✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • I can't recall the last time I heard the national anthem
That would be a few weeks ago when the Tigers smashed the Crows at the Grand Final.

Austrians let us rejoice for we are young and free. With wealth for toil and something something our land is girt by sea.

Patriotism is not knowing nor caring about the name of the first Prime Minster because we were formed from a vote not a war.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,884.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That would be a few weeks ago when the Tigers smashed the Crows at the Grand Final.
Musta missed that one Tanj. I think it was my day for washing my hair. To be honest I'm not a big Netball fan.
Austrians let us rejoice for we are young and free. With wealth for toil and something something our land is girt by sea.
Thanks Tanj. It was all sounding a bit foreign until I got to the "something something girt by sea" bit then it became vaguely familiar.
I think everyone remembers "Girt" (whoever she was).

I noticed an earlier post where they talked about the American Flag Code. It's a set of detailed American Flag Handling instructions slightly shorter than the Old Testament. So, not to be outdone, I went looking for our Flag Code. Was having trouble until I found a small $5 Flag in a $2 shop. When I bought it the shop assistant told me they stock them to cater to the local Neo Nazi customer base. She gave me a plain brown paper bag to carry it home in.

Would you believe it Tanj? I found our Flag Code actually on a tag attached to the Flag. It doesn't get much more respectful than that.

I copied it for your info:
WARM GENTLE MACHINE WASH
WASH INSIDE OUT
DO NOT BLEACH
DO NOT TUMBLE DRY
LINE DRY INSIDE OUT
DO NOT DRY CLEAN
WARM IRON ONLY
OB​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Musta missed that one Tanj. I think it was my day for washing my hair. To be honest I'm not a big Netball fan.

Sure you are Australian?

Would you believe it Tanj? I found our Flag Code actually on a tag attached to the Flag. It doesn't get much more respectful than that.

I copied it for your info:
WARM GENTLE MACHINE WASH
WASH INSIDE OUT
DO NOT BLEACH
DO NOT TUMBLE DRY
LINE DRY INSIDE OUT
DO NOT DRY CLEAN
WARM IRON ONLY
OB​

Please tell me it was made in China.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Real patriotism is not caring about your country as abstract entity. "My country, right or wrong" doesn't cut it. It's caring about your fellow citizens. It's the desire for them to be safe, and free, and prosperous, and to have the best quality of life of any country in the world. There are obviously differences of opinion on how to get there. The OP asked for examples, and a few are below. I think they're all patriots in the true sense of the word.

john-mccain-square.jpg

MLK.jpg

EleanorRoosevelt_640x400.jpg

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,884.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sure you are Australian?

Questioning my patriocity is a low blow even for you Tanj. However, given you are probably a Victorian, I will make allowances. The truth about avoiding the Netball Tanj, is that I am severely intimidated by tall, assertive women. This is a characteristic I share with most Australian males - I am, therefore, quintessentially Australian.
Please tell me it was made in China.

Obviously. We Australians are far too busy digging up big holes and sending them to China to bother about manufacturing trivia.
OB

• Haha
Reactions: Icewater
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To troo.

I was actually thinking about this and national anthem/flag type stuff in Oz. I came to the following conclusions;
  • I can't recall the last time I heard the national anthem
  • It's a bloody awful song any way
  • I don't know the words (and I would not be alone in this)
  • If someone put their hand on their heart while the NA was playing I would probably take care to avoid them later
  • It's unusual to see a flag and no one has a flagpole
  • People who stick little flags on their cars for Australia Day probably vote for One Nation.
OB

Funny. I feel the exact same way about our national anthem and my fellow citizens' attitude towards that terrible song and that piece of cloth called a flag.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, like biting the hand that feeds you.....

In some desert countries, wondering / wandering nomadic tribe may offer or have hospitality to a stranger / wayfarer who happens across their path....
they have a code to protect them if they ask for protection/ needs met/ in the desert .....
but
the one they offer shelter and protection to,
must likewise agree to not seek to harm the provider(s) of their needs and protection....
They agree to not seek to harm the provider?

Do you really think that pointing out that you are not great after all, that a lot of things you do... that you do to the one your "code" tells you to protect... is horrible... do you really think that this is "doing harm"?

"Yes, kind master, I am so very happy and grateful that I can sleep in your dogshed that you forced me to build and get the scraps from your table, of the food that I grew. And I would never ever harm you by pointing out how nice it would be if you didn't beat me bloody each day."

Upvote 0