Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Although this might sound very politically hostile, it should be noted that the Turkish government regulates who is eligible to be the Patriarch of Constantinople, and one of the requirements is that of being a Turkish citizen from birth.

Considering that it’s such a small community, it makes sense why the Patriarch would want there to be more Orthodox citizens of Turkey.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Although this might sound very politically hostile, it should be noted that the Turkish government regulates who is eligible to be the Patriarch of Constantinople, and one of the requirements is that of being a Turkish citizen from birth.

Considering that it’s such a small community, it makes sense why the Patriarch would want there to be more Orthodox citizens of Turkey.
Is it a requirement for the Ecumenical Patriarch to be somehow Greek?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't like this statement, instead of looking for Greek nationalism (nothing wrong depending on the subject), they should be looking to gain more Turkish followers. Probably a lot of Turks don't try to reach Orthodoxy because they think it is only for Greeks, and those statements make it clear.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't like this statement, instead of looking for Greek nationalism (nothing wrong depending on the subject), they should be looking to gain more Turkish followers. Probably a lot of Turks don't try to reach Orthodoxy because they think it is only for Greeks, and those statements make it clear.

After reading the article it seemed to me that HAH Patriarch Bartholomew is asking Greeks to specifically return to the island of Imbros.

• Agree
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums