heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wasn’t sure where to post this topic but thought here would be best.

I’m not sure how I feel about this and maybe it’s just because of my ignorance so please don’t be offended or take it the wrong way. The church I’m currently attending has couple of associate pastors and during service when they pray (opening prayer/during service/communion/etc), they read off prewritten prayers (in their own words). It’s great that they prepare prayers for service ahead of time but reading straight off the paper? I don’t know.... For some reason it bothers me more than it really should. I feel like as leaders of the church it’s kind of strange for them to do that. From time to time, members from the congregation (those who hold somewhat of a leadership role within the church) do the praying and they all take their written prayers and read them striaght off the paper. There’s somewhat of a leniency towards them (even though I don’t agree that they should do this) but for pastors to do that? Its kind of their job or rather part of their job (it’s our job as well to pray but that’s a different topic). Personally I think it’s weird and strange for pastors to do this. I’ve never seen pastors (as well as other members) do this at other churches (the church I’m currently attending is Presbyterian if that changes anything). To me it’s like a surgeon bringing in notes during surgery. It’s fine if they prepare, write down, do what ever they need to do before the actually surgery but to bring it in the operation room? It just feel half hearted or not prepared. To come up I’m front of the congregation during services with a piece of paper, especially pastors, it’s unsettling for me. The Holy Spirit helps us pray. To bring up a piece of paper and reading straight of that is a bothersome to me. I have a negative view of this and don’t really know how to or what to feel about this.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

I’m not sure how I feel about this and maybe it’s just because of my ignorance so please don’t be offended or take it the wrong way. The church I’m currently attending has couple of associate pastors and during service when they pray (opening prayer/during service/communion/etc), they read off prewritten prayers (in their own words). It’s great that they prepare prayers for service ahead of time but reading straight off the paper? I don’t know.... For some reason it bothers me more than it really should. I feel like as leaders of the church it’s kind of strange for them to do that. From time to time, members from the congregation (those who hold somewhat of a leadership role within the church) do the praying and they all take their written prayers and read them striaght off the paper. There’s somewhat of a leniency towards them (even though I don’t agree that they should do this) but for pastors to do that? Its kind of their job or rather part of their job (it’s our job as well to pray but that’s a different topic). Personally I think it’s weird and strange for pastors to do this. I’ve never seen pastors (as well as other members) do this at other churches (the church I’m currently attending is Presbyterian if that changes anything). To me it’s like a surgeon bringing in notes during surgery. It’s fine if they prepare, write down, do what ever they need to do before the actually surgery but to bring it in the operation room? It just feel half hearted or not prepared. To come up I’m front of the congregation during services with a piece of paper, especially pastors, it’s unsettling for me. The Holy Spirit helps us pray. To bring up a piece of paper and reading straight of that is a bothersome to me. I have a negative view of this and don’t really know how to or what to feel about this.
I am a volunteer pastor and I am totally against this, I do not believe in canned sermons or prayer.
This is the job of the Holy Spirit to direct the church leaders [Pastor] and it doesn't sound as if they have that leading and If they do, They have refused to give in fully and trust in the Holy Spirit to illuminate the Word through them. Are they new pastors?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You likely will get a variety of views on this. As someone who used to be Pentecostal (and never used prewritten prayers) and now am Orthodox, I have learned that reading prayers that were written before has an incredibly deep meaning. God speaks to me through praying these prayers, and my heart is often expressed perfectly in them. That doesn’t replace personal “spontaneous” prayers, but in a corporate setting, we use the prewrittwn prayers. The prayers we use are the prayers prayed back in the first couple centuries of the Church. Pretty awesome concept :)

Consider Psalms. Do you ever pray them when you read them? What about the Lord’s Prayer? A prewritten prayer can be prayed in a rote fashion, but it isn’t an automatic outcome. Likewise, a spontaneous prayer may not be truly focusing on God and may be easily distracted. Both spontaneous and prewritten prayers are very beneficial. I wouldn’t judge the spirituality of those who pray them - and from what I know - you will find prewritten prayers prayed in a Presbyterian Church. You likely will need to go to a different church to avoid that type of prayer (http://bookoforder.info/Book-of-Common-Worship.pdf - Presbyterians, please correct me if I’m wrong. I know there are a variety of styles within the Presbyterian Church)

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes I do not have a sermon until Sunday morning. I wait until something is revealed to me through the Word or another person or however God wants to reveal it.
I know of some pastors who preach what their congregation writes for them.
How is that leading and how would anyone receive conviction to stop sinning if you are always pleasing everyone ? One thing I have learned is that a pastor must have very thick skin because if you are real. Then you must be willing to let the Holy Spirit preach through you, the truths of the Word of God. Truth convicts :]

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I am a volunteer pastor and I am totally against this, I do not believe in canned sermons or prayer.
This is the job of the Holy Spirit to direct the church leaders [Pastor] and it doesn't sound as if they have that leading and If they do, They have refused to give in fully and trust in the Holy Spirit to illuminate the Word through them. Are they new pastors?

Why are planning and being led by the Spirit incompatible?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Why are planning and being led by the Spirit incompatible?
No i'm sorry, It's not wrong to plan out and work at a sermon. I do sometimes myself and that is fine But it must be BY the Holy Spirit, That is my meaning here. I do not believe in someone writing my sermons or just standing there reading a sermon by someone else.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No i'm sorry, It's not wrong to plan out and work at a sermon. I do sometimes myself and that is fine But it must be BY the Holy Spirit, That is my meaning here. I do not believe in someone writing my sermons or just standing there reading a sermon by someone else.

I don't think anyone on this thread is calling for that.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The Holy Spirit helps me write...

I am having conversations with him as I am doing it...

But, I'm no pastor... And/but I am a writer...

Most pastors who speak use "outlines" on their podium at the very least, I might be able to graduate to that... And most practice speaking, beforehand, in the/a mirror or to themselves, or someone else, what they want to say beforehand, from their outlines, and practice, so as to reinforce it, when it comes time to preach... some may even stray form their outlines occasionally and say that is the Holy Spirit as well... But, most I know of, at least do do some preparing and do write down outlines or headlines at least, you might catch them walking back over to their podium to glance at it from time to time...

Unless you think any preparing or any notes, is not fully depending on the Holy Spirit, but, I would be inclined to disagree, cause I think the Holy Spirit communicates in the preparing as well... I don't know how to read a crowd yet, like some speakers learn to... And adjust and adapt based on that... For me it can kinda seem vain practicing speaking to yourself in front of a mirror or whatever, kinda like taking selfies...

Is it the lack of eye contact sometimes, (although, when I do read something written down, I glance at a sentence quickly, then look up and at the people most of the time, then glancing at the next sentence, then look up and at them and speak, ect,) Anyway, is it the lack of eye contact and not being able to read a crowd and adjust to that that bothers you...? Or not using a lot of body language when they preach...? Or, does it seem insincere in some way...? Or what...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think anyone on this thread is calling for that.
I don't care how it's done as long as God is behind it.
Too many pastors let google make their message for them now days in my humble opinion.
It must be salty and there is nothing worse than a lukewarm church.
If you aren't bringing the Holy Spirit into it and letting Him speak through you, that is what you will have soon enough.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

Most pastors who speak use "outlines" on their podium at the very least, I might be able to graduate to that... And most practice speaking, beforehand, in the/a mirror or to themselves, or someone else, what they want to say beforehand, from their outlines, and practice, so as to reinforce it, when it comes time to preach... some may even stray form their outlines occasionally and say that is the Holy Spirit as well... But, most I know of, at least do do some preparing and do write down outlines or headlines at least, you might catch them walking back over to their podium to glance at it from time to time...

Unless you think any preparing or any notes, is not fully depending on the Holy Spirit, but, I would be inclined to disagree, cause I think the Holy Spirit communicates in the preparing as well... I don't know how to read a crowd yet, like some speakers learn to... And adjust and adapt based on that... For me it can kinda seem vain practicing speaking to yourself in front of a mirror or whatever, kinda like taking selfies...

Is it the lack of eye contact sometimes, (although, when I do read something written down, I glance at a sentence quickly, then look up and at the people most of the time, then glancing at the next sentence, then look up and at them and speak, ect,) Anyway, is it the lack of eye contact and not being able to read a crowd and adjust to that that bothers you...? Or not using a lot of body language when they preach...? Or, does it seem insincere in some way...? Or what...?

God Bless!
Outlines are fine and when particular subjects are being discussed I used them as well. I jot notes in my bible as well. I am a bible preacher so I stay pretty close to the Word and God provides me enough.
I will get on a rabbit trail once in awhile though. Have done safaris lol

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thank you for your reply.
One of the associate pastor is pretty new. He’s been here for ~ 1 year. The other I’m not too sure but he’s been here for a while.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for your reply.
One of the associate pastor is pretty new. He’s been here for ~ 1 year. The other I’m not too sure but he’s been here for a while.
Like said above there are many views but I don't feel right about it with praying for sure. { I feel it should come from the heart] Just my two cents [And I may have to give you back change]
I can see a new pastor reading a lot while preaching though, because when I first preached I hung on to my paper like it was a life jacket. lol
Now im probably ready for a straightjacket, But anyway I usually just get up there and expository preach my little heart out :]

• Friendly
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When I did introductions in church and also in presenting the elements for communion, the pre prayers, were spoken off just some notes of items that I wanted covered within my prayer. The prayers went off the cuff as long as I touched on those points I had jotted down. Course in communion I used the bible quotes once under way, just the prayer was from my notes.. My intro's the pastor wanted me to run about 12-13 minutes, sometimes I just said a prayer to open and close with but sometimes I needed the notes to tie it into the message of the intro. Closing prayers could be long, I would have lists of peoples conditions to cover ( anxiety, sin, worry etc etc) and often prayers for people who had problems or were missing because of illness etc. It took research and scripture comparisons to put a message together, I spent two to four hours in preparation for an intro the length the pastor wanted... And he had me do them often. So you can imagine that notes were used. When it goes really well it doesn't look like you are reading down a transcript-manuscript or what ever script LOL.

On the other hand Dr David Jeremiah has stated outright that he reads the whole service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I know some people like there prewritten prayers because they don't want to be saying "Um" in the middle of a payer.
UM whatchu talking bout willis lol !!!

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. For the general congregational prayer, I'm not sure about praying verbatim from a pre-written prayer. It's fine to make a list of congregational prayer needs and pray over that list. That way the more pressing hospital or homebound needs are considered. Pre-written prayers for communion or other parts of the service are fine though.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

God Bless!
It’s really none of those things. Of course you should prepare ahead and have notes for the sermon (outlines/notes/etc) and same goes well with a prayer. Things need to be organized or it’ll just be chaotic. It’s great that they’re thinking about and gathering their thoughts and hearts into one prayer but just strange to me that a pastor of all people brings a piece of paper up and reads the prayer off the paper.

Upvote 0