• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Patriarch Bartholomew calls on Orthodox Greeks to return to Turkey

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by David Cabrera, Aug 23, 2019.

1. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+3,209
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TheLostCoin

TheLostCoin A Lonesome Coin Supporter

+622
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Although this might sound very politically hostile, it should be noted that the Turkish government regulates who is eligible to be the Patriarch of Constantinople, and one of the requirements is that of being a Turkish citizen from birth.

Considering that it’s such a small community, it makes sense why the Patriarch would want there to be more Orthodox citizens of Turkey.

3. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,304
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I can appreciate the sentiment, but I would not want to go to where I would be persecuted.

4. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+3,209
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Is it a requirement for the Ecumenical Patriarch to be somehow Greek?

5. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+3,209
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't like this statement, instead of looking for Greek nationalism (nothing wrong depending on the subject), they should be looking to gain more Turkish followers. Probably a lot of Turks don't try to reach Orthodoxy because they think it is only for Greeks, and those statements make it clear.

6. TheLostCoin

TheLostCoin A Lonesome Coin Supporter

+622
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    No - but more Greeks living in Turkey = more Orthodox Turkish citizens by birth

7. LessThanPerfect2016

LessThanPerfect2016 Catechumen Supporter

+507
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    After reading the article it seemed to me that HAH Patriarch Bartholomew is asking Greeks to specifically return to the island of Imbros.

8. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,467
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    no, he must be a Turkish citizen.

9. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,738
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Return from where? Greek fertility rates are so low coupled with high abortions they were never born.

10. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,212
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don’t imagine it has anything to do with wanting to restore Constantinople as a seat of power, not just honor due to the place because of its ancient history.