Mechanicsburg
✟228,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The UOC described the decision by Archbishop Ieronymos to commemorate Epiphany as a knife in the back. How much more so is this decision by Patriarch Theodoros, who was supposed to be such a friend of Metropolitan Onuphry?! He event went to Odessa just a year ago to encourage the people to stay with the canonical Church and their holy primate, Metropolitan Onuphry.

Patriarch Theodoros lived in Odessa for 10 years, during the time when the schisms all happened! He knows what these people are about, firsthand.

What a betrayal!

• Prayers
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
(Serious Question) What section / jurisdiction of Orthodoxy has the least amount of drama and division ? Antiochian ?
I’m not sure. They all have their issues. But as David says - they’re also all connected.

Plus, Antioch and Jerusalem have some “drama” between them.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(Serious Question) What section / jurisdiction of Orthodoxy has the least amount of drama and division ? Antiochian ?
The jurisdiction themselves dont have much drama. It's the intrajurisdictional squabbles that's problematic. I would say stay away from the jurisdictions under the Phanar (or department or Eparchy or whatever they call their subdivisions).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The jurisdiction themselves dont have much drama. It's the intrajurisdictional squabbles that's problematic. I would say stay away from the jurisdictions under the Phanar (or department or Eparchy or whatever they call their subdivisions).
Why do they call the Ecumenical Patriarch "Phanar"? Is that a Turkish term?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why do they call the Ecumenical Patriarch "Phanar"? Is that a Turkish term?
Phanariotes- residents of the Fener section of Istanbul. Fanari in Greek means lamp, that section had many lamp posts. It became the last remaining greek neighborhood (its sort of became a ghetto or a remnant of the last Greek-Rum quarters) in the city and is where the EP is headquartered.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read that the Russian Church is trying to set up their own Churches in Africa (Alexandria's territory)
I hadn’t heard that. I did read a book this summer about an Athonite missionary to Zaire, but that’s Greek not Russian, and it was several decades ago

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I read that the Russian Church is trying to set up their own Churches in Africa (Alexandria's territory)
There are a few ROCOR churches in Africa. ROCOR was worldwide but I never heard of MP churches in Africa.
To be honest I think making Alexandria the patriarch of ALL Africa is not only ridiculous its unhistorical. Africa is the second largest and most diverse continent on the planet. Expecting a small operation like the Alexandrian patriarchate run by a handful of Europeans (many not even residing there) being able to oversee such a vast continent on their own is optimistic to put it mildly.

Originally when one spoke of the African church in ecclesiastical history it was the church of Carthage, Algeria and Tunisia they spoke of. It's where Tertullian, Cyprian and Augustine and the three Berber Popes came from. Alexandria had influence in the northeast part of the continent but their territory never spanned North Africa. When Orthodoxy speaks of the canons of the African code it has nothing to do with canons or councils formulated under Alexandria.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0