Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem is the Church of Cyprus asked him to refrain from commemorating him as they have not decided on the matter. He went ahead and commemorated the schismatic layman in another's jurisdiction who do not recognize him.
I heard about that. I’m curious what will happen now. Will Abp Chrysostomos (that’s the bishop of Cyprus, right?) do anything as a way of saying “hey I asked you not to do this”? Or do you think the Church of Cyprus will just move on until they make their decision on the OCU?

Upvote 0

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The jurisdiction themselves dont have much drama. It's the intrajurisdictional squabbles that's problematic. I would say stay away from the jurisdictions under the Phanar (or department or Eparchy or whatever they call their subdivisions).
Context: Antiochian Patriarchate is headquartered in Damascus, Syria. It means that their very security is in the hands of Assad/Putin. They'll probably stay silent. If that is what counts for "little drama" in your book...

Upvote 0

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why do they call the Ecumenical Patriarch "Phanar"? Is that a Turkish term?
It's disrespectful.
And yes, a Turkish trerm; Turks reject the Ecumenical status of the Patriarch and use "Fanar" to imply he's just a local cleric ministering to the greeks living in the Fanar district of Istanbul. I'd leave the ethics of seemingly Orthodox people joining if for your own evaluation.

Upvote 0

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Patriarch Theodoros lived in Odessa for 10 years, during the time when the schisms all happened! He knows what these people are about, firsthand.
Yep. Odessa is Met. Agathangel's eparchy; so what Patriarch Theodoros could have seen is Russian Orthodox Church that for some reason keeps calling itself Ukrainian Orthodox Church; and in it's Odessa corner, actively anti-Ukrainian to boot.

One year ago ROCinU was the only canonical jurisdiction. Things changed.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just want to give a perspective to any inquirers ( at least in the US) as to what may appear on a world level in comparison to many areas where daily parish life goes on largely unaffected by this. For ex. right now, I have to get my janitorial work done at the church, get a flat tire fixed & get to my job later today.

My post is not to trivialize or be disrespectful of anything or go into an escapist denials. I pray that this chaos will pass.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just want to give a perspective to any inquirers ( at least in the US) as to what may appear on a world level in comparison to many areas where daily parish life goes on largely unaffected by this. For ex. right now, I have to get my janitorial work done at the church, get a flat tire fixed & get to my job later today.

My post is not to trivialize or be disrespectful of anything or go into an escapist denials. I pray that this chaos will pass.
Agreed. And it will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't any debate about this unfortunate event, for almost a week.. until you tried to start one
Uh, of course. There can't be any doubts that return of a large church body into Orthodoxy is an "unfortunate event". Can you explain how it's bad, using your own words?

It is extraordinary how Kremlin can bend minds en masse even without the Spectre of Communism, it truly is.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Uh, of course. There can't be any doubts that return of a large church body into Orthodoxy is an "unfortunate event". Can you explain how it's bad, using your own words?

It is extraordinary how Kremlin can bend minds en masse even without the Spectre of Communism, it truly is.
Russians are the best! That's why in Ukraine some want to restrict other Ukrainians from relating to Russia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Russians are the best! That's why in Ukraine some want to restrict other Ukrainians from relating to Russia
I'm literally related to Russians from Russia, and the ways your statement is wrong deserve another thread, which I trust no one wants to see here. Just on surface, Russia is responsible for the ongoing bloodshed in Ukraine claiming circa 15000 lives, numerous refugees, untold property damage. Russia, today, is the biggest sponsor of terrorism and spreader of extreme ideologies ( right AND left wing, they don't care).

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm literally related to Russians from Russia, and the ways your statement is wrong deserve another thread, which I trust no one wants to see here. Just on surface, Russia is responsible for the ongoing bloodshed in Ukraine claiming circa 15000 lives, numerous refugees, untold property damage. Russia, today, is the biggest sponsor of terrorism and spreader of extreme ideologies ( right AND left wing, they don't care).
Why did all those numerous refugees all escape to Russia then?
FEMEN is a Ukraine group so they cant all be russian and most of Ukraine are russians. This is something the Anglo west has yet to figure out.

Upvote 0

James4Christ 777

Oct 28, 2019
Monterey
✟6,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship

Biggest sponsor of terrorism? Iran, Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey says hello! Russia backs ethnic Russians in the Donbass region for their survival, against ethno nationalistic Fascists. Also last I looked Russia not on the State sponsorship of terrorism list or a place blacklisted by terrorism funding.

I know there is passions ranging on both sides in this break in communion, yet let's not throw accusations out there like "biggest sponsors of terrorism"

Last edited:
Upvote 0