Pastors, Hasids and Sola Scriptura with a Danish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YatzivPatgam

Oct 17, 2003
Jerusalem
Visit site
✟15,405.00
Faith
Judaism
BS'D

Shalom Forum,

Not exactly an avid poster on this side of the fence ;) . Recently,I had the honor of attending a inter-denomnational "lunch in". The Rabbi I'm shadowing under ( I'm a student Rabbi ) already had plans on counciling someone in a certian life cycle, so he sent me in his stead so our Jewish commuinity could be represented.

Well, my table mate was the local Protestant Pastor and avid Evangelist of the Gospel. Sitting next to a Hasidic Jew I imagine was a bit too much of a temptation for him and he struck up a conversation with me (natrually).

Soon enough our polite conversation turned to Bible. I was pointing out to him that one major diffrence between Kosher Jews and Protestants is that we come to certian theological truths diffrently, and that infact, we read the bible very diffrent ways.

He asked for an example, so I explained to him that he reads the scripture in the context of Sola Scriptura, meaning, that Salvation alone comes through the scripture and therefore scripture outweights all tradtions and outside information. Basicly, what you see is what you get.

Now, where as I (The Jew ) explained that we believed that the Tanakh was oraly handed down from generation to generation with oral explanations ( All orginateing from G-d dictateing this to Moses ). Even Josephus points out that even the Pharisees ( The orginators perhaps of Torah-based Kosher Judaism) handed down tradtions.

Now the Pastor gracefully told me my Understanding of Sola Scriptura was misunderstood. By that time we were interupted and we never got to further discuss.

Perhaps you members here could explain where I went wrong? If I did at all?

Thanks in Advance

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I can't speak for the pastor you spoke with, but I can further explain Sola Scriptura. According to the orthodox Protestant doctrine of sola scriptura, salvation does not come through the scriptures. But I'm not really sure I understand what you meant. Also, traditions and outside information are an important part of sola scriptura, the sacred scriptures are to be interpreted in and by the church with its traditions and outside information. But according to sola scriptura, sacred scripture is the only infallible source of authority, not the only source of authority. So if there is an apparent contradiction between sacred scripture and church tradition, than sacred scripture is always right, since tradition is not infallible. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.