the name of a Saint when we are baptized/chrismated. I chose Saint Mary of Bethany (sister of Martha and Lazarus) because I already shared her name and I had always felt close to her. Our patron saints are sort of Christian role models for us, and we believe they intercede for us. One of the things I think of in regards to St. Mary of Bethany is that she chose "the one thing needful", and that is something I try to remember to do in my own life.

There are also other Saints that we might feel especially close to even if they are not our patron, per se.

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The veneration of saints is a good thing that allows us to learn about and honor those who lived great lives and serve as an example for us. It's important to remember these people, some who suffered and died terrible deaths in the service of God. We can look to them, flesh and blood humans just like us, for inspiration and motivation in our lives.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not all Christians have patron saints in the style Catholics do,
with a specific domain of human activity or need.
Orthodox Christians do not typically.
We pretty much cover the gamut...

Arsenios

Upvote 0