Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
but what about smaller churches? Should a pastors salary decrease if say the church is losing members and is small to begin with?

I would not blame the pastor for church membership. The work of the Holy Spirit should be accredited to no man. If his salary is cut, then it ought to be for the practical reason of the church not having enough cash to cover his salary, plus all operating expenses and something saved for a rainy day.

If he is clearly not fit to be a pastor, then that's another matter.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't ''belong'' to a church but attend one from time to time that I'm comfortable with, it's Baptist, and the pastor makes around $95,000 which is probably reasonable, but it's a pretty big church. Lots of clubs, and activities.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just curious what other pastors are paid...I know some of the big churches make a million dollar...but what about smaller churches? Should a pastors salary decrease if say the church is losing members and is small to begin with?

It depends because some pastors get a housing allowance or parsonage to stay in which is part of their benefits in that position. It saves them paying a rent or mortgage.
Baptist usually have at least an annual business meeting regarding the budget where the amount paid for staff is discussed. If your a member of a Baptist church you should be able to request a written copy of the budget

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biblical principle is simple. The laborer is worth their hire.
And it would seem it is quite hefty for the baptists. Creflo Dollar makes more but that is another story.
So how mich should he be paid? Enough to support himself and family (If married). Pastors should not expect to get rich here on earth for doing what God called them to do.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It depends because some pastors get a housing allowance or parsonage to stay in which is part of their benefits in that position. It saves them paying a rent or mortgage.
Baptist usually have at least an annual business meeting regarding the budget where the amount paid for staff is discussed. If your a member of a Baptist church you should be able to request a written copy of the budget
Clergy are considered self-employed under US tax laws. If a housing allowance is given, then this is considered taxable income. If a residence is provided for the pastor, then this to is taxed on the fair market value of its rental.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟610,628.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And it would seem it is quite hefty for the baptists. Creflo Dollar makes more but that is another story.
So how mich should he be paid? Enough to support himself and family (If married). Pastors should not expect to get rich here on earth for doing what God called them to do.
Logically it would seem to me that Clergy salaries should probably not be markedly different from teachers salaries if you are looking for equivalent roles in today's society. I suspect that provides some sort of range in which needs and wants can be resolved.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Just curious what other pastors are paid...I know some of the big churches make a million dollar...but what about smaller churches? Should a pastors salary decrease if say the church is losing members and is small to begin with?

Our pastor's salary is comparable to what local teachers are payed, maybe a little more.

Salary is usually determined by what the congregation can afford. Most mainline churches have pastors that are significantly underpayed relative to their educational attainment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biblical principle is simple. The laborer is worth their hire.
The word is reward. There is a "hook" though because we are told in another verse: "they have their reward in full." Our reward should be in the imperishable treasures of Heaven. For where our Treasure is there our Heart will be.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Most southern baptist pastors don't get a huge salary and some don't even make enough from what they do to live off of. I don't mean, to live lavishly, but I mean cover their day to day expenses. I have known many pastors that had to have a full time job on top of being a pastor. You have to remember that, at least in America, the pastor must pay his own taxes into the government and state (15.3% and then whatever the state tax is) plus there is a possibility of him having to pay taxes on any housing allowance he receives, and he must also take out for retirement as well. I think the average package for a SBC pastor is supposedly about 41,000-55,000 but they don't put all of that in their pocket. That money goes to salary, health insurance, taxes, and retirement. I have known of pastors that didn't even make that and if they weren't working another job or their wives weren't working would not make it financially.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Pastors should be paid enough to live as comfortable as the congregation he serves, no more no less. 41,000 dollars salary in some places is quite a lot. 75,000 in other places is required just to live. The pastor should never have to live below the people he serves.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our church is small. Averages 20-40 people...

Pastor makes 36k a year, free housing, utility, phone, health insurance...

Tithes come In to cover most weeks...church balloon payment is coming up next year..uunfortunately they have saved for this or rainy days...7 yes yes church was full I am told...so sad that nothing was put away then

They are a household of two

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello. Usually the Deacons/Elders meeting will set the Pastor's salary in line with what the Treasurer indicates the church can afford? God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums